FreeNAS 11.2-U6 issues updating Plex

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Ya that’s the latest version in ports
If you get an earlier version it’s because you have the pkg set to quarterly

Actually not! My package is set to "Latest" - Always change this when creating a jail
Also tries to do another update today and received the same warning about version that I answered No to and terminated - 1/2 hour later I tried again, then no warning - Still not the latest version and another pkg install terminates with "same version installed" (or whatever the actual message

*please note that I didnt run pgk update (old screen shot) - but same warning came up when running pkg install plexmediaserver
said"
freenas screwed up.jpg

Mark Levitt

Explorer
I gave up on running Plex in a jail for this reason. I ended up creating an Ubuntu Linux VM to run plex.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Ok, So I have now updated FreeNAS to 11.2-U7 and when I run pkg update I still receive this warning or OS missmatch
Suggestions made was to wait for 11.2-U7 to get this resolved but clearly not resolved!
Suggestions?

Still no luck getting plex up to date - stuck with "plexmediaserver-1.18.1.1973_1"

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
but same warning came up when running pkg install plexmediaserver
Why would you do this if plex is already installed? The correct command to update the packages in your jail is pkg upgrade

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Why would you do this if plex is already installed? The correct command to update the packages in your jail is pkg upgrade

1. I want my packages updated (when doing so the warning is issued)
2. Plex will not see the update until the packages is updated *still stuck on old version*

3. Not sure what the question was... I did and always done pkg upgrade *so comment seem redundant

4. If the question was about using ports and make, then ok, but doing so would give you a clean slate *but cant be done due to package mismatch

Point of update was to communicate the issues of packages no longer supported that was meant to work once you moved to 11.2-U7 *but clearly not so

danb35

Hall of Famer
Suggestions made was to wait for 11.2-U7 to get this resolved but clearly not resolved!
The suggestion that was made was that you would be able to create FreeBSD 11.3 jails under 11.2-U7--and if you can do that, you can presumably also upgrade 11.2 jails to 11.3. Once that's done, you shouldn't get the warnings with either the ports or the packages. Here's what I said:
...or 11.2-U7, which Kris has said will allow the installation of a 11.3 jail, which might fix this problem.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The suggestion that was made was that you would be able to create FreeBSD 11.3 jails under 11.2-U7--and if you can do that, you can presumably also upgrade 11.2 jails to 11.3.
I just updated to U7 and and was able to successfully upgrade one of my non critical jails to 11.3 release.
Code:
forumbackup1 successfully upgraded from 11.2-RELEASE-p8 to 11.3-RELEASE-p5!

I also created a new 11.3 jail from the GUI and it also worked so it is confirmed working under 11.2-U7.

ChrisChros

Patron
I just updated to U7 and and was able to successfully upgrade one of my non critical jails to 11.3 release.
How have you upgraded the Jail Release to 11.3?

ghostwolf59

Contributor
How have you upgraded the Jail Release to 11.3?
Login as root and do.... iocage upgrade examplejail -r 11.3-RELEASE

btw. I got caught up in the last phase where a statement suggesting a reboot and then do an update pointing to a tmp directory.
Prompt just seem to hang so I canceled the process, rebooted and tried what was stated, only to find that the path didnt exist.
Then made a second attempt doing a iocage upgrade on the jail in question and after a long time I were prompted to verify or delete a bunch of directories (canceled out again) Jail not fully upgraded but still use the 11.3-RELEASE so managed to upgrade plex.
Dashboard still show 11.2-RELEASE-p9 for the jail.
So give it time to complete - all other jail successfully migrated to 11.3 and also show up on the dashboard (Ignore the message of rebooting and applying the update, it will conclude giving it enough time

jailupdate.jpg

Last edited:

ghostwolf59

Contributor
As earlier described - I ended up terminating the update process after seeing this prompt just hanging with a message of re-booting the system and then apply the update....
I since discovered that this message is bollocks, where giving it enough time it will complete the process successfully.
BUT(!), now Im stuck with my plex jail stuck on the previous jail version and when I try to do the update again I received this message...
Answered 'n' to the first prompt and the update failed - now I cant start the jail again - When trying to start it the message spat back said "Its already running" - even though the console thinks its down with NO option to stop it.
plex jailupdate.jpg

plex jailupdate -1.jpg

Last edited:

ghostwolf59

Contributor
As earlier described - I ended up terminating the update process after seeing this prompt just hanging with a message of re-booting the system and then apply the update....
I since discovered that this message is bollocks, where giving it enough time it will complete the process successfully.
BUT(!), now Im stuck with my plex jail stuck on the previous jail version and when I try to do the update again I received this message...
Answered 'n' to the first prompt and the update failed - now I can't start the jail again - When trying to start it the message spat back said "Its already running" - even though the console thinks its down with NO option to stop it.
View attachment 34294
View attachment 34295

Ok, Third attempt worked out what it seems - but I had to enter Y on like a 100 files and libraries

The jail update process would gain by adding something showing its still processing stuff instead of suggesting a reboot and separate update once back - would have prevented me from thinking it stalled killing the process.
Guess this update process is a tweak process offered to Freenas and if so, would be easy to add something preventing what I just had to go through

All my jails runs now and they also show up correctly in the dash

ChrisChros

Patron
is it necessary to stop the jail or can it be done while it's running.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
is it necessary to stop the jail or can it be done while it's running.
According to doco you can apply the update with the jail running or shutdown - either way.
I decided to shut my jail down prior to each update and it worked out just fine (even though it took a looooong time to complete

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The jail update process would gain by adding something showing its still processing stuff instead of suggesting a reboot and separate update once back
You've got some other issue going on. I've upgraded all my jails that are currently running from older versions and I've never been prompted to reboot the jail or the server.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
You've got some other issue going on. I've upgraded all my jails that are currently running from older versions and I've never been prompted to reboot the jail or the server.

Even though it looks like a prompt - its not! Its a misleading message where the process still is chugging along *but since it takes a long time its easy to think the process stalled - I also noticed that the path is misleading - the actual path where the ".../tmpnnnnn ends up is within the var/temp directory *and its automatically removed by the process*

Don't think its any other issues than FreeNas U7 is reusing the iocage update *perhaps the process used is staged as per message, but FreeNAS added commands to existing making complete and simple