FreeNAS with Raspberry Pi. Is It Possible?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Platform-hopping is not that unusual in the consumer space. Apples APs went through all sorts of platforms starting with the CISC 486 in the design they licensed form Avago to various flavors of RISC. I have no doubt that cost, heat, and performance were drivers in all this. Ditto re: switching from 680xx to PowerPC to Intel to Axx on the desktop side. High-volume OEMs can afford to change their minds re: processors / architectures.

I doubt this is the case with iXSystems. They don’t have the scale to justify significant processor departures, even if good compilers take care of the bulk of the work. There are so many dependencies to track down and adjust, it’s not just a brain transplant. Given Intel and AMDs adequate CPU and I/O performance, I’d suggest focusing the resources at iXSystems on fixing extant bugs and adding new features, not adding new platforms unless a really compelling reason presents itself.

I don't think it is likely that they're going to be releasing a general purpose ARM release or anything like that, but there are opportunities for licensing the core technology, or maybe something exciting like a FreeNAS Mini based on a much more compact ARM form factor.

A few people in the know around here are probably aware that I maintain a highly customized appliance version of FreeBSD that is designed for Internet service applications. I support both i386 and amd64, because the disk and memory footprints of i386 are substantially smaller than amd64 (by maybe a quarter to a third, generally speaking), and you usually don't want or need your DHCP server VM to be an amd64 based host.

I had attempted a few times to do an ARM build, but due to the special magic hacking most of the ARM platforms need to get a toehold, I didn't have that much success. Until VMware released its ESXi-on-ARM fling, that is. Then, it turned out to be about a morning's hacking plus a few tweaks over the next several days to make it usable and stable, because VMware worked correctly with straightforward EFI boot.

So my point is, that most of the stuff running ON a FreeBSD system is (or can be made to be) platform-agnostic, but the actual details of getting the bootloader/partitioning/etc set up, and other hardware specific details tend to be the vast majority of the work with these sorts of brain transplants.

darkmode

Dabbler
I was referring to the Pi having ECC or not, not the need for it to do ZFS right. (of course ECC should be used).

It's not a question of if the Pi (actually the CM4 that I cited) has ECC or not. The specifications state that it has ECC Ram.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not a question of if the Pi (actually the CM4 that I cited) has ECC or not. The specifications state that it has ECC Ram.
That statement was so crazy that I went looking, fully expecting to refute it with the datasheet. And yet, the datasheet agrees with you!

Now, because crazy statements need more than just a single line in a datasheet to support them, I did some digging. No other documents seem to support the claim. So I went looking for one of the DRAM part numbers: Samsung K4F8E304HB-MGCJ, an 8 Gbit LPDDR4 IC. Samsung doesn't make it clear, but I think it's a 32-wide part, which makes sense for a typical embedded memory controller.
That means that the datasheet is most likely full of crap for three reasons:
  • It's hard to imagine a heavily cost-constrained part like the BCM2711 employing ECC and then not advertising it widely
  • 8 Gbit is 1 Gbyte, the absolute minimum configuration for the CM4. ECC is always going to require additional space - you might cheat to some extent with compression, but sooner or later incompressible data will bite you in the ass. So, you'd end up with less RAM than advertised. See the next point for just how much overhead that is (spoiler: 6.5 Gbit).
  • With a width of 32 bits, to get traditional ECC behavior (correct single-bit errors, detect two-bit errors), you'd have 26 data bits and 6 parity bits, which would destroy performance of any memory-bound workloads (This thing is running four ARM cores and a GPU... Memory bandwidth is always in short supply.).
So yeah, I'm not believing that without some really solid evidence. Which is unfortunate, because this would be so cool.

darkmode

Dabbler
That statement was so crazy that I went looking, fully expecting to refute it with the datasheet. And yet, the datasheet agrees with you!

Now, because crazy statements need more than just a single line in a datasheet to support them, I did some digging. No other documents seem to support the claim. So I went looking for one of the DRAM part numbers: Samsung K4F8E304HB-MGCJ, an 8 Gbit LPDDR4 IC. Samsung doesn't make it clear, but I think it's a 32-wide part, which makes sense for a typical embedded memory controller.
That means that the datasheet is most likely full of crap for three reasons:
  • It's hard to imagine a heavily cost-constrained part like the BCM2711 employing ECC and then not advertising it widely
  • 8 Gbit is 1 Gbyte, the absolute minimum configuration for the CM4. ECC is always going to require additional space - you might cheat to some extent with compression, but sooner or later incompressible data will bite you in the ass. So, you'd end up with less RAM than advertised. See the next point for just how much overhead that is (spoiler: 6.5 Gbit).
  • With a width of 32 bits, to get traditional ECC behavior (correct single-bit errors, detect two-bit errors), you'd have 26 data bits and 6 parity bits, which would destroy performance of any memory-bound workloads (This thing is running four ARM cores and a GPU... Memory bandwidth is always in short supply.).
So yeah, I'm not believing that without some really solid evidence. Which is unfortunate, because this would be so cool.

Perhaps it's one of those in-chip ECC types (like DDR5 memory). But what do I know. I take this stuff at the value it's printed. I would think it's kind of hard to accidentally type, "LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM with ECC" in official documentation. :wink:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Perhaps it's one of those in-chip ECC types (like DDR5 memory)
Not inconceivable, but that's fairly expensive stuff for a jelly bean part.

I would think it's kind of hard to accidentally type, "LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM with ECC" in official documentation.
It's weird as hell, and I suspect there's an interesting story behind that...

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I too found the Product Selection Guide to be less than helpful. they label memory modules with ECC or parity memory but the memory component mentioned above features neither designation.

The SKU decoder in that selection guide doesn’t even contemplate DDR4 memory. So I wonder if there is a better data sheet to take a look at.

However, I doubt it’s a ECC component because samsung would presumably mention ECC prominently in the guide for that memory module section just like they did elsewhere.

sretalla