Fool-proof RAID setup for natural disaster

borisko

Cadet
Hi everyone, pardon my questions if they're basic but despite my extensive searches I'm still new to Freenas and raid formats.

I am trying to achieve the perfect balance of redundancy, performance and safety in a home-enterprise environment.

My issue: the place I live in (Philippines) has risks of earthquake and other natural disasters, thus would need something I can grab and take "on the go" in case something goes wrong.

I have a 4TB Seagate backup plus external hard drive that I was thinking will be used for just that.

Here was my initial thought:

Get 2x4TB hdds (probably some WD red) set as mirrored/raid1 (for complete redundancy) and my external hdd as the 3rd mirror of those two.

I know it sounds overkill and a big loss of storage space, but I value safety over all as this will hold my daily data as well as some backups (will set up a 3rd back up off-site system along the way later).

Is it the best solution or the right raid setup though? Or at least is it possible to have 2 mirrors of a single drive under raid1 (and does it very badly affect performance)

Lastly, In case of natural disaster, can I just grab the external HDD and expect it to mount as a regular drive on another computer (which is the actual purpose of this setup).

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

NASbox

Guru
How are you creating the backup on the external HD? If you are using your PC to do it, than that should be fine, otherwise I would not recommend using a USB drive directly on FreeNAS. ZFS over USB is a disaster waiting to happen. You are also not going to be able to mount ZFS on Windows or MAC AFAIK-there may be a program to do it, but maybe someone else can tell you. Otherwise Linux can mount ZFS if you install ZFS support.

I would recommend that get removable drive mounts so that in the event of a natural disaster you can just power off the server and take the drives with you. You could also copy everything to the external drive with your Mac/Windows PC, and you should be able to access those files from common PCs/Laptops. Just bear in mind that a USB drive can suffer from reliability issues, so it would be Ideal to be able to take the server drives. Keep a copy of your FreeNAS configuration on a separate USB and with the original drives you can easily rebuild just by downloading a fresh copy of FreeNAS and reinstalling. Hope that helps.

borisko

Cadet
Thanks for your answer. Just a precision, I didn't mention raid z1 but raid1, in other words mirroring (1 4tb drive and 2 mirrors of that 4tb drive) so I don't know how this could cause a problem since they're just copies of the 1st one. Or is there? Sorry my knowledge is limited.
I could indeed make copies of the 2 mirrored drives on my external hdd, but ideally I'd like a solution thst does this automatically. Hence my initial thoughts of using mirrored drives. Is that too risky? Or is there a solution inside freenas that can run say a script to copy (daily at night for example) incrementally the changes to my external drive?

KevDog

Patron
If your area is prone to natural disasters, it seems a more foolproof backup method in my opinion would be some remote site -- cloud or other external data center -- where you could back up your data away from the earthquake areas. In terms of use of a RAID1 setup -- I'm not sure what this exactly has to do with FreeNas.

JaimieV

Guru
I second the suggestion of having offsite over-the-network backups - in a disaster event you don't want to be scrabbling around for USB drives, and you may not be home anyway. I don't know if there are any Philippine-based equivalents, but I've been using Backblaze for years for my offsites. Backblaze have a guide (although it's for the old UI).