soko

Dabbler
Current version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U5
(Build Date: Jun 24, 2019 18:41)

Two zpools:
Pool A = Encrypted SSD for running jails and VMs
Pool B = Encrypted ZFS RAIDZ2 as large storage

Almost daily my ISP seems to force a WAN IP readdress change, it is never the same each day, which directly impacts my Freenas server. I'm forced to go into Freenas to unlock the encrypted pools then allowing storage to be accessed, jails can start, VMs can start. Some jail and VMs do run over a policy routed VPNs, based on jail/VM source IP.

I'm not sure if this is by design? I only changed ISP broadband service last week and it has restarted 4 times. My previous ISP kept the same WAN IP, stayed mainly stagnant.

There's nothing in dmesg logs that shows a serious error, failure, kernel panic or other for last reboot.

Thoughts?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do you have your FreeNAS machine exposed directly to the internet? If so that's a really bad idea.

soko

Dabbler
Definitely not. Actually to add more context. I investigated further, it appears my router has been regularly rebooting on its own, I suspect since I started using vlan configuration, possible bug. But that's an unrelated issue.

The router reboots, FreeNAS server loses its network and as a result locks the encrypted storage, resulting in all jail's and VMs stopping.

So the question is, is the encrypted storage locking on network loss to FreeNAS expected behaviour?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you sure the server isn't rebooting, possibly due to a bug or misconfiguration?

soko

Dabbler
So both my router and freenas were rebooting, highly unusual! The Tomato router would reboot about 10 seconds (assuming NTP was working correctly for both devices) before freenas. Freenas logs didn't indicate any error, problem or otherwise in dmesg, messages file. The logs showed normal entries then the freenas restart entries. So in short, I rolled back the router to a version that another forum reported as stable, router has not rebooted in days. Many users were reporting reboots on the latest version. After rolling back, Freenas did not reboot, two days after no reboot I updated to Freenas 11.2-U6, appears stable so far...solved a much needed cloud sync issue for me. I will never be able to debug what the cause was, logs werent providing useful error or warning without extra debug running. I will keep watching over next few days. I'm not sure how a bad router firmware would cause a reboot, however freenas has never rebooted except on power outage (no UPS) until the router started playing up.

Last edited:
The Tomato router would reboot about 10 seconds (assuming NTP was working correctly for both devices) before freenas

I suffered from an endless reboot-cycle with my Tomato router configured with VLANs. It was a combination of VLANs + specific Tomato version that seems to trigger this bug. I stick with the -stable versions of Fresh Tomato now.