FreeNAS 11.3-U3 SMB requires restart after boot

MikeyG

Patron
Just updated to 11.3-U3 and noticed that none of my SMB shares were visible. Restarted the SMB service, and they immediately showed up. Restarted FreeNAS, and again, when I go to \\nas nothing is visible until I restart the service. Not a big deal, but didn't see this on U2.

Anyone else noticing the same thing after updating?

jon_2112

Explorer
Same is happening to me.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Same here. Try changing a setting in the SMB server, saving it, and changing it back and saving it. Likewise with the shares.

elorimer

Contributor
Same here. Restarting worked, editing the settings and rebooting didn't.

BrianMCarney

Cadet
I have this problem as well. Restarting the SMB service does not reliably fix it, but after switching it off and on several times, I regained access. Trying to access shares from a MacOS Catalina machine on local network.

Chlorus

Dabbler

Ben74

Cadet
Yes I have this too, thank you. Oddly I had it with FTP in all prior versions of 11.3 (FTP now autostarts fine, and it's SMB that needs a manual toggle off and on).

tprelog

Patron
I have the same issue after as well. In my case, restarting the SMB service seems to have worked

Thanks for posting this and creating a ticket!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Yes, I’m having the same problem. Thanks for creating a ticket.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Had the same issue and applied the patch manually to /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/etc.py , reboot and it worked again.
Nice! But I don't reboot very often, so I'll just toggle the service whenever I do, while awaiting the next update.

jlpellet

Patron
Thanks for the info/update. Can you explainf how you "applied" the patch? It's unclear to me since the "patch" does not seem to do anything to etc.py. Thanks in advance for education.

John

Had the same issue and applied the patch manually to /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/etc.py , reboot and it worked again.

Same issue... Restarting SMB service fixes it.

Manually added {'type': 'mako', 'path': 'local/smb4_share.conf'}, as line 172 in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/etc.py and all seems well...

Thanks!

And Thanks! to @mgittelman for the jira bug post!

AltecBX

Patron
Not working for me either. After a restart of SMB service, I can see my files again.
I'll wait for a fix for this.... Thanks

jlpellet

Patron
Used nano to edit etc.py per above & after reboot SMB worked properly on 5 servers updated. Thanks for the explicit direction.