SOLVED FreeNAS 11.3-BETA 1 - How to update jails from 11.2 to 11.3-RELEASE

Oriann

Explorer
Guys, serious question here...

I got now up and running 11.3 beta 1 BUT how to update jails that are still 11.2-patchlevel whatever?
When using pkg update it shows me now kernel mismatch and ask me if I want to IGNORE_OSVVERSION=yes

Found command iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE jailname, made snapshot for sure and after jails migration to newer version I cannot do iocage console jail1 any more because no login is valid and therefore no password too. Does this command works or it is broken ? Or does somebody worked out this ? Only functional command to get into jail is jexec 9 tcsh but after entering iocage it show this:

unknown@jailname:/ #

And no command works as expected or with errors.
Here are the docs from where I have used info and code: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-use.html

Last edited:

Oriann

Explorer
SOLVED !
  1. Update jails you wanna upgrade to latest patchlevel - iocage update jailname
  2. Make sure you have a snapshot of currently functional jail - GUI > Storage > Pools > dataset > iocage> jails > click menu on your jail > Create snapshot
  3. SSH to you freenas box and call this command: iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE jailname
  4. Now spoiler part for every question

Here answer YES
Code:
The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
world/base world/doc world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/base-dbg world/lib32-dbg

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Here copy everything from /etc/freebsd-update.conf to vi editor and save/close
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/freebsd-update.conf
Press Enter to edit this file in /usr/bin/vi and resolve the conflicts
manually...

Same as above
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/group
manually...

Same as above
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/hosts
manually...

Same as above
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/master.passwd
manually...

Same as above
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/passwd
manually...

Same as above
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
manually...

Now 6th times answer YES when bsd asks if this does look reasonable it will confirm changes.

And finally iocage console jail1 and test pkg update && pkg upgrade

Voila....

Of course after every upgrade check if everything works for you, if not then roll back with snapshot we created earlier.

Last edited:

endcycle

Dabbler
So to upgrade... I have to go into the contents of each file, copy and paste from there into a vi window.... oy. Is this something that's going to get resolved eventually in a freenas patch?

Oriann

Explorer
So to upgrade... I have to go into the contents of each file, copy and paste from there into a vi window.... oy. Is this something that's going to get resolved eventually in a freenas patch?
Sadly this is only workaround I have found by myself, nobody responded with better solution so this is it for now.
I hope too that somebody will come with better idea how to upgrade, but as far as I know, once somebody from freenas group see this, they will say that best solution is to build up a new jail with new release :D

mow4cash

Contributor
Sadly this is only workaround I have found by myself, nobody responded with better solution so this is it for now.
I hope too that somebody will come with better idea how to upgrade, but as far as I know, once somebody from freenas group see this, they will say that best solution is to build up a new jail with new release :D
Does FreeNAS require you to make a new jail to upgrade or is this a bug not letting you upgrade?

Oriann

Explorer
Does FreeNAS require you to make a new jail to upgrade or is this a bug not letting you upgrade?
No FreeNAS does not want from me to build a new jail to upgrade, no this is not bug I suppose but a missing feature.
GUI jail update let you update just patchlevel so its possible to update oficially from 11.2-p5 to 11.2-p15 BUT its not possible to update from 11.2-p15 to 11.3-p3 for example.
Does it make sense ? :D

endcycle

Dabbler
Makes sense, it's just a huge pain in the neck for those of us who aren't versed in vi besides using :q! to quit and then apt install nano and never look at vi again. :)

for this, for example:
"Here copy everything from /etc/freebsd-update.conf to vi editor and save/close "

Well, let's see. I'll hop onto my linux laptop and ssh into the server, then use less to read the file and then highlight everything to copy everything out of that file in the old jail to clipboard and paste it into a text editor, then flip to the other terminal and figure out how to paste from the clipboard and.... well, vi is alien.

If there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears. Any advice? :)

Oriann

Explorer
Makes sense, it's just a huge pain in the neck for those of us who aren't versed in vi besides using :q! to quit and then apt install nano and never look at vi again. :)

for this, for example:
"Here copy everything from /etc/freebsd-update.conf to vi editor and save/close "

Well, let's see. I'll hop onto my linux laptop and ssh into the server, then use less to read the file and then highlight everything to copy everything out of that file in the old jail to clipboard and paste it into a text editor, then flip to the other terminal and figure out how to paste from the clipboard and.... well, vi is alien.

If there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears. Any advice? :)
I am using MobaXterm as SSH client and from SFTP panel I can just open the file, copy code and then click middle button in vi to paste.
OR there is one more help, install nano and before you start upgrading just call command setenv EDITOR nano, then the upgrade process should call nano editor rather than vi.
Try and report...

endcycle

Dabbler
I am using MobaXterm as SSH client and from SFTP panel I can just open the file, copy code and then click middle button in vi to paste.
OR there is one more help, install nano and before you start upgrading just call command setenv EDITOR nano, then the upgrade process should call nano editor rather than vi.
Try and report...

oh, that's a killer idea. didn't even think about setting the editor to nano. Will do in a bit!

endcycle

Dabbler
Update - yeah, that works. Thanks for the suggestion. Wound up just using vi anyway. Copy / paste in a standard terminal window with an ssh session worked a lot better than putty for the connection, too.

Mannekino

Patron
I'm still on FreeNAS 11.2-U7 but I've just tried to create a new jail on the 11.3 release and surprisingly it worked. I used the new jail to test with Transmission and it's running fine as far as I can tell. I thought it was not possible to do a 11.3 jail on a 11.2 FreeNAS system.

When I do an iocage fetch and select 11.3 I do get a error saying it cannot fetch because the host system is still on 11.2. But then I tried it via the FreeNAS webinteface and during the creation process I selected 11.3 to see if it would work and it did.

Any comments on this? See below for proof.

1575125385862.png

This is the content of my iocage/downloads folder

1575125569045.png

sretalla