SOLVED FreeNAS 11.3-BETA 1 - How to update jails from 11.2 to 11.3-RELEASE

fireheadman

Dabbler
Last edited:

Frederic996

Dabbler
Guys please give me a hand I'm going crazy !!! I updated my freenas to version 11.3-U1 then I also updated my nextcloud plugin, but now it starts but I can no longer access it, initially I was unable to connect to my jail (nextcloud) after changing the settings of my acl mode I see my jail up but I can no longer log in .. bloody updates !!!

fireheadman

Dabbler
If you took a snapshot of your iocage/jail, then roll it back... you will have nextcloud working again.
From there I would take a backup of nextcloud itself, then a new iocage/jail backup for safety and re-run the iocage/jail upgrade.

If you failed to take backups... then it is looking like some deep debugging and or rebuild of the jail from scratch.
You can still preserve your nextcloud data.

I use an external mountpoint in nextcloud to steer around issues like this. I have a volumes specifically for nextcloud data that mounts as /mnt/nextcloud to the nextcloud jail. They way the jail can blow up and I can rebuild then reattach/rescan my data and be back online quickly.
....and I also do not use the nextcloud provided plugin, I prefer a ground up build that I can choose where things go and tune as needed. (makes it easier for porting a nextcloud install from a non-freenas setup)

good luck!

ajschot

Patron
Can not upgrade my couchpotato plugin to 11.3Release all others worked but this one i can not get it to work...

Everytime i get

Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE couchpotato
Snapshotting couchpotato...
Snapshot already exists
Updating plugin INDEX...
Running upgrade...
etcupdate failed! Rolling back snapshot.
root@freenas:~ #

fireheadman

Dabbler
I've had some issues (like Plex) where I had to rename jails/plugins to an "expected" name for the upgrade to work.

An alternative would be deploy radarr and leave couchpotato in the dust.
I made the move a couple years and and haven't looked back..... IMHO, radarr is easier and quicker.

roose

Cadet
Upgraded from 11.3 -> TrueNAS 12.0-RC1 - no issues (yet)

JAILS Jenkins-LTS, Plex, Squeezebox server:
(iocage snapshot --name Pre12.1-RELEASE <Jail> not strictly unnecessary as TrueNAS creates them for you automatically)
iocage update <Jail> updates Jail to latest patch level
(iocage fetch 12.1-RELEASE one-off download)
iocage upgrade --release 12.1-RELEASE <Jail>
iocage list confirming each jail's release level
iocage console <Jail>
pkg update -y from within (each) Jail
pkg upgrade do not upgrade jenkins-lts or plexmediaserver at this time (or this way)
iocage restart <Jail>

ChiknNutz

Patron
That won't be possible since 12 uses a newer kernel than 11.3. 11.2 and 11.3 share the same kernel and that's why it's possible to run 11.3 jails on FreeNAS 11.2U-7.

That's a lot of unnecessary work. I just want to point that out for anyone who happens across this thread so they don't think that this is the way you have to do this. An in place upgrade of your jails from 11.2 to 11.3 is simple and works fine.
Can the move from a 11.2 plugin to 11.3 plugin be performed in the same way?

indivision

Guru
Can not upgrade my couchpotato plugin to 11.3Release all others worked but this one i can not get it to work...

Everytime i get

Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE couchpotato
Snapshotting couchpotato...
Snapshot already exists
Updating plugin INDEX...
Running upgrade...
etcupdate failed! Rolling back snapshot.
root@freenas:~ #

I have this same issue. Anyone?

I can rebuild. But, would prefer not to due to complexity of settings...

Try updating that jail from the cli and see if it has any major dependency updates. etcupdate can call 3rd party apps to do its thing.

indivision

Guru
Try updating that jail from the cli and see if it has any major dependency updates. etcupdate can call 3rd party apps to do its thing.

Thank you.

I tried the upgrade from the CLI for the release version to get that error. Do you mean updating within the jail shell? I tried updating the files (ie with pkg). I'm not sure how to upgrade the release version from within there (if that is what you mean?).

Another note that might be helpful: I did run "etcupdate" within the jail also. The first time it returned an error about needing to manually set the timezone. So, I did that with iirc tzupdate. Then I ran etcupdate again and it completed some process without error. I returned back out to the shell for the server and tried the release upgrade again. But, no dice. It gave the same etcupdate error.

Yeah I meant with either ports or pkg. pkg upgrade from inside the jail cli just returns that everything is up to date?

indivision

Guru
Yeah I meant with either ports or pkg. pkg upgrade from inside the jail cli just returns that everything is up to date?

Yes. I think the first time I ran it it had a few updates. But, now says up to date (and I tried upgrading after that and same issue).