Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

Max Bullis

Cadet
Nice writeup, it was EXACTLY what i needed, THANKS!
I also found that i somewhat knew what i was doing when typing by the end of it, and i'm not a linux guy in the slightest. I will save my general linux questions for my buddy, but in relation to this guide i had some discussion points from a n00bs perspective. All of this is coming from a Windows systems admin, so pardon the terminology confusions and whatnot.
I presented each jail with 2 storage mounts, /lair(/usr/lair) and /plextools(/usr/plextools). LAIR is the top level of my media/data disk. PLEXTOOLS is where i wanted to, and mostly did install the apps to. I used PLEXTOOLS/config for my config dir. Each app was in PLEXTOOLS: /usr/plextools/plexpy, /usr/plextools/Jackett etc.

FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201706200459
i7-6700 32GB 3NIC-LAG 40TB (4tb Sata)

1. I dont know what we were doing when we linked mono to the Radarr or Jackett directories, allowing them to be updated on their own? Arent all of these being setup in that way since we arent using the plugin version of the jail?

2. Other than dependencies, i would prefer to have the instalation directories in PLEXTOOLS. This seemed possible for all except transmission in this guide. I assume that i would just exclude it from the pkg install command, and then clone git it like in the other steps.

3. Transmission was the step that maybe could use a novpn section, or more details on the other setup required cause it made me go all bossy eyed.Tranmission started out not allowing me to login to Tranmission so perhaps a section on how and where to edit the security.json file or something?
When opening the page: 403: Forbidden-Unauthorized IP Address-Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.
You have to edit some file i had a real randy time locating and this may have been when i poured a tall scotch and closed the project up for the night.

On the whole i think it was an excellent guide! Obviously my points are more for freenas/linux novices so apologies if this stuff is basic. Also very much looking forward to plexrequests, as your step by steps really was excellent to follow. I will be trying some other media apps using your guide as a model to assist with the commonalities.
Thanks again!

Pentaflake

Explorer
1. I dont know what we were doing when we linked mono to the Radarr or Jackett directories, allowing them to be updated on their own? Arent all of these being setup in that way since we arent using the plugin version of the jail?

2. Other than dependencies, i would prefer to have the instalation directories in PLEXTOOLS. This seemed possible for all except transmission in this guide. I assume that i would just exclude it from the pkg install command, and then clone git it like in the other steps.

3. Transmission was the step that maybe could use a novpn section, or more details on the other setup required cause it made me go all bossy eyed.Tranmission started out not allowing me to login to Tranmission so perhaps a section on how and where to edit the security.json file or something?
When opening the page: 403: Forbidden-Unauthorized IP Address-Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.
You have to edit some file i had a real randy time locating and this may have been when i poured a tall scotch and closed the project up for the night.

1- Radarr and Sonarr's internal updater had issues if that link was not setup and would just fail to run. It was on my notes from my original jails troubleshooting with those 2 so I included as a better safe than sorry when I setup them up again, and there is no harm in having it.

2- Thats really personal preference I guess where you install things. I try to make these as simple as I can so I have less to do anytime they need to be created. One of my next projects is eventully to make these as ansible scripts but I'm far too busy.

3- If you don't want a VPN its just a matter of not installing openvpn or enabling IPFW. as for the 403 I forgot that the default setting for the whitelist was only localhost as I have that already altered to my needs. Those are easy fixes and I'll get included.

Last edited:

bigzaj

Explorer
Does this:

"This setup assumes you have a video dataset owned by root:video (gid 1002) group, a torrent dataset owned transmission (uid 921):torrents (gid 1003) and apps dataset that has a dataset under it for each application's configuration files owned by the user that it will run as. "

Mean that there apps dataset for the config files (separate from Jail) should be owned by the app uid/gid? So for Plex folder owned by Plex: plex or 972:972?

bigzaj

Explorer
I was able to get Plex up and running no problem, but with Radarr I get the following:

root@radarr:~ # service radarr start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: ./etc/rc.subr: Permission denied
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: load_rc_config: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :NO: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :radarr: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :radarr: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: :/config: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: run_rc_command: not found
root@radarr:~ #

Pentaflake

Explorer
Does this:

"This setup assumes you have a video dataset owned by root:video (gid 1002) group, a torrent dataset owned transmission (uid 921):torrents (gid 1003) and apps dataset that has a dataset under it for each application's configuration files owned by the user that it will run as. "

Mean that there apps dataset for the config files (separate from Jail) should be owned by the app uid/gid? So for Plex folder owned by Plex: plex or 972:972?

Yes, ideally if you created each of the datasets before any installation in the jail and had them mounted they would end up with the correct permissions following the guide.

I was able to get Plex up and running no problem, but with Radarr I get the following:

Not sure on this one I just did a direct copy n paste of the text here to make sure the forums didn't butcher the formatting and it started again correctly. What editor did you create the file with?

jFlatz

Dabbler
I have attempted your Plex(PlexPass) portion of your tutorial, I have a Plex Pass Subscription, and I am dumbfounded of why its not working for me. When I get to going to my http://<JailIP>:32400 I get prompted to login. I do and the only servers that are available are my SeedBox and Plex Cloud. No where to be found is the jail that I just installed, the same one that is hosting http://<JailIP>:32400. I am so confused

Edit: Issue resolved. It turned out my problem was I was accessing my PMS from within another network within my house. After connecting to PMS from another computer in it's network I was able to complete the setup.

Last edited:

Hazimil

Contributor
FreeNAS v11.0-U2
Plex (with Plex Pass) v1.7.5.4035

Hi, I'm attempting to install PlexPy as per the instructions listed, and have a problem with the mounts:

Code:
/mnt/tank1/apps/plex/Plex Media Server/logs  --->  /plexlogs  (Readonly)
/mnt/tank1/apps/plexpy  --->  /config

My Plex install which is in /mnt/tank/Jails/PlexMediaServer doesn't have a /logs directory, so am unable to mount it.

For the second mount, aren't I putting in a circular reference here, by mounting my PlexPy jail on itself? PlexPy is to be installed in /mnt/tank/Jails/PlexPy.

Am I just misunderstanding something?

Yours
Jonathan

Pentaflake

Explorer
The logs directory may be in a different folder depending on how you completed the install of plex. The default location would be /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs/ if you installed from pkgng. You may need to adjust the path as the guide is written if you installed it as noted in the resource.

As for the second mount if you read the first part of the post, I have separate mounts in each jail that just include the config files for each application that are in a dataset under my apps dataset so I can easily snapshot just the config data. If you are not planning to setup it like that you can just not mount that one.

It wouldn't be circular as the jail would be mounted at /mnt/tank1/jails/plexpy and the config would be mounted from /mnt/tank1/apps/plexpy.

Prasanth

Contributor
Not sure on this one I just did a direct copy n paste of the text here to make sure the forums didn't butcher the formatting and it started again correctly. What editor did you create the file with?

First thank you for the great write up!

I got a similar issue when trying to start radarr and I used nano to copy and paste the code from your resource,
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: an: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: group: not found
Starting radarr.
Unmatched ".
Unmatched ".
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: WARNING: failed to start radarr

Prasanth

Contributor
First thank you for the great write up!

I got a similar issue when trying to start radarr and I used nano to copy and paste the code from your resource,
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: group: not found
Starting radarr.
Unmatched ".
Unmatched ".
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/radarr: WARNING: failed to start radarr

OK now when i used ee to paste into the file worked.

Prasanth

Contributor
So things seem to be working in terms of seeing the web gui and all. With plex two issues; when I tried to use the /mnt/videos directory I am not able to see it within plex..in fact it won't even let me see the mnt directory. I can only see the /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server directory. I mounted all my media within the media subdirectory (/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/media) and it seems to work but don't understand why this is happening
Plex.png

In plex itself I am trying to play video files but the transcoder keeps stopping around 5-10% and I'm not sure if its a plex issue(edit: Actually I used safari as well as the mac plex desktop app and they seem to work fine...only chrome chokes).

Also wanted to run sabnzbd similar to the other apps above. Anyone have a guide for that.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
When using Plex's browse function to add media folders, Plex assumes a particular top level directory within the jail and browses from there. If your folders are mounted somewhere else, then just enter the path to the mounts by typing it in. Remember that path names are case sensitive.

Prasanth

Contributor
When using Plex's browse function to add media folders, Plex assumes a particular top level directory within the jail and browses from there. If your folders are mounted somewhere else, then just enter the path to the mounts by typing it in. Remember that path names are case sensitive.
thank you...thought i tried to manually enter the directory already but I'll try it again

Prasanth

Contributor

Prasanth

Contributor
any reason I would get
Code:
root@ombi:/ # chown -R ombi:ombi /usr/local/bin/ombi

chown: ombi: illegal group name
My own fault..forgot to add user for ombi within the jail

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Curious @Pentaflake why you install Plex then lock the package and use the pmsupdater script. Why not install the plexpass version via pkg pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass and keep it up to date with pkg?

Prasanth

Contributor
ok not sure what I'm doing wrong with ombi - says the service is starting but then when I check status it shows not running
started from scratch from a new jail. followed all the steps again
Code:
root@ombi:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service -v ombi start
ombi is located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Starting ombi.
root@ombi:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service ombi status
ombi is not running.

lordofchance

Cadet
ok not sure what I'm doing wrong with ombi - says the service is starting but then when I check status it shows not running
started from scratch from a new jail. followed all the steps again
Code:
root@ombi:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service -v ombi start
ombi is located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Starting ombi.
root@ombi:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service ombi status
ombi is not running.

Prasanth have you had any luck with getting the service to start? I am encountering the same problem on my end as well.