Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

FreeNAS 11.2-U5 media preparation woes....

Thanks
Hello everyone,

I have been trying for weeks now to prepare USB and CD-ROM installation media to install on my NAS system. Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't seem to recognize any of the installation media as a boot drive. I am currently trying to use an ASUS Mini PC as my server, with an 8 bay DAS attached for my storage drives. I know it isn't ideal, but it was what I had access to at this point. My primary concern is I cannot even seem to get FreeNAS loaded. Thoughts?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
USB boot media can sometimes be problematic on some hardware platforms and OS's, its certainly not an issue unique to freenas, but cd/dvd installs have never let me down for any installation. My first guess is a bios configuration thats causing you the challange. So lets start with the most basic question, does your system recognize other boot media? Say a win10 or ubuntu install on a USB or dvd? If those are not recognized then we know its an issue with bios and/or boot config if they work and its just the freenas media thats a problem we can start asking more specific questions around how your preparing the media.

Thanks
I had the same problems with FreeNAS 11.2-U5. I tried multiple USB sticks, several different imaging software and even tried to flash the USB stick from several computers. I had lost all my hope.. as a last resort, I tried to flash FreeNAS 11.1-U7, and IT WORKED! It had no problems booting the USB stick.

Maybe the FreeNAS 11.2-U5 version is somehow corrupt? Does anyone have success at booting the installation from this version?

Thanks
I was able to successfully install 11.2-u5 via both a usb and DVD as recently as last week. (granted I haven't solved the issues of doing it over ipmi-sol I talked about in my ticket from a few days ago, but that's a wholey different issue) but yes the boot media worked fine. I created the USB using Rufus.

Thanks
Some motherboards have issues booting FreeNAS from media that is configured for UEFI. I would try the following:

Configure the FreeNAS installer to create a UEFI boot image. Make certain your motherboard bios is configured for the proper boot device and give it a try. This ought to be OK for most modern systems. However, if it this does not work, then make a BIOS (or Legacy) boot image and give that a try. Again, make certain your motherboard bios is set for the proper boot device.

On the system in my signature, I was able to use UEFI boot from flash drives - but when I switched to booting from SSD, I had to use legacy BIOS boot. I don't know why, but I do know that some systems are sensitive to this problem.

Thanks
I had problems creating the bootable USB stick (before choosing UEFI of BIOS mode). Anyways, I finally was able to create a bootable USB installer stick of FreeNAS 11.2-U5 using the ImageUSB tool! Rufus, Balenca etc didn't work for me... don't know why.