FreeNAS 11.3 Config File Size

Fermat

Cadet
In saving my config file thru the WebGUI the size has been 24.1MB. In he past the .db files were much smaller.

When attempting to use these config files to upload config, the system says it is over 10MB and will not upload.

Does anyone know why this is occurring or how to make the config files smaller?

wolfpup

Cadet
I have a similar problem. I did a fresh install of freenas on USB (took me 5-6 years to figure out why my computer wouldn't boot from USB) and when I went to upload the config it said it was too big. Mine ended up being 15.3 MB, and I can't seem to make it smaller.

Fermat

Cadet
I continue to have the same issue and I am not tech savvy enough to fix it.

jmlopez

Cadet
I have the same problem when trying to upload the configuation file. Mine is 21,3MB and maxim file size to upload is 10MB. It doesn't seem to be so difficult to change the upload max file size in the web server to avoid the complete lost of the configuration. This made me to start the freenas configuration from scratch.
I think there is no point in making people think they can backup their configuration when it is not possible to restore from the backup file.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have the same problem when trying to upload the configuation file. Mine is 21,3MB and maxim file size to upload is 10MB. It doesn't seem to be so difficult to change the upload max file size in the web server to avoid the complete lost of the configuration. This made me to start the freenas configuration from scratch.
I think there is no point in making people think they can backup their configuration when it is not possible to restore from the backup file.
There was a bug in a prior release that caused some really large ssh-related alerts to get written to the db. You should be able to download the config, dump to new file, and re-upload.

jmlopez

Cadet
Dear anodos.
Thanks a lot for your reply. This explains the huge size of the db file. I would like to know how could I dump the config to new file as it is a binary file.
Another problem I have is that the flashdrive where the FreeNas was installed crashed and I had to reinstall it to a new flashdrive. Then I realized that the system did not allow to restore the system configuration from the saved config file as it is too big. For that reason I cannot download de configuration file again.
Is it possible to remove the rubbish from the old configuration db to reduce its size and upload to the fresh install?
Thanks in advance and best wishes.

de-selby

Cadet
There was a bug in a prior release that caused some really large ssh-related alerts to get written to the db. You should be able to download the config, dump to new file, and re-upload.

Hi anodos. Any idea which tables need deleting? I've managed to get the file open in a SQL db browser. I've had a look through the tables
system_alert, system_reporting and a few other places but can't see an overload of data to delete.

de-selby

Cadet
I eventually solved this by using SCP to transfer freenas-v1.db to /data/ and then rebooting.

n0by

Cadet
Hi, for those of you stumbling across this:
I also had a config with a size of roughly 15MB.

Downloaded a backup of the big config. Extracted the tar (tar xvf freenas-TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE-20201102.tar) and opened freenas-v1.db in DB Browser for SQLite

File->Export->Database to SQL file

(close DB Browser?)

then:
File->Import->Database from SQL file

and save before quit (notice the shrinked file size..)

retar (e.g. tar cvf freenas-TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE-20201102_repaired.tar pwenc_secret freenas-v1.db)

repaired config uploaded using the webui was working fine for me

T#!$t11235

Cadet
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to this forum and truenas. I recently moved from freenas to truenas and am having the same issues with uploading my saved plex config. file. I get, "Error: File is bigger than 10MiB", message when I try to upload from the truenas GUI. After reading n0by's post I installed SQlite on my computer and attempted to follow n0by's suggestion but have to admit I can't quite make it work. My saved plex config. file is about 95.0 MB so it's no where near 10MB. I am new at this and tearing out my hair trying to sort out how to upload the saved config. and would be most grateful for any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

Redcoat

MVP
How are you trying to upload your plex config file from the GUI?

danb35

Hall of Famer
saved plex config.
Unless you misspoke here, your question has nothing to do with this thread--this is about the FreeNAS/TrueNAS config.

T#!$t11235

Cadet
How are you trying to upload your plex config file from the GUI?
Redcoat, thank you for responding! Before I updated to truenas, I backed up the config file from my freenas build and my plex server to my laptop from the freenas GUI. After installing truenas I uploaded the saved config file from my laptop using the truenas GUI successfully but when I try to upload the config file for plex I get the message that the file is larger than 10MB. I have done this successfully in the past with freenas when my boot drive died. I really don't want to rebuild the plex server from the ground up. Thanks!

Redcoat

MVP
I'll ask the same question again - though to @danb35's point, it does seem that you are asking in the wrong place - should be in the Applications and Plugins sub-forum I suppose. But, how are you trying to upload your "plex config file" using the TrueNAS gui?

Should you not be copying the contents of your "old" /config/PlexMediaServer folder into the root/config folder of your new Plex jail directly - maybe with WinSCP, for example?

Last edited:

T#!$t11235

Cadet
Thank you for your patience! This is the way I have backed up a config and uploaded it in freenas/truenas GUI: system>general>scroll to bottom of page to: save/save config/upload config/reset. Save config to a file on my laptop to be used if needed. I would rather user powershell with ssh to do this but am still learning. The heads up on being in the wrong thread acknowledged . Your suggestion for copying contents of the old config into the root/config folder of the new jail is greatly appreciated. I am unfamiliar but can research this and sort it out with some work. Thanks!

Redcoat

MVP
The save config process you describe saves the system configuration, the upload config button will bring the system configuration back to the standard location. What's confusing (me anyway) is the mention of the "plex configuration file" and a file size of 95 MB. How did you generate that file?

The plex site has instructions for backup and restore of plex that will work to move from one FreeNAS install to another https://support.plex.tv/articles/201539237-backing-up-plex-media-server-data/

T#!$t11235

Cadet
Sorry for the confusion, the plex config file was saved as a tar file. when I checked the properties of the file is shows the file size as 92 MB. does that make any sense? Am I going assbackwards in regard to this?

Redcoat

MVP
By what process did you save your "plex config file"? How did you select what to save, how did you go about saving it?

T#!$t11235

Cadet
To tell the truth, I don't remember. Looking at the nas GUI, it doesn't look like anything but a nas OS config file can be backed up from the "save config" button in general settings. I do have the plex config file in my downloads folder, it is saved as a .tar file and that is right. I'm beginning to think my best option is to start from scratch. This started when my first boot drive failed, I installed 2 120GB ssd drives and mirrored them. I made the move to truenas and am trying to get it all up and running again. This has been a learning experience! I would like to do this right without PEBKAT issues this time.