FreeNAS 11.2-Beta2 is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bgadd

We are pleased to announce the general availability of FreeNAS 11.2-BETA2. This second BETA of the 11.2 series is considered to be feature-complete and ready for testing. Users, especially those who use Plugins, Jails, or VMs, are encouraged to update to this release in order to take advantage of the many improvements and bug fixes to those subsystems.

To update to this release, select the 11.2-STABLE train in System → Update. Should you need to return to the 11.1 series after updating, reboot and select that boot environment from the boot menu.

Be sure to check the release notes for the change log and known issues. For additional information, you can always go to the iX library or make a post in the Forums.

Lastly, please report any bugs to into Redmine.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Update from B1 to B2 on HP Microserver N54L worked fine, again. Thanks guys.

ryanakata

Explorer
Worked great here. I see the networking issues on bridge members falling off is resolved. Great work.

KrisBee

Wizard
@Bgadd I'm sorry to say there are too many bugs in VM creation/use to recommend anyone updating to this second beta for anything other than testing. VM wizard is very buggy, and new memory checks are causing issues. Still can't install a plugin choosing a static IP. Some of these are among the current 142 bugs/issues now logged against 11.2-RC1

SavageAUS

Patron
@Bgadd I'm sorry to say there are too many bugs in VM creation/use to recommend anyone updating to this second beta for anything other than testing. VM wizard is very buggy, and new memory checks are causing issues. Still can't install a plugin choosing a static IP. Some of these are among the current 142 bugs/issues now logged against 11.2-RC1
Do we still need to use the tunables for iocage networking in beta 2?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

diskdiddler

Wizard

I have disabled my 2 manually entered tunable entries and I'm rebooting my server now. I'll see if there's any weirdness and report back (or even log a new, disappointed job!)
Hopefully, you'd think that would be finally fixed though.

diskdiddler

Wizard

Have you tried the Legacy UI for VMs in the meantime?
I just created one pretty easily for Ubuntu 18 on my very, very weak little NAS and it worked ok.

adrianwi

Guru
What happened to the jail migration tool? The release notes say:

Code:
  • The Plugins and Jails backend has switched from warden to iocage and warden will no longer receive bug fixes. The new UI will automatically use iocage to create and manage Plugins and Jails. Users are encouraged to recreate any existing Plugins and Jails using the new UI to ensure that they are running the latest supported application versions.

I've already gone through the pain of rebuilding all (but one of) my jails using iocage at 11.1, but I'm sure there are lots of people hoping there will be a way to migrate them to iocage.

KrisBee

Wizard
Have you tried the Legacy UI for VMs in the meantime?
I just created one pretty easily for Ubuntu 18 on my very, very weak little NAS and it worked ok.

The improvements and bug fixes are supposed to be in "New UI" in Beta2. But the new VM wizard & memory checks have introduced regressions. This is not a case of what can work but what blatantly doesn't and why encouraging people to upgrade is not something I would do at this stage. Do you really want to be using "New UI" in Beta2 when it can generate a duplicate VM like this?

vmtest1_7.jpeg

j0hnby

Explorer
AWESOME :) Massive set of changes and fixes in the new BETA. Thanks. Have logged a bug with the dash already where the network panel doesn't load and causes a traceback. https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/40448

SavageAUS

Patron
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but what do I input in the plex gui to find my media? I've mounted it on /media/shows but if I type that in on the gui it doesn't find anything.

Edit: solved. Had to add the
/mnt/JailsSSD/iocage/jails/plex/root/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

j0hnby

Explorer
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but what do I input in the plex gui to find my media? I've mounted it on /media/shows but if I type that in on the gui it doesn't find anything.
Off topic.....but anyway
Check inside the jail where you are mounted to see the path - use console.....not going to go into detail as it's covered pretty well on many other threads recently.

Upgrade was effortless. Nothing broke near as I can tell.

The new UI still sucks.

Wouldn't it be amazing if, when this message popped up, those pages you're referring to were hyperlinked?

'WARNING: New feature flags are available for volume test. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" subsection in the User Guide "Installing and Upgrading" chapter and "Upgrading" section for more instructions.'

To further illustrate why the new UI sucks, you can't select the text of that message for copy-n-paste to the Googles. Go ahead, try it. You can highlight the text but as soon as you release the mouse button, the alert moves and loses the selection. I've made my career by Googling stuff. When a UI prevents me from using the Googles, it is a failure. To get that selection of text, I had to log out of FreeNAS, fall back to the classic interface, log in then select, copy-n-paste. That's crazy. Does anyone there actually use the new interface?

I know I sound like a broken record with regards to the new UI. I know I sound like a old dude resistant to change. That's (mostly) not true. The reason I'm so harsh to the new UI is that it is a giant leap backwards in terms of usability and basic functionality.

Cheers,
Matt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Zwck

Patron

Nope

Also vm creation buttery smooth.

SavageAUS

Patron
Only issue ive come across so far is when installing a plugin and choosing the netmask the netmask gets added to the management ip address. Eg 10.0.0.10/24:32400/web

Status
Not open for further replies.