FreeNAS 11.3 Nightly and Samba 4.9 : add 2 existing Active Directory?

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Hi All,

I just downloaded and installed FN 11.3 Beta Nightly and notice samba is now at 4.9.4, that is great.

Samba 4.9.4 will allow us to add a UNIX machine as a domain controller. The "Service/Domain Controller" in the Ajax GUI appears to be setup for making a new FreeNAS server a new Active Directory domain. Is there somewhere that I can read what it does(add to the DB or does it make a flat .conf file) when you setup AD?

What I want to know is if I can fill in the parameters and have this FreeNAS AD server added to the domain? Or will I have 2 domains with the same name.

Looks like I have some testing to do at home with virtual machines running FreeNAS 11.3 beta

Bummer the guide is not up yet, but verycool that there is a new chart for some NFS stats in the Legacy GUI.

Thanks,
Joe

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All,

I just downloaded and installed FN 11.3 Beta Nightly and notice samba is now at 4.9.4, that is great.

Samba 4.9.4 will allow us to add a UNIX machine as a domain controller. The "Service/Domain Controller" in the Ajax GUI appears to be setup for making a new FreeNAS server a new Active Directory domain. Is there somewhere that I can read what it does(add to the DB or does it make a flat .conf file) when you setup AD?

What I want to know is if I can fill in the parameters and have this FreeNAS AD server added to the domain? Or will I have 2 domains with the same name.

Looks like I have some testing to do at home with virtual machines running FreeNAS 11.3 beta

Bummer the guide is not up yet, but verycool that there is a new chart for some NFS stats in the Legacy GUI.

Thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe, 4.9.4 will actually be in the next 11.2 release. The DC role is honestly pretty rough around the edges. I have plans to switch it to a plugin and expose a lot more of the capabilities (RODC, etc).

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi Anodos,

Is there a way I can use the next version of 11.2 beta? Is there a date schedule on the next release of 11.2? RODC's would rock!

Thanks,
Joe

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Hi Anodos,

The 11.2-u1 and 11.3 nightly fixed a NFS 4.x error I was having with ESXi 6.0/6.7 using NFS4 for data stores and FreeNAS! :)

Now time to test some session trunking to see if I can get that quad 1gig NIC to push 400MB/s!

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited: