Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

bowenac

Cadet
Still couldn't get it to work... followed a youtube guide and now it's working fine.

bowenac

Cadet
Sorry for all the replies, doesn't appear to be a way to edit previous replies strange in 2019. However I wanted to provide some details on the steps I did to perform the commands for the Plex install using this guide. I think this guide has a few assumptions, or is outdated for plex.

Anyway this is what I did, just to be able to perform the steps to install plex for this guide. I made notes of all the steps along the way, and ended up having to wipe the jail like 5-6 times and start over.

I have two pools Backups and Media. In my case Backups was the default pool for jails, so this plex jail will be using that pool/datasets for the config, but I wanted my media to use my Media pool.
  • Go to jails and check what the default pool is, in my case it was Backups
  • Create a pool if doesn't already exist, I'm assuming most people will already have a pool created by the time they are wanting to install a jail.
  • Create a few datasets in the pool that jails is set to use, in my case it was Backups
    • apps
    • apps/plex
    • video
Run the following commands
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["plexmediaserver","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
sudo iocage create -n "plex" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.2-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.1.100/24" defaultrouter="192.168.1.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
rm /tmp/pkg.json

Now with the jail added, go back to pools and find iocage this will be under your default pool, or whatever pool is configured for your jails, you need to add the following datasets to perform the next ssh commands otherwise they will fail as the directories do not exist yet.
  • Create a dataset under iocage/jails/plex/root
    • config
    • mnt
  • Create a dataset under iocage/jails/plex/root/mnt
    • video
Now I was able to run the following commands, before doing the above fstab would fail as the directory did not exist...
Code:
sudo iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Backups/apps/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0
sudo iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/Media/video /mnt/video nullfs ro 0 0
sudo iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config
sudo iocage exec plex sysrc "plexmediaserver_enable=YES"
sudo iocage exec plex sysrc plexmediaserver_support_path="/config"
sudo iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver start

After all of that... I was able to browse to plex media server, but had issues adding the media folder in plex gui, it was still unable to find my media... Honestly I think it was some kind of permissions or something else. I tried, honestly like 10 times probably and probably spent 4-5 hrs trying to get this to work.

I ended up using this guide on youtube which took like 10m... and it was simple, much quicker, and easier to understand, although I had to perform the commands using the jails shell, as a few commands would not work via ssh using putty. But other than that, it just worked and made sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76vJcR6EdvE

I like FreeNas so far honestly mostly just the UI I guess, but what a pain it is to install basic things... if this were windows it would have taken 10-30 seconds to install plex media server... and point it to a media drive.

Pentaflake

Explorer
Update coming later this week for 11.2-U7 updates for 11.3 jail templates after testing. Shouldn't required anything except updating the release during creation.

Reactions: ACS

Pentaflake

Explorer
Pentaflake updated FN11.2 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr with a new update entry:

Notes on 11.3-RELEASE template for 11.2-U7 FreeNAS users

All supported jails have been tested with the 11.3-RELEASE template. No changes are required other then changing that out in the initial create command. I will be updating the actual commands after the update has been out for a little bit longer.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Mannekino

Patron
Can confirm for Transmission, Radarr, Sonarr, Jackett and Tautulli. I'm in the process of moving my jails to 11.3-RELEASE by creating new jails and reinstalling the applications but reusing the old configuration directories to smooth the transition without losing any data/settings. I've migrated the aformentioned applications and everything is working fine. Been relying on this resources as a global guide for my setup with some minor changes of my own.

I still need to do Plex and SABnzbd, after that I'm done.

oneness

Cadet
Just followed the guide for Radarr and it installs and works but i can't import my movies as I don't have permissions. I don't full understand it all but i had a working sonarr install using another guide where I used a different user ID thing, and media user instead of sonarr...

Code:
iocage exec sonarr "pw user add media -c media -u 8675309 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin"
iocage exec sonarr "pw groupadd -n media -g 8675309"
iocage exec sonarr "pw groupmod media -m sonarr"
iocage exec sonarr chown -R media:media /usr/local/share/Sonarr /config
iocage exec sonarr  sysrc 'sonarr_user=media'

and it works fine.
I'm wondering why the different approach. and can someone test this to see if this current guide for radarr/lidarr etc give write permisisons? All my media sources are media:media.

mojario

Cadet
Is anyone able to assist with Oranizr please?
Whenever I navigate to 'jailip' I get the 'Welcome to nginx!' message, everything works when pasting the code in.

Code:
Welcome to nginx!
If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required.

For online documentation and support please refer to nginx.org.
Commercial support is available at nginx.com.

Thank you for using nginx.

Prasanth

Contributor
Heres an update script I have run each morning...seems to work well most times to keep each of the media jails updated. I get a nice email in the morning to see what's been updated and if any errors

Code:
#!/bin/bash

UPGRADECMD="pkg update && pkg upgrade -y"
declare -a INSTALLEDAPPS=("plex" "tautulli" "sabnzbd" "transmission" "jackett" "radarr" "sonarr" "unifi")

## now loop through the above array
for i in "${INSTALLEDAPPS[@]}"
do
        if iocage exec "$i"  "$UPGRADECMD" | grep -q 'Your packages are up to date.'
        then
                echo "$i" "is up to date!"
        elif iocage exec "$i"  "$UPGRADECMD" | grep -q 'failed'
        then
                echo "$i" "upgrade failed"
        else
                echo "$i was updated; will restart the jail"
                iocage restart "$i"
        fi
done

I'm not great with scripts so if there are improvements to be made please let me know.

1ccs-todd

Dabbler
Heres an update script I have run each morning...seems to work well most times to keep each of the media jails updated. I get a nice email in the morning to see what's been updated and if any errors

Code:
#!/bin/bash

UPGRADECMD="pkg update && pkg upgrade -y"
declare -a INSTALLEDAPPS=("plex" "tautulli" "sabnzbd" "transmission" "jackett" "radarr" "sonarr" "unifi")

## now loop through the above array
for i in "${INSTALLEDAPPS[@]}"
do
        if iocage exec "$i"  "$UPGRADECMD" | grep -q 'Your packages are up to date.'
        then
                echo "$i" "is up to date!"
        elif iocage exec "$i"  "$UPGRADECMD" | grep -q 'failed'
        then
                echo "$i" "upgrade failed"
        else
                echo "$i was updated; will restart the jail"
                iocage restart "$i"
        fi
done

I'm not great with scripts so if there are improvements to be made please let me know.
There is also the fnjailup script: HERE

1ccs-todd

Dabbler
Is anyone able to assist with Oranizr please?
Whenever I navigate to 'jailip' I get the 'Welcome to nginx!' message, everything works when pasting the code in.

Code:
Welcome to nginx!
If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required.

For online documentation and support please refer to nginx.org.
Commercial support is available at nginx.com.

Thank you for using nginx.
Sounds like you forgot to replace the nginx.conf file with the edited one for Organizr.(?)

Last edited:

1ccs-todd

Dabbler
I just completed building a customizable installation script.
Linked-HERE

I got tired of deciphering the changes from the guide(s) and how my FN is configured. This should make installation a breeze for anyone else also.
Simply follow the Readme to make the necessary variable changes to match your FN installation, then 'make' and execute the appropriate script for whichever jail you want added.

PM me here or via Github if there are any issues found or changes needed.

EDIT: 12/30/19 - ReTested and Retuned each script. Version 1.0 is now available.

Last edited:

mojario

Cadet
Sounds like you forgot to replace the nginx.conf file with the edited one for Organizr.(?)

So it turns out that I just wasn't patient enough? I tried some hours later after install and it was working.. thanks for your reply though

thepixelgeek

Patron
No luck using OP code for Sonarr.

I've created a sonarr Jail, data sets for apps>sonarr, and torrents.

I'm at root@sonarr: ~# by using iocage console sonarr

I'm getting "iocage command not found" when running
iocage create -n "sonarr" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.3-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|http://192.168.7.53/24" defaultrouter="192.168.4.1" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on" rm /tmp/pkg.json

Additionally, what's supposed to happen when running echo '{"pkgs":["mono","mediainfo","sqlite3","ca_root_nss","curl"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json? Nothing shows after running it.

Last edited:

thepixelgeek

Patron
Rookie move...was not in root@freenas

1ccs-todd

Dabbler
Additionally, what's supposed to happen when running echo '{"pkgs":["mono","mediainfo","sqlite3","ca_root_nss","curl"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json? Nothing shows after running it.
this creates a temporary file that "iocage create" then parses to automagically install pkgng and the listed packages during jail creation. the 'rm' command then destroys the temp file just after jail creation.

thepixelgeek

Patron
I'm about to delete the jail and start again. Running OS 11.2-U7 using 11.3-RELEASE for the jails.

Sonarr web GUI doesn't load, but I can ping the IP. Using Windows 10.

All directories were created. Jail is running. Sonarr service started. Completed all steps from the OP.

I created Rc.d/sonarr using ee. It's root-owned. I only edited the user group to media. I also ran chmod u+x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sonarr

I checked the /config directory but it's empty. Is that ok?

I created the jail in freenas gui since this iocage create -n "sonarr" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.3-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|http://192.168.7.53/23" defaultrouter="192.168.4.1" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on" rm /tmp/pkg.json didn't initially show up in the freenas web gui.

I had to create the sonarr user from within the freenas gui since iocage exec sonarr "pw user add sonarr -c sonarr -u 351 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin" didn't work at first. Well, it didn't show it in the freenas gui until I created it there.

Perhaps my issue is surrounding the user and permissions? Although I did run chown -R sonarr:sonarr /usr/local/share/NzbDrone chown -R sonarr:sonarr /config

l have datasets for:
Code:
Pool>Media (sonarr:media)

Pool>Apps>sonarr (sonarr:media)

Pool>Iocage>jails>sonarr>root

Pool>torrents (sonarr:media)

Mount points:
Code:
/mnt/SuperPool/apps/sonarr
/mnt/SuperPool/iocage/jails/sonarr/root/config

/mnt/SuperPool/torrents
/mnt/SuperPool/iocage/jails/sonarr/root/mnt/torrents

/mnt/SuperPool/SuperMedia
/mnt/SuperPool/iocage/jails/sonarr/root/mnt/video

Edited OP code that I've been using:
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["mono","mediainfo","sqlite3","ca_root_nss","curl"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "sonarr" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.3-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|http://192.168.7.53/23" defaultrouter="192.168.4.1" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on" rm /tmp/pkg.json
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /config
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /mnt/video
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /mnt/torrents
iocage fstab -a sonarr /mnt/SuperPool/apps/sonarr /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a sonarr /mnt/SuperPool/torrents /mnt/torrents nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a sonarr /mnt/SuperPool/SuperMedia /mnt/video nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec sonarr ln -s /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/bin/mono
iocage exec sonarr "fetch http://download.sonarr.tv/v2/master/mono/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz -o /usr/local/share"
iocage exec sonarr "tar -xzvf /usr/local/share/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz -C /usr/local/share"
iocage exec sonarr rm /usr/local/share/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz
iocage exec sonarr "pw user add sonarr -c sonarr -u 351 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin"
iocage exec sonarr chown -R sonarr:sonarr /usr/local/share/NzbDrone /config
iocage exec sonarr mkdir /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Last edited:

thepixelgeek

Patron
Starting over, and getting this "tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz'" when running freenas# iocage exec sonarr "tar -xzvf /usr/local/share/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz -C /usr/local/share"

Tried it in the jail:
Code:
root@sonarr:~ # tar -xzvf /usr/local/share/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz -C /usr/local/share
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz'

Last edited:
Has someone Ombi running ? i don't get the webpage or is there a updated howto for it its also a very old version

#Ombi #Thanks

1ccs-todd

Dabbler
@thepixelgeek Did your fetch command complete successfully? I just tested your fetch/tar commands and they complete correctly for me.

@DutchMaster88NL Ombi v2 is no longer being developed. The OP guide for Ombi is updated for the last Ombi V2 release. Did you get any errors when following the guide? ...
- actually there is an issue due to Ombi no longer developed. An included .dll with Ombi v2.2.1 is no longer compatible with Mono.
see here: https://github.com/tidusjar/Ombi/issues/2938
Easy to fix. copy NLog.dll from the application folder of one of your other mono 5.10 based jails (radarr) and place it in the ombi folder in your ombi jail. then restart the service/jail.

Last edited:

thepixelgeek

Patron
Did your fetch command complete successfully? I just tested your fetch/tar commands and they complete correctly for me
I never figured it that out. Deleted everything again. Moved on to creating separate jails for each app. So far going well. Now wondering if I’m going to have trouble with with those separate apps sharing/moving files appropriately. They all have same group with edit permissions. Haven’t tested yet.