Forum code tag question

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just wondering if this issue is something that can be controlled by a moderator or forum administrator.

When using code tags why is the code box so large? You get a large code box whether there is a single short line of text or a wall of it. Is there any way to make it scale with the text posted up to a certain point? I can see limiting the size for a large output, that makes sense, but a code box fixed 10 to 15 lines in length seems a bit excessive.

@JoshDW19 or others have any input on this?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There is a new tag called ICODE for inline code. It makes the code look like this.
You can uee that when you are posting something short

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There is also the QUOTE tag:
It might sometimes work to use a quote like this depending on what you are posting.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Code:
Single line of text in CODE tags

CMD tags
And this is ICODE. I didn't know about it.
And file tags

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, that's completely ridiculous:
1546280017821.png

I hadn't noticed it yet, curiously...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yeah the icode is new to me too. Thanks for the move too, I missed the forum suggestions when looking where to post.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Any function of the forums relating to the appearance, size, spacing, orientation, or position, can be controlled by CSS.

The usual way to control word-wrap and container size with relation to the content is somewhat hit or miss and takes a lot of finesse to make it reasonable in most situations. There is newer CSS styling that much better handles the change of browser size which may or may not be due to the device used. This newer method is 'flex' or 'flexible' related characteristic and I am only barely familiar with it, have done *some* adjustments using it, but am far from expert.

I understand that there is some concern, dislike, for some sizing, particularly container:content ratio. If this might be illustrated in both disagreeable and preferred examples (in static form, ie screenshot/image) then it would be easier to replicate. The same for any/all other cosmetic changes (anything covered by CSS) via themes. I can make adjustments to the themes I develop (Ganz großes Kino, etc) but usually avoid making changes to any other themes.

BTW, I see another patch of blue that I need to evict from the ICODE tag appearance. Fixed

Okee, below is how my dark theme displayed it. Not sure why there is such a difference as I do not recall adjusting anything related to the height, but maybe I did *shrugs* I tend to use a wide browser window and adjusted the theme to use a bit more of the available space.

Screenshot_2019-01-01 Forum code tag question.png

Last edited: