FreeNAS-11.1-U1 - VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srikanth K Kota

Dabbler
Hello helping hands,

I need some suggestions and support for my requirements. Let me put them down first.
  1. I want to sync Dropbox, OneDrive on my FreeNAS Box
  2. I have Apple TV, and I want to play movies, music and videos present in my FreeNAS without opening my Mac
  3. Syncing some crucial data between my FreeNAS and USB disc which is connected to my Router in a periodic manner (not decided yet whether it would be automatic or manual trigger)
To achieve this, I thought of creating a VM with Windows 10, then setup shares between FreeNAS and Windows 10.

Now I want to know is my approach correct or is there a better way to achieve this? If there is a better way, please help me how to accomplish this.

Run the clients on a computer and have them sync to a FreeNAS directory.

Plex

No clue since it will depend on your router but likely have do it manually or with a auto sync client on a local pc.

Running a windows 10 client just to sync some files is a huge waste of resources even if you use the minimum that windows 10 requires. A lite weight linux would be better than running windows by far since you must dedicate at least one core at least 1Ghz and 1GB of ram to it plus 16GB of storage compared to something like 128MB of ram a single core at least 500Mhz and 4GB of space. But if you have a desktop already running why not just do it that way.

Srikanth K Kota

Dabbler
Run the clients on a computer and have them sync to a FreeNAS directory.

Plex

No clue since it will depend on your router but likely have do it manually or with an auto sync client on a local pc.

Running a windows 10 client just to sync some files is a huge waste of resources even if you use the minimum that windows 10 requires. A lite weight linux would be better than running windows by far since you must dedicate at least one core at least 1Ghz and 1GB of ram to it plus 16GB of storage compared to something like 128MB of ram a single core at least 500Mhz and 4GB of space. But if you have a desktop already running why not just do it that way.

First of all thank you for your suggestions. You mentioned Plex, and I am already using it when I am watching from Laptop. But my requirement is to watch on Apple TV. Especially I have Apple TV 3.

Your point is well taken on setting up Linux box, but I don't have iTunes for Linux to play on Apple TV.

You mentioned about syncing the drives on a client and then sync on FreeNAS for Dropbox and one drive. The challenge is these drives have almost 2 TB of data, and none of my clients has this kind of discs attached to them.

Srikanth K Kota

Dabbler
Mount a FreeNAS share as a local drive for syncing. Problem solved if you sync directly to it.

https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/apple-tv/

Thanks, nightshade00013. The suggestion of mounting the drive is a fantastic idea. I will follow it.

As for the plex, you can use apple tv directly if it is 4th generation. But mine is 3rd generation. So no direct support. That is where I got stuck. Also, I am not very good at modifying and playing around. So I am looking for an alternate solution.

adrianwi

Guru
Check out Plex Connect for accessing Plex on your aTV3. I haven't used for some time, and it is a bit of a hack but I got it running in a Jail successfully before I upgraded to a aTV4.

Srikanth K Kota

Dabbler
Check out Plex Connect for accessing Plex on your aTV3. I haven't used for some time, and it is a bit of a hack but I got it running in a Jail successfully before I upgraded to a aTV4.

Thanks, Adrian! Like I mentioned earlier, I am scared of doing modifications when I am not very sure. In any case, could you please point me to a right blog so that I will give a try.

adrianwi

Guru

Srikanth K Kota

Dabbler
This is quite an old thread so not sure how well it might work, but it should have links to more info > https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-plexconnect-for-atv.18315/

Doing it inside a jail isn't going to cause problems elsewhere in the system and if it doesn't work you just delete the jail.
I followed the link posted by you and my jail is working fine as I haven't got any errors and status is also coming as running. In Apple TV3, I modified the DNS to jails DNS. After that, I get a message that "Trailers in unavailable. Try again later." Not sure what I am missing and messing. Need little help here.

Srikanth K Kota

Dabbler
I followed the link posted by you and my jail is working fine as I haven't got any errors and status is also coming as running. In Apple TV3, I modified the DNS to jails DNS. After that, I get a message that "Trailers in unavailable. Try again later." Not sure what I am missing and messing. Need little help here.
Yes! Thanks a lot for the support. I could able to see what I was missing and fixed it. Now it is working fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.