Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

SeaFox

Explorer
Was setting up Jackett today and I came into a small issue. I was able to get things set up using the Guide but was told the version of Jackett was really old and I needed to update it -- but updating failed to work. Not sure if it's a Jackett issue or what but I do recommend updating the links in the guides to the current version of the software, so:
iocage exec jackett "fetch https://github.com/Jackett/Jackett/releases/download/v0.10.509/Jackett.Binaries.Mono.tar.gz -o /usr/local/share"

becomes:
iocage exec jackett "fetch https://github.com/Jackett/Jackett/releases/download/v0.11.379/Jackett.Binaries.Mono.tar.gz -o /usr/local/share"

falkon

Cadet
The last lines of code to link Organizr config.php is out of data.
Organizr v2 has moved the config.php location.
Should be:
Code:
iocage exec organizr cp -a /usr/local/www/Organizr/api/config/config.php /config/config.php
iocage exec organizr rm /usr/local/www/Organizr/api/config/config.php
iocage exec organizr ln -s /config/config.php /usr/local/www/Organizr/api/config/config.php

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
Anyone know is there a working 11.2-U4 compatible alternative to Ombi? I don't want to go through the hassle of figuring out how to setup a VM and all that just to run Ombi.

I've read through the entire thread. I've seen it asked half a dozen times but never answered. Could someone give a full explanation?

HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT TO PUT IN OUR IPFW_RULES FILE?

Here is the example, for reference:
Code:
# Allow internal traffic
add 03000 allow IP from 172.16.0.14/32 to 172.16.0.0/23 keep-state
add 03000 allow IP from 172.16.0.0/23 to 172.16.0.14/32 keep-state

# Allow access to Entrace IP for VPN
add 04000 allow IP from 172.16.0.14/32 to <IP of VPN Entrance Node> keep-state

# Allow any traffic over the VPN interface
add 05000 allow IP from any to any via tun*

# Deny any other traffic
add 65534 deny IP from any to any

There are a few questions that arise from this.
  1. The first two lines seem to allow traffic from this jail to the LAN and vice-versa. I'm kind-of guessing here, but it seems like the zeros are being treated as wildcards. Supposing that a person has a LAN configured as 192.168.1.X, and the jail is at 192.168.1.100 I believe those two lines should be as follows. (the /24 means your subnet is 255.255.255.0) Is this correct?
    1. add 03000 allow IP from 192.168.1.100/24 to 192.168.1.0/24 keep-state
    2. add 03000 allow IP from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.1.100/24 keep-state
  2. Entrance IP for VPN: I assume this is the IP address of my VPN provider? Is there some way to look up what goes here?
  3. We are allowing traffic from any to any via tun*. Was I supposed to configure or setup some network interface or connection to my VPN called tun*?

Any information gets thanked and is very appreciated. Regards,

SeaFox

Explorer
I've read through the entire thread. I've seen it asked half a dozen times but never answered. Could someone give a full explanation?

HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT TO PUT IN OUR IPFW_RULES FILE?
<snip>

I didn't use the firewall setup here because of the IP entry point part you mentioned. At the time I was setting up with P.I.A. and their service seemed to be more "you get a random WAN IP on the endpoint location of your choice". If I may make a suggestion, I used the firewall setup instructions here instead (see step 4 -- edit: I mean the second "step 4" e__e the one about configuring ipfw). The commenting makes it clear what the rules themselves are for, and you don't have to know what IP you'll be using, only the tunnel adapter that the VPN will be making.

I redid some of my setup today. Originally I set up everything in separate jails following this guide, but today I took my Transmission/VPN/ipfw jail and installed Sonarr/Radarr/ect into it as well, redoing my prefs there. Given sonarr et. all are sister projects, their software requirements are the same so it was not hard to adapt the instructions here to do it. I'm still keeping separate /config folders on the root level for the services, but the main reason I re-did things like this is so now all those services can also be shunted into the VPN by adding some more lines to the rules list, and it only counts as the one "device" against the concurrent connection limit.

Last edited:

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
So I had everything working beautifully, until my UPS decided to go haywire and my server was shut down. I restarted it and all of my jails failed to start upon reboot. I manually started Plex no issues, Sabnzbd also with no issues. Sonarr and Radarr, however, show the same error and refuse to start :(
I get a runtime error
jail: mount.fstab: /mnt/tank/media/downloads/tvshows : missing information
Despite following this guide rather explicitly my fstab somehow looks likes this

Code:
+=======+======================================================================================+
| 0     | /mnt/tank/apps/sonarr /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/sonarr/root/config nullfs rw 0 0        |
+-------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 1     | /mnt/tank/media/downloads/tvshows               |
+-------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 2     | /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/sonarr/root/mnt/downloads/tvshows nullfs               |
| 3     | rw 0 0               |
| 4     | /mnt/tank/media/tvshows /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/sonarr/root/mnt/tvshows nullfs rw 0 0 |

Obviously lines 1 2 and 3 should all be on one line, not 3 separate lines, which I imagine is the issue. The problem for me is I can't seem to fix this. I tried iocage fstab -r 1 (and 2 and 3) and I get an error saying something about malformed fstab and it doesn't remove anything. Tried through the GUI and same error.

UPDATE:

found a simple solution. removed the lines in question via iocage fstab -e sonarr this opened in vim and was able to remove then add back the line using GUI

Last edited:

donsev

Explorer
The Organizr instruction is missing a dependency from the very first line: "php72-filter".

Recommend pasting this line instead:

Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["nginx","php72","php72-filter","php72-curl","php72-hash","php72-json","php72-openssl","php72-pdo","php72-pdo_sqlite","php72-session","php72-simplexml","php72-sqlite3","php72-zip","git","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
The Organizr instruction is missing a dependency from the very first line: "php72-filter".

Recommend pasting this line instead:

Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["nginx","php72","php72-filter","php72-curl","php72-hash","php72-json","php72-openssl","php72-pdo","php72-pdo_sqlite","php72-session","php72-simplexml","php72-sqlite3","php72-zip","git","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json

Please update the guide with this. Luckily the Organizr discord helped me with this over the weekend when I updated

Does anyone else get the following error in sonarr when linking it to transmission?

Unable to communicate with Transmission. Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream'.

Savell Martin

Contributor
There are a few issues when I tried this last night, for instance Radarr (not tried sonarr) has a fetch issue pulling the ssl certs:
iocage exec radarr "fetch https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/releases/download/v0.2.0.995/Radarr.develop.0.2.0.995.linux.tar.gz -o /usr/local/share"
Returns: Certificate verification failed

I got around this by adding: fetch --no-verify-peer

Lastly, can we use media:media credentials on all iocages so they all match and all have the same permissions to write/read to the same folders?
If so would I just have to change:
iocage exec radarr chown -R media:media /usr/local/share/Radarr /config
Because I tried this and just got an error :(

Lastly iocage exec radarr rm /usr/local/share/Radarr.*.linux.tar.gz
Didnt work, I had to go into the jail and do it manually, no biggie just thought I'd mention it.

Quicksilv3r

Dabbler
I'm ready to burst into tears. I think i've made such a mess of my install of SABnzb, I don't understand anything about command line anymore (been 20 or so years since I was really into it and it's not coming back to me) and now, I've deleted my SABnzb jail because I couldn't get it to work, now when I try to install it, I keep getting a Vnet failure. If I could, I would nuke my entire Freenas setup and start from scratch, but I have a ton of data on it now.

Dave Hamby

Dabbler
Plex plugin eating swap space

I have Plex in a jail installed via plugin. After a day or so, FreeNAS goes missing. Waking the console finds repeated messages about swap space being exhausted. By process of elimination (stopping jails and VMS one at a time), I identified Plex as the culprit. The bad bit is that console message is not helpful. Have not run it down in logs. Basically, no breadcrumbs back to offending process image or process ID.

Apparently Plex has a memory leak and the jail is not dealing with it gracefully. Apparently plex is not checking system call status and just keeps trying to get more heap. Eventually, it has everything and FreeNAS kernel doesn't deal with the errant jail.

I'm guessing that this is an upstream issue over in FreeBSD land but it needs dealt with. This is a regression to SunOS 4 or there-bouts when I last managed to eat swap. (vfork failure spawning a subprocess in a loop -- Shell babbling in command tool had eaten memory).

ThreeDee

Guru
Plex plugin eating swap space

I have Plex in a jail installed via plugin. After a day or so, FreeNAS goes missing. Waking the console finds repeated messages about swap space being exhausted. By process of elimination (stopping jails and VMS one at a time), I identified Plex as the culprit. The bad bit is that console message is not helpful. Have not run it down in logs. Basically, no breadcrumbs back to offending process image or process ID.

Apparently Plex has a memory leak and the jail is not dealing with it gracefully. Apparently plex is not checking system call status and just keeps trying to get more heap. Eventually, it has everything and FreeNAS kernel doesn't deal with the errant jail.

I'm guessing that this is an upstream issue over in FreeBSD land but it needs dealt with. This is a regression to SunOS 4 or there-bouts when I last managed to eat swap. (vfork failure spawning a subprocess in a loop -- Shell babbling in command tool had eaten memory).
not helpful to you, but Plex is running good here
Version 1.16.0.1220

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
Great write up!
All my old warden jails have broken for sabnzbd, sickchill, couchpotato and transmission so I am trying to convert over to iocage. I am starting with plex but having a couple issues:

1. iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/tank1/apps/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0
I created a dataset for apps and made a plex folder in it (/mnt/zp1/apps/plex), what permissions and who should own this. Can I create this through a window SMB share ?

2. iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config
My video files have ownership of media:media should I change this ownership in plex to: iocage exec plex chown -R media:media /config

I followed the guide and have everything working except when I try to play movie trailer (I think they are pulling from YouTube), I get transcoding errors, all movies in the folders work fine, just cant get trailer to work.

Last edited:

Bizarro252

Dabbler
First off - THANK YOU! great write up and learned a lot!

I am having issues with the VPN kill switch through, it seems to not be working. I am guessing I may have my firewall settings wrong? I was unsure if I set the subnet masks correctly. Here is what I have in the file:

I got the <IP of VPN Entrance Node> from my openvpn config file (hope that is right... here is the top of that file where I got it:
Code:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote 209.95.36.152 1194

VPN seems to be working - checking via traceroute (is this the best way to check??) but when I stop the openVPN service I can continue to ping out of the jail.

Code:
# Allow internal traffic
add 03000 allow IP from 172.16.0.42/24 to 172.16.0.0/24 keep-state
add 03000 allow IP from 172.16.0.0/24 to 172.16.0.42/24 keep-state

# Allow access to Entrace IP for VPN
add 04000 allow IP from 172.16.0.42/24 to 209.95.36.152 keep-state

# Allow any traffic over the VPN interface
add 05000 allow IP from any to any via tun*

# Deny any other traffic
add 65534 deny IP from any to any

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
Trying to get plex to work, on the 4th step:

iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/zp1/apps/plex /config nullfs rw 0 0

I get
Destination: /mnt/zp1/iocage/jails/plex/root/config does not exist or is not a directory.

Do I just make this directory ?

mkdir -p /mnt/zp1/iocage/jails/plex/root/config

Bizarro252

Dabbler
Trying to get plex to work, on the 4th step:

I get
Destination: /mnt/zp1/iocage/jails/plex/root/config does not exist or is not a directory.

Do I just make this directory ?

mkdir -p /mnt/zp1/iocage/jails/plex/root/config

That's what I had to do. Just set this up and Plex is working great.

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
That's what I had to do. Just set this up and Plex is working great.

Need some help please!!!! This is killing, blown up pretty much everything.

I have it working but I am unable to play any Extra or Trailers, I get a transcoding error. I am figuring this is a permission issues but I dont know where at. Normal video play fine, pod casts and new play fine, its just the movie trailers and extra that error out.

I also can not get plex to update, I am at version 1.15.2.793 the most current is 1.16.2.1297.

I have a media share /mnt/zp1/video permissions are set to media:media

my iocage is at /mnt/zp1/iocage

I do have a plex user and group that I added from the FREENAS GUI.

Here is the entirety of what I am using:
Code:
# Create the Iocage Jail
iocage create -n "plex" -r 11.2-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.1.18/24" defaultrouter="192.168.1.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

# Mount Storages
iocage exec plex "mkdir -p /config"
#mkdir -p /mnt/zp1/iocage/jails/plex/root/config

iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/zp1/video /media nullfs rw 0 0

# Install Packages
iocage exec plex pkg install -y python2 py27-sqlite3 py27-openssl py27-pycryptodome security/ca_root_nss git mono mediainfo sqlite3 curl nano wget
iocage exec plex pkg update -f
iocage exec plex pkg upgrade -fy

# Install Plex Media Server Plexpass
iocage exec plex pkg install -y plexmediaserver-plexpass

# Set Permissions & Make Configuration Changes
iocage exec plex chown -R plex:plex /config

# Enable Service
iocage exec plex sysrc "plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES"
iocage exec plex sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_support_path="/config"

# Start Plex
iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

# Allow Plex Media Server to Update to the Latest Version
iocage exec plex mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
iocage exec plex echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

rknaub

Explorer
Got radarr installed and mostly working. Only thing I cant figure out is that it will not search when i click the magnifying glass. If I click manual search and then download a movie, it adds it to sab just fine, and then correctly moves the movie to the movies folder. Profiles and Quality settings are default right now. FreeNAS 11.2u5

Thanks for the help!

Bruce Wilfong

Explorer
This didnt work for me
# Allow Plex Media Server to Update to the Latest Version iocage exec plex mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos iocage exec plex echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

I did JLS into plex, did this and it now updates:

JLS JEXEC <JID> mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf <cut n paste> FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" } pkg upgrade

Still can not get movie trailers or extra to play.