FreeBSD moving to ZFS-on-Linux

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Docker does the management part very well. Iocage does a lot to improve jails in that regard. As nice as Docker on FreeBSD would be, I'm not sure if the confusion it would cause by having two incompatible sets of binaries would be tolerated. A SmartOS like fully-featured Linux emulation would also be a possibility.

@cobrakiller58 I would not run any beta or nightlies on production servers. Further, unless you need a new feature, don't enable them.
That is my policy now and don't plan on changing that any time soon, have been using Hyper-V to feel out nightlies and stables.

"what distro?"
Slackware of course lol

Generally I feel pretty positive that this will turn out to be a good thing but from the reading I've done so far it looks like a lot of work and will require a boat load of testing before it can be declared safe. That is the only this that currently worries me and makes me want to learn more.......

sunshine931

Explorer
ZFS brought me to FreeBSD on a daily basis. I've since come to really like it, much more than my RHEL, Arch, or Debian based systems. It's been very robust, the documentation is very good, the package management is familiar and intuitive, and generally speaking tasks are performed using commands that are implemented relatively consistently, which has helped build my confidence and proficiency with the OS. The lack of systemd is among the best parts.

FreeBSD has won me over. I won't be going back to Linux any time soon.