FreeNAS 10 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a questions,

I just read on the FreeNAS news page and I read FreeNAS will move possibly from FreeBSD to Debian. Someone know if FreeNAS will continue to be able to boot from a USB drive? And also if in the network interface tab, I will be still able to create alias for assigning multiples IPs to a single NIC? This thing is very important for me since I need to have two ISP router, one for my house occupant internet browsing and another for dedicated aces to my FreeNAS server from the outside of my network. So with this set-up, I need to be able to set two IP to a single NIC (my MB has only one NIC) for be able to aces my FreeNAS server from the LAN and the WAN (via a second ISP router).

Thanks,

Guillaume

zambanini

Patron
no, freenas will not move from bsd. where did you read that?

ixsystems, the company behind freenas has a bsd licence and is a long term contributor to the bsd eco system.

Hi,

My English are not perfect so I may badly interpreted the informations I have read.

Just for make sure, this is the link http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/ and I read that under the "The History (and Future) of FreeNAS & TrueNAS" post.

Also, did you know if in the future, with a new interface if I will be still able to create alias for NIC in the goal to set multiples IPs to a single NIC?

Thanks,

Guillaume

zambanini

Patron
why should ip aliasing be removed. sure i cannot talk for the freenas devolopers, but common sense does not give a reasson for this.

regarding the history of FN:
the "original" freenas project, now falls nas4free had some dissussion about a fork about a debian based system. but this has nothing todo with the ixsystem freenas today.

btw: if you really on soem special kind of features, the commercial part might be interesting for you (TRUEnas)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Debian thing was pre-FreeNAS 8.0 and never materialized. FreeNAS is going to be built on FreeBSD for the foreseeable future.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
^^^ that.

The devs are all FreeBSD weenies (many BSD users aren't fans of Linux either). So unless some company is going to buy out iXsystems, fire all the devs and hire a whole new team of Linux guys to migrate FreeNAS to Linux (or someone forks FreeNAS, lol) then there's no chance of FreeNAS moving to linux.

Several people have jumped in here and tried to start a fire by claiming "they're gonna port the FreeNAS code to Linux", but they die a quick death when they find out that it is non-trivial to port the FreeNAS code to Linux.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The Debian thing was pre-FreeNAS 8.0 and never materialized. FreeNAS is going to be built on FreeBSD for the foreseeable future.
And where do you think openmediavault came from?

That was the origin. A Debian based 'FreeNAS'

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And where do you think openmediavault came from?

That was the origin. A Debian based 'FreeNAS'
It doesn't really use anything from FreeNAS, though, other than inspiration.

Of course, the concept has quite a few implementations on several OSes.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It doesn't really use anything from FreeNAS, though, other than inspiration.

Of course, the concept has quite a few implementations on several OSes.
No, the developer of OMV (Volker Theile) was one of the lead developers on FreeNAS.

Development continued until 2009, when the project leader at the time, Volker Theile, announced he would no longer be able to continue on the project on FreeBSD. At this point, FreeNAS was relegated to maintenance-only mode and was slated to be ported over to Debian Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.