FreeNAS 11.3 Released

PetrZ

Dabbler
Thank you, @anodos .

It would be nice to have the possibility of reading API documentation before upgrading to some version. /api/docs suppose, that I have 11.3 already installed. (I don't, all my systems are still 11.2-Ux).

I am not aware of the possibility to give e.g. to user Alice permission to run all jail related operations, including creating and deleting them, but to user Bob only permission to starting/stopping existing jails. And to user Carol permission to manage iSCSI, but with no access to jails. Just an example. Is that with API 2.0 already possible?

Awesome!

I will install this tomorrow and report back...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you, @anodos .

It would be nice to have the possibility of reading API documentation before upgrading to some version. /api/docs suppose, that I have 11.3 already installed. (I don't, all my systems are still 11.2-Ux).

I am not aware of the possibility to give e.g. to user Alice permission to run all jail related operations, including creating and deleting them, but to user Bob only permission to starting/stopping existing jails. And to user Carol permission to manage iSCSI, but with no access to jails. Just an example. Is that with API 2.0 already possible?

garfunkel

Dabbler
Upgraded from RC2 with no issues. The RC's have been pretty solid for me. :)

One thing though, it doesn't seem like any of the community plugins are working, attempting to install any of them (default options) results in "Error: I/O operation on closed file.". Is there a log file somewhere with more details perhaps?

msbxa

Contributor
Upgraded from RC2 with no issues. The RC's have been pretty solid for me. :)

One thing though, it doesn't seem like any of the community plugins are working, attempting to install any of them (default options) results in "Error: I/O operation on closed file.". Is there a log file somewhere with more details perhaps?

I managed to install Sabnzbd, Sickchill and Unifi5 all in community plugins.

Computer8080

Cadet
@anodos Did 11.3 remove the ability for the snapshot creation start time to be later than the end time? I often work late and do hourly snapshots, so I have the snapshot start time set to 8 AM and end time at 1.15 AM. After the update, my previous task still works, but seems that if I try to change anything in the task or try to create a new one with the same times, I get a Validation error and the Python script crashes. Also the error window itself seems wonky. The error traceback is out of the window and I get 2 of them after pressing "More info".

Attachments

• chrome_2020-01-30_22-28-56.png
    chrome_2020-01-30_22-28-56.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 463
  • chrome_2020-01-30_22-29-31.png
    chrome_2020-01-30_22-29-31.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 460
  • chrome_2020-01-30_22-29-40.png
    chrome_2020-01-30_22-29-40.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 470
  • Traceback.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 396

Apollo

Wizard
Update from 11.2-U7 to 11.3 Release on my Threadripper wasn't straigt forward.
Freenas was installed on a SSD and has been running fine with 11.2-U7 for 59 days 22 hr and 1 minutes or so. I then changed train to the 11.3 Release, downloaded the config file and then updated. Upon rebooting it crashed with "Cannot Load Kernel" error message.
I was stuck. I couldn't even revert back to the previous boot environment as it couldn't proceed to the Freenas CLI logo.

I salvage the install from my backup system which had laready been through with the update to 11.3 Release as I was on RC2 at the time.
I used the SSD on my Threadripper which booted without issue but the backup config was loaded instead.
Once I was able to access GUI, I cloned the boot environment and made it active. I rebooted and then once in GUI again I uploaded the config.
After a while, my encrypted volume was online but iocage where not showing in the list. So I rebooted, loaded previous 11.2-U7 that was used on the backup system, cloned, rebooted and then uploaded the config file. Everything was working as it was prior to the update to 11.3-Release.
I then went to update the train to 11.3-Release and the procedure went smoothly this time.
I noticed a peculiar thing, though. in both attempts, when I tried to access the content of the jails through GUI or CLI using "iocage list" nothing showed up and the command was still unresponsive.
I decided to wait as the system seemed to be operational. I waited and then I saw the fails starting to get populated. All of them where in the OFF state.
I waited as this is a similar behavior I had on my backup and after a few more minutes the jails started turning back on.
All the jails that were in the ON state before the update have retained their status after the update so it is good. They are all functional it seems, but on this system, when I do a clean reboot, the iocage jails are going to be up and running only 15 minutes later.
Also, when I do "iocage list" from CLI, it takes about 30 seconds for the list to be populated. This was never the case prior to the update. It used to be nearly instantaneous.
Performing "iocage console jailname" also takes a moment.

Last, and this as been happening on my backup system as well, when I perform a shutdown from the GUI, I am being asked to confirm and only when I do will the system shutdown or restart, once reboot or shutdown is underway, the Web interface (Firefox in my case) show the https://IP/UI/Shutdown" page.
When the system has rebooted, the page is still present and if I refresh the page, the system will shutdown once more, and thus without confirmation dialog. The reboot will happen in the background without information being fed back to the user, unless the content of the CLI screen is being looked at. Even then, there is no indication the system is going down until GELI information are popping up.

I spent about 2 hrs working those issues, now system is up and running, but this shouldn't have been the case in the first place.
I am not really impressed with the quality of update process.

Tony-1971

Contributor
Upgrade from 11.2-U7 to 11.3 without problem (pools upgraded too).
I like the new dashboard.

Best Regards,
Antonio

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
@anodos Did 11.3 remove the ability for the snapshot creation start time to be later than the end time? I often work late and do hourly snapshots, so I have the snapshot start time set to 8 AM and end time at 1.15 AM. After the update, my previous task still works, but seems that if I try to change anything in the task or try to create a new one with the same times, I get a Validation error and the Python script crashes. Also the error window itself seems wonky. The error traceback is out of the window and I get 2 of them after pressing "More info".

Can you "report a bug" for this type of issue. We'd like to resolve ASAP.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Thank you, @anodos .

The APIs are published (but still hard to find) at: https://api.ixsystems.com/freenas/

Helvehammer

Cadet
Hi
I have big problem after updating to 11.3. I'm using LSI 9341-8i controller with disks in JBOD mode. After update all of them don't show (BTX loader see them). I've tried clean install and it's also show no drives available. After going back to 11.2 everything works again.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi
I have big problem after updating to 11.3. I'm using LSI 9341-8i controller with disks in JBOD mode. After update all of them don't show (BTX loader see them). I've tried clean install and it's also show no drives available. After going back to 11.2 everything works again.
Please file a bug ticket and attach a debug to it.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Upgrade went fine from 11.2U7 to 11.3-Release. I'm using FreeNAS for SMB Shares and iSCSI LUNs. System is a SuperMicro 5028D-TN4T

I noticed the logon page still shows the "Legacy Web Interface" as a button/option...clicking it prompts "Log in to Legacy Interface?" prompt then just it reloads the same UI/logon page, but without the "Legacy Web" Interface button...

jenksdrummer

Patron
Upgrade on 2nd box went fine from 11.3RC2 to 11.3-Release; no issues noted. 2nd box is a SuperMicro 5029P-E1CTR12L; using the LSI 3008-IT onboard controller.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Clean install with importing two encrypted pools. No issues faced at all. VLANs are working in Jails as well. Currently in process of rebuilding my jails from scratch. So far so good. Once done the next step is to deepdive into the ACL and move out of the standard Unix permission. :]

Really nice work iXsystems!

@Kris Moore I hope all of the applause is being passed to DEVs. They did a hell of a good job this time (at least from my point of view)

apwiggins

Dabbler
Nice looking update!!

Using serial interace for VM, launches the shell but cu -l /dev/nmdmXX doesn't automatically connect to the interface and generates a resizewin error.
1580510721208.png

However, you can then manually connect by re-issuing the cu command.

xCatalystx

Contributor
Whats the console procedure to upgrade all iocage jails to 11.3 base? I haven't upgraded yet but would like to know for when I do.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
11.3 is really unhappy I think because my Jail storage pool is encrypted with a passphrase. As soon as I unlock it things get problematic. It takes a very long time to actually unlock even after the dialogue says it has been unlocked. I try to unlock the next pool and the lock icon does nothing then several minutes later like 10 enter passphrase dialogue boxes pop up. The installed Plugins page and Jails Page take over a minute to populate the configured jails/plugins. Setting a plugin to Boot / not Boot takes minutes "Please Wait". Even "iocage list" and "iocage console" commands take almost a minute to return anything. Starting 11 jails at the same time takes over 15 minutes.

The plugins/jail applications seem to be as snappy as ever, however. Also once I get into the jails console commands run normally.

Yes, I have cleared browser cache, Private Window, and Edge Browser. Tried iocage list / iocage console through SSH on PowerShell. Rebooting FreeNAS.

Mannekino

Patron
I have two physical network interfaces em0 and em1. I'm currently not using em0 but it's showing up on the dashboard but in a disconnected state. Is there anyway for me to remove this interface from the dashboard as I have no need to monitor it.