FreeBSD VM under 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchonig

Cadet
What's the easiest way to bring up a FreeBSD VM under 9.10 that I can use for hacking on FreeNAS 11. Can I make use of the pre-build raw FreeBSD images and save installation time? I'm comfortable using raw iohyve commands.

KrisBee

Wizard
Do you mean a FreeBSD image that is literally in raw format?

How about creating a VM with iohyve where the disk size is an exact match with your raw image and then dd the raw image to the zvol disk0 which iohyve created for your VM.

jchonig

Cadet
Do you mean a FreeBSD image that is literally in raw format?

Besides install ISOs, FreeBSD provides VM images, one of which is a raw image that's supposed to work with iohyve.

How about creating a VM with iohyve where the disk size is an exact match with your raw image and then dd the raw image to the zvol disk0 which iohyve created for your VM.

I got just about that far, but am not sure how to do the dd. I could see the disk0 show up in the GUI, but I could not figure out how to see it from the shell.

Also, can I make the disk image larger and expand later? I don't know how much free space the FreeBSD VM image allows for. My home dir and freenas-build dirs already live in ZFS.

Thanks.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.