Forum bug? - watch / un-watch thread

Arwen

MVP
I replied to a post, and when it was submitted, the box at the top of the thread said "Watch" not "Unwatch". (My preferences default to watching threads that I post or reply to.)
If I tried to "Watch", it said would you like to "Unwatch". So it recorded the status correctly, just did not display the correct thing.

A re-fresh of the posting's web page did change the "Watch" to "Unwatch".

So I think this is a bug.

Anyone else see this behaviour?

garm

Wizard
Are you sure there is no lingering cached content? We see this stuff all the time with our web service, a patch will look weird until users force their browsers to update without the cache (shift+ F5 in Chrome)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this what you mean:
  1. Choose a not-watched thread
  2. Reply to the thread. Your settings mean that you are now watching it.
  3. Watch button still says watch, until you refresh the page
If so, that's probably something that would have to be raised with the XenForo devs.

Arwen

MVP
Are you sure there is no lingering cached content? We see this stuff all the time with our web service, a patch will look weird until users force their browsers to update without the cache (shift+ F5 in Chrome)
I should not have to clear cache or refresh a page that did not exist before my reply post. Meaning the new page with my published post could not have existing until after I made the post.
Is this what you mean:
  1. Choose a not-watched thread
  2. Reply to the thread. Your settings mean that you are now watching it.
  3. Watch button still says watch, until you refresh the page
If so, that's probably something that would have to be raised with the XenForo devs.
Yep. That's exactly it.
I'll see about raising a bug.

Edit: Redmine bug;
Redmine bug #62799 - Forum watch display error

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@JoshDW19, can you ask around in the XenForo Forums if there's a fix for this?

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey all. I looked into this issue and the forums are behaving as designed. Apparently, responding to the thread uses an AJAX call so that the page doesn't have to be refreshed. Unfortunately, the subscribe / follow status of a thread isn't shown unless the page is refreshed. Although this is not the best design, the Xenforo devs have been aware of the issue since 2010 and are not interested in providing a fix. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! You can read more about the issue here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/watch-thread.2571/ .

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
As a footnote, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a plugin that might help solve the issue but so far I've not found anything.

Arwen

MVP
@JoshDW19, thank you for looking at the issue.

I've not noticed it since, but then again, I've gotten used to the new GUI. Including the instant post feature.