FreeNAS 11.3 Released

seanm

Guru
@Kris Moore doesn't FreeNAS now appear in Windows 'Network Neighborhood'? I don't see that listed in the release notes, but it's something many have wanted for a long time...

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
One thing that concerns me a bit that's in the release notes is that it is apparently no longer allowed to have the system data set on encrypted pool with a passphrase.

...apart from the boot pool an encrypted pool with a passphrase is all I have...

Velcade

Contributor
Just updated to FreeNAS-11.3-RELEASE. No issue whatsoever. PLEX was up and running right away. Updated PLEX and then updated both drive pools and everything seems fine. Nice work with this release, things look good.

I am getting one alert
Code:
IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).
not sure what it means yet...

msbxa

Contributor
Just updated to FreeNAS-11.3-RELEASE. No issue whatsoever. PLEX was up and running right away. Updated PLEX and then updated both drive pools and everything seems fine. Nice work with this release, things look good.

I am getting one alert
Code:
IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).
not sure what it means yet...
I had the same problem and I applied the following shell command: ipmitool sel clear , to clear it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You should probably have a look at the SEL ("System Event Log") first before clearing it. There may be a reason for it filling up with messages ...

ipmitool sel list

HTH,
Patrick

Spacemarine

Contributor
One thing that concerns me a bit that's in the release notes is that it is apparently no longer allowed to have the system data set on encrypted pool with a passphrase.

...apart from the boot pool an encrypted pool with a passphrase is all I have...

Same problem here. I have a system with 6 encrypted HDDs, that is booted from 2 USB drives. Until 11.2-U8 is was possible to protect the 6 drives with a passphrase, it seems this is no longer the case. The mainbaord only has 6 Sata-connectors, which means I can not update my configuration to 11.3. Bummer.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Same problem here. I have a system with 6 encrypted HDDs, that is booted from 2 USB drives. Until 11.2-U8 is was possible to protect the 6 drives with a passphrase, it seems this is no longer the case. The mainbaord only has 6 Sata-connectors, which means I can not update my configuration to 11.3. Bummer.

I suppose that I could live with no passphrase if disabling it is possible.

gearhead

Contributor
I moved from 11.2U7 to 11.30 (fresh install & uploaded config). First of all thanks guys, nice work. Everything seems a bit faster, specially boot up. I faced one problem that forced me back to 11.2U8. I could not write to some directories in one of my pools. It seemed I had to go to the directory and change attributes via windows explorer. Too time consuming, so I went back to 11.2U8.

blueether

Patron
Just had a disk fail, replacing the disk worked as expected in 11.3

Velcade

Contributor

ronclark

Dabbler
Not sure if i found a bug or not, its happens twice when replace drives I get a error in the GUI of
Code:
Error: UNIQUE constraint failed: storage_encrypteddisk.encrypted_provider

Then in the debug windows i get

Code:
savecore: /dev/da6p1: Operation not permitted
savecore: /dev/da3p1: Operation not permitted

but it resilvers and complates just fine

Apollo

Wizard
Not sure if i found a bug or not, its happens twice when replace drives I get a error in the GUI of
Code:
Error: UNIQUE constraint failed: storage_encrypteddisk.encrypted_provider

Then in the debug windows i get

Code:
savecore: /dev/da6p1: Operation not permitted
savecore: /dev/da3p1: Operation not permitted

but it resilvers and complates just fine
Complete resilvering doesn't mean the pool is going to survine a reboot. Make sure the disk have the same encryption and make sure you make a copy of the new key.

ronclark

Dabbler
Complete resilvering doesn't mean the pool is going to survine a reboot. Make sure the disk have the same encryption and make sure you make a copy of the new key.

I rebooted and it works just fine

Hpb256632

Cadet
I have a problem with freenas 11.3 when I do a fresh install and choose from with bios then there is no hard drive found after the install is complete and reboots so I have to do it over and use uefi as a format and then it can boot up.

deergod

Cadet
I ended up getting it to work. Under System -> Boot.
Thanks for explaining this. Unfortunately, I am stuck now at 11.2-U8. Selecting the STABLE update train skipped me from U6 to U8. Anyone know how to get on the 11.3 train without a full install+config restore. I'm not super confident in that method and I can't afford to try it until there is a high likelihood of success. I just spent my entire Saturday migrating a dozen drives between servers, and I need something to be easy.

Hpb256632

Cadet
Thanks for explaining this. Unfortunately, I am stuck now at 11.2-U8. Selecting the STABLE update train skipped me from U6 to U8. Anyone know how to get on the 11.3 train without a full install+config restore. I'm not super confident in that method and I can't afford to try it until there is a high likelihood of success. I just spent my entire Saturday migrating a dozen drives between servers, and I need something to be easy.
Try the update option as a manual first download free as 11.3 file then update it manually.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Well, this whole "system dataset and encrypted pool with passphrase" thing wasn't so bad: everything just works as it did in 11.2.

1582454522141.png

I must say that it is very gratifying that I can finally see my CPU temperature, volunteering to use my server to test out kernel patches really pays off now :D !

LotLits

Dabbler
Well, this whole "system dataset and encrypted pool with passphrase" thing wasn't so bad: everything just works as it did in 11.2.

Just to verify, you didn't do anything and your update worked? It's really what's keeping me from upgrading at he moment.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Just to verify, you didn't do anything and your update worked? It's really what's keeping me from upgrading at he moment.

Yes. To be more precise: I upgraded 11.2U7 to 11.2U8, did a quick check if anything broke and then went for 11.3. When I now look at the system dataset settings page there are also no warnings or anything. It was my hunch that it would work, considering the deliberate choice of wording. It is no longer allowed to move the system dataset to an encrypted pool with a passphrase. Turns out that I was right, but I'll keep a close look on future release notes to see if at some point my configuration will become a problem. It would be nice if the devs could shed some light onto their plans here.

One thing I ran into is that it is wise to do a browser refresh after the upgrade. First I couldn't unlock my pool, but that was because my browser still used 11.2 front-end code. After unlocking my pool I did a quick check to see if I had proper R/W access to my Samba shares and then went ahead to upgrade my jails to 11.3-RELEASE.

I must say that the apprehension I had turned out not to be justified at all, it was a pretty smooth transition.

deergod

Cadet
Try the update option as a manual first download free as 11.3 file then update it manually.
I was just about to try activating my U6 environment, but before I could even reboot, 11.3 showed up (overnight?) in the update list. No amount of refreshing made it show up. Anyone know how this actually works?? Now I just have to decide when.