FreeNAS 11.3 - Plex Server Installed Failed, Caused Server Reboot/Crash, Can't Remove Broken Install

amp88

Explorer
Hi all. I did a fresh install of 11.3 last night to try and fix another problem (unsuccessfully), and now I've run into another problem while trying to install plex server.

I went to Plugins, left the "Browse a Collection" drop-down at iXsystems, selected Plex Media Server (Version: 1.18.2.2058, not the beta), clicked Install. I gave the jail a name (plex-jail), left everything else on default, and clicked Save. The install dialog window popped up, and after waiting about a minute I decided to go and get a coffee while it installed.

When I came back a few minutes later, my FreeNAS server had rebooted without my input (causing a file transfer to the machine which was ongoing to fail). When I logged back into FreeNAS, I went into Jails and the plex-jail install was listed as "CORRUPT" for the State column. I tried to delete it by selecting it and hitting delete, but I got the following error dialog:

plex_delete_fail.png

2 questions: How can I determine what caused the install to fail and the FreeNAS to reboot (there doesn't seem to be any sort of installation log in the Jails section of the FreeNAS interface) and how can I remove the CORRUPT plex install? Note: I tried the same procedure as the first time for the additional "plex-jail-test" install while present at the machine (no coffee break), and the same thing happened.

System configuration:
FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE on XCP-ng 8.0.
Dell R730 PowerEdge Server
CPU: 2 x Intel E5-4655 v3, 8 cores allocated to FreeNAS
RAM: 64GB total, 18GB allocated to FreeNAS

Thanks.

edit: Just tried to install the syncthing plugin and get the same behaviour (install causes reboot/crash, can't delete due to the missing configuration error).

Last edited:

amp88

Explorer
Just replicated the failure while watching the FreeNAS console and this is the error I'm getting. I don't know if it's a FreeNAS problem or an XCP-ng problem.

SnapShot.jpg

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault code = supervisor read data, page not present

amp88

Explorer
Just tried to install plex media server again, but this time using a static IP assignment (instead of leaving it on the default DHCP) because I found some other search results relating to problems with DHCP settings. I get different behaviour: the plex install fails, but it doesn't cause a server crash, and the installer is able to clean up the broken plex install (i.e. there isn't a CORRUPTED entry in the Jails section).

plex_static_ip_failure.png

edit: in the above case (attempting to install plex with static IP assignment), the only output written to the console during the process is: "bridge0: Ethernet address: <MAC>". There are no errors or other information.

Last edited:

amp88

Explorer
For testing I created a new FreeNAS 11.2-U7 VM and tried to install plex in it. With the default settings (DHCP enabled), I got the same panic/error and system reboot as I did on 11.3-RELEASE with DHCP enabled, which resulted in the same CORRUPTED plex install I couldn't delete. When trying to install plex on 11.2-U7 with DHCP disabled and specifying static IP settings, the installation succeeded.

amp88

Explorer
I just did a bare metal install of FreeNAS on the R730, and I could install plex with the default options (including DHCP enabled) successfully. The console output was:

Code:
bridge0: Ethernet address: <MAC>
epair0a: Ethernet address: <MAC>
epair0b: Ethernet address: <MAC>
bxe2: NIC Link is Up, 1000 Mpbs Full Duplex, Flow Control: ON - receive & transmit

So the problem appears to be related to virtualisation, but I don't know if it's on the FreeBSD side or the XCP-ng side. Anyone got any ways to test that?

zachdude1100

Cadet
I had the same issue on xcp-ng 8.1. My solution was to hardware passthrough a NIC for FreeNAS. Not ideal, but I had spares.

amp88

Explorer
I had the same issue on xcp-ng 8.1. My solution was to hardware passthrough a NIC for FreeNAS. Not ideal, but I had spares.
Yeah, that's a viable workaround.

cods4

Dabbler
Has anyone come up with any other solutions for this? I have just rebuilt my server to run as a VM in XCP-NG and I have come across this same issue. We have just started a 4 week lock down here in New Zealand so I wont be able to get a second NIC in the near future.

scrat12345

Cadet
Hello,
I ran into the same issue and so far trying to find some way aside of passthrough.
I was able to build jail in cli and the vm didn't crash

I assume the problem could be with more complex build for jail via gui

this cmd works for me :

iocage create --release 11.3-RELEASE --name jail_transmission1 \
boot="on" \
allow_raw_sockets="1" \
ip4_addr="xn0|192.168.254.51/24" \
resolver="nameserver 192.168.254.1"

+-----+--------------------+-------+--------------+----------------+
| JID | NAME | STATE | RELEASE | IP4 |
+=====+====================+=======+==============+================+
| 1 | jail_transmission1 | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.254.51 |

but still plug-in build or jail in gui does not work
I moved recently from VMware to XCP and this is first issue I run.

amp88

Explorer
Hello,
I ran into the same issue and so far trying to find some way aside of passthrough.
I was able to build jail in cli and the vm didn't crash

I assume the problem could be with more complex build for jail via gui

this cmd works for me :

iocage create --release 11.3-RELEASE --name jail_transmission1 \
boot="on" \
allow_raw_sockets="1" \
ip4_addr="xn0|192.168.254.51/24" \
resolver="nameserver 192.168.254.1"

| JID | NAME | STATE | RELEASE | IP4 |
+=====+====================+=======+==============+================+
| 1 | jail_transmission1 | up | 11.3-RELEASE | 192.168.254.51 |

but still plug-in build or jail in gui does not work
I moved recently from VMware to XCP and this is first issue I run.
Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

scrat12345

Cadet
small update:

it crashes with vnet on in cmd as well
snip:
ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.254.53/24" defaultrouter="192.168.254.1" vnet="on" \

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
small update:

it crashes with vnet on in cmd as well
snip:
ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.254.53/24" defaultrouter="192.168.254.1" vnet="on" \
What freenas version. There were some bugs in the releases prior to U2. So nothing worked. Upgrade to the latest.

scrat12345

Cadet
the last one downloaded yesterday i am playing with it all days
clean install xcppng 8.1 as well

MeLLo

Cadet
Hello, I'm also having the same problem with Freenas 11.3 U2, running on XCP-NG 8.1
I was able to make it work by using the Truenas 12.0 system update (I know, it is not stable and is not suitable for production).
So if you are using a vm, you can create a backup of the vm (snapshot?) and try the Unstable Truenas 12.0, it might be ok for home use.

scrat12345

Cadet
Hi,
I tried the 12 just from curiosity, but SMB was crashing, panic kernel , reading over was fine but when i wanted to write something it got panic and restart pid.
so back on 11.3

MeLLo

Cadet
Hi,
I tried the 12 just from curiosity, but SMB was crashing, panic kernel , reading over was fine but when i wanted to write something it got panic and restart pid.
so back on 11.3
Yes the SMB wasn't working for me (could read but couldn't write) but with the last update it is working now. So if you want to try the "unstable" version, right now is working just fine for me (i would really like to see the 11.3 working fine, but 12 is my bet for now)