Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
Thanks for the replys @ThreeDee and @Wolfeman0101

I checked pkg upgrade again earlier and the newest version (13 Mar 2019 1.15.1.791_1) was available.

I proceeded with the update which went fine, but then when I used "service -R" it got stuck on "waiting for PIDS". I waited 5 or so mins and then just clicked jails and relaunched the shell. I then tried "service plexmediaserver_plexpass stop" and it came back with something about it not existing. So I tried "service plexmediaserver_plexpass start" and got the same message.

I thought maybe the old version messed things up so i deleted the jail and the iocage dataset and started fresh.

This time i remembered to set the override for the latest packages before i installed anything.

Install of 1.15.1.791_1 went fine, I then used "service -R" again and it has been stuck since on "waiting for PIDS".

plex.JPG

Has been like this for over an hour now, so i assume it is not going to work, I'll leave it over night anyway and have a look tomorrow.

@Wolfeman0101 your instructions seem good but they have me a bit confused, plus now I cant even get plex up and running at all so I think i may just do what @ThreeDee has done and go without the nice new "plex DASHBOARD" for the time being.

I don't know if the "service -R" is completely necessary, maybe i will start fresh again tomorrow and try it without "service -R"

Night Chaps

socra

Dabbler
Wanted to add my $0.02 about the process I went through.
Followed the guides to adding sabnzbd (when is that going to be added as a standard plugin because you can't do much if you
don't have a download plugin in place.)

Somewhere in the guide these steps are documented:
Code:
iocage fstab -a sabnzbd /mnt/pool80/ds80/apps/sabnzbd /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a sabnzbd /mnt/pool80/ds80/torrents /mnt/torrents nullfs rw 0 0

[your paths may be different, but the above steps tripped me up when I had to start over please read on]

This worked fine when I initially setup sabnzbd (this was release 11.2-RELEASE-p4)
After some weirdness with a sata connection (so I'm told) FreeNAS *** up my volume(was unable to import my pool after that) and all was lost (lesson 1: don't use encryption, the platform is not mature enough even if you have the backed up the keyfile etc.)
So I followed the same process:
- created user + group newmedia [uid=816] [was already present so skipped]
- created the data + torrents datasets
- created + shared the sabnzbd folder in the torrents dataset
- gave group everyone + newmedia modify rights through windows
- set permissions to Unix on the apps dataset
- set permissions RWX for everyone [checked all the boxes below the permission options]

From Windows create the folders incomplete, complete and nzb in the sabnzbd share
Then from the shell
Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["sabnzbdplus","ca_root_nss"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "sabnzbd" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.2-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.10.20/24" defaultrouter="192.168.10.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
rm /tmp/pkg.json
stop jail
iocage fstab -a
iocage fstab -a sabnzbd /mnt/pool80/ds80/apps/sabnzbd /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a sabnzbd /mnt/pool80/ds80/torrents /mnt/torrents nullfs rw 0 0

When I started the jail I got an error..after searching and searching I found out that the jail which was downloaded now (11.2-RELEASE-p9)
Did not have a config folder and a torrent folder!!!!
So I created these
Code:
mkdir /mnt/pool80/iocage/jails/sabnzbd/root/config
mkdir /mnt/pool80/iocage/jails/sabnzbd/root/mnt/torrents

Then continued on:
Code:
iocage exec sabnzbd ln -s /usr/local/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/python
iocage exec sabnzbd ln -s /usr/local/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/python2

start the jail
open a shell in the jail
from inside the jail: pw useradd -n newmedia -u 816 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
close the shell
Code:
iocage exec sabnzbd sysrc 'sabnzbd_user=newmedia'
iocage exec sabnzbd chown -R newmedia:newmedia /usr/local/share/sabnzbdplus
iocage exec sabnzbd chown -R newmedia:newmedia /usr/local/share/doc/sabnzbdplus
iocage exec sabnzbd chown -R newmedia:newmedia /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd /config
iocage exec sabnzbd sysrc sabnzbd_enable=YES
iocage exec sabnzbd sysrc sabnzbd_conf_dir="/config"
iocage exec sabnzbd service sabnzbd start
iocage exec sabnzbd service sabnzbd stop
iocage exec sabnzbd sed -i '' -e 's?host = 127.0.0.1?host = 0.0.0.0?g' /config/sabnzbd.ini
iocage exec sabnzbd sed -i '' -e 's?download_dir = Downloads/incomplete?download_dir = /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd/incomplete?g' /config/sabnzbd.ini
iocage exec sabnzbd sed -i '' -e 's?complete_dir = Downloads/complete?complete_dir = /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd/complete?g' /config/sabnzbd.ini
iocage command for watch directory
iocage exec sabnzbd service sabnzbd start

done

Last edited:

path

Dabbler
Trying to update jackett from the UI seems to simply result in the service shutting down. When I restart it, it's still stuck at the version I installed.
1) I do not see an updater.txt
2) Does using uid 818 matter at all? I used the same UID I use across all my jails to make it easier to work with permissions.

Pentaflake

Explorer
Thanks for the replys @ThreeDee and @Wolfeman0101

I checked pkg upgrade again earlier and the newest version (13 Mar 2019 1.15.1.791_1) was available.

I proceeded with the update which went fine, but then when I used "service -R" it got stuck on "waiting for PIDS". I waited 5 or so mins and then just clicked jails and relaunched the shell. I then tried "service plexmediaserver_plexpass stop" and it came back with something about it not existing. So I tried "service plexmediaserver_plexpass start" and got the same message.

I thought maybe the old version messed things up so i deleted the jail and the iocage dataset and started fresh.

This time i remembered to set the override for the latest packages before i installed anything.

Install of 1.15.1.791_1 went fine, I then used "service -R" again and it has been stuck since on "waiting for PIDS".

Has been like this for over an hour now, so i assume it is not going to work, I'll leave it over night anyway and have a look tomorrow.

@Wolfeman0101 your instructions seem good but they have me a bit confused, plus now I can't even get plex up and running at all so I think i may just do what @ThreeDee has done and go without the nice new "plex DASHBOARD" for the time being.

I don't know if the "service -R" is completely necessary, maybe i will start fresh again tomorrow and try it without "service -R"

Night Chaps

This can be resolved by the fix in this post. It should be fixed eventully in the package and port.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-tuner...reventing-shut-down-of-plex-service/197913/23

JJT211

Patron
I have changed the repo of my sabnzbd jail to the latest one so I could get the most recent sabnzbd version via pkg. .

I see that im on the quarterly as well. How did you update sabnzbd jail to latest repo?

nMad

Dabbler
I see that im on the quarterly as well. How did you update sabnzbd jail to latest repo?
Code:
iocage exec <jail_name> "mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos"
iocage exec <jail_name> "echo -e 'FreeBSD: { url: \"pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/\${ABI}/latest\" }' > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf"

I installed Transmission manually in an iocage jail using this guide. However, the Transmission service stops once every few days. The jail is still up and running and I am able to start the Transmission service again without any problems. I tried rebooting the jail and the server itself without any luck.

I can't find any errors in /var/log/messages other than normal Tranmission logging about torrents.

Can someone please help me out?

JJT211

Patron
Thank you sir!

For some reason, that second command wouldnt work for me outside of the jail, so for anyone stumbling upon this post in the future, here's the ELI5 version

Code:
jls
jexec [jail #]
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
ee /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Then paste into editor

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

press esc and then save file

Now enter to update

Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade

Restart service to apply

Code:
service sabnzbd restart

SavageAUS

Patron
In the process of migrating back from docker (rancher) as its too slow and i came across this error with Sonarr,
Code:
root@freenas[~]# iocage exec sonarr service sonarr start
Starting sonarr.
Unmatched '"'.
Unmatched '"'.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sonarr: WARNING: failed to start sonarr

I can't for the life of me see where the error is.

muddypaper

Cadet
I'm just starting this process, migrating my existing 9.* warden jails to iocage jails and I have a question about the file layout.
Pentaflake said:
This setup assumes you have a video dataset, a torrent dataset and apps dataset that has a dataset under it for each application's configuration files owned by the user that it will run as.

Currently, I have all transmission related files in the jail dataset (i.e. /tank/jails/transmission_1/) but this guides seems to say to split it up, with iocage information going into /tank/iocage/jails/transmission and transmission configuration going into a new app dataset, /tank/apps/transmissions.

Is split new to iocage? Or did I miss something when I set up the warden jail?

SavageAUS

Patron
Prasanth have you had any luck with getting the service to start? I am encountering the same problem on my end as well.
OMBI is unsupported in a FreeNAS jail.

SavageAUS

Patron
In the process of migrating back from docker (rancher) as its too slow and i came across this error with Sonarr,
Code:
root@freenas[~]# iocage exec sonarr service sonarr start
Starting sonarr.
Unmatched '"'.
Unmatched '"'.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sonarr: WARNING: failed to start sonarr

I can't for the life of me see where the error is.
BUMP!
I copied and pasted the info from the resource into the sonnar file so how come it doesn't work anymore?
Jackett has the same error.

Last edited:

SavageAUS

Patron
Sonarr is the only one giving me grief now. It states its started but no webpage access.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Last edited:

Derek Dysart

Cadet
I wanted to take a moment and say thanks for this guide. It took my a bit, but I was able to get my stack (Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, NzbGet) migrated from a single warden jail to a series of iocage jails. I'm also exploring Tautuilli and Organizr since they were pretty easy to get working. I don't know if I'll keep them long term, as I don't really see their value, but I love the way this is all organized.

One thing worth noting that I had to add to most of the commands was actually making the directories for the mounts:

Code:
iocage exec <jail> mkdir -p /config
iocage exec <jail> mkdir -p /mnt/media

Otherwise the iocage fstab commands would fail. Again, thanks for this guide!

KRDucky

Dabbler
Would someone please make one like this except using SABNzbd or NZBGet instead of Transmission and a VPN like PIA? I want to have my Sabnzbd traffic run over my VPN (PIA) all the while allowing sonarr and Couchpotato/Radarr to talk to it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why would you want to run usenet traffic over a VPN? Use SSL, that will prevent anyone from sniffing the traffic. Edit: and this guide already includes SABnzbd.

ofthepines

Cadet
I wasn't sure how to search this entire discussion and wanted to see if anyone encountered a similar issue to me. I have sabnzbd, sonarr and plex all running in freenas. sonarr succesfully fetches data and sends it over to sab, which downloads it and sonarr moves it to my media dir. The issue happens with plex. Plex was able to import my library initially fine, but whenever new data gets added, it won't update in the plex library.

cooter

Dabbler
Regarding Transmission and VPN...

It is stated:

If you are going to going to use the vpn, you will need add a preinit task in the webui to run the following command as well as run it once before you setup the jail. This adds a rule to the default devfs_ruleset applied to all iocage jails to allow them to access tun devices.

devfs rule -s 4 add path 'tun*' unhide

If I didn't run this before I setup the Jail, do I have to blow it away and start over, or is there another option?

silverback

Contributor
Regarding Transmission and VPN...

It is stated:

If you are going to going to use the vpn, you will need add a preinit task in the webui to run the following command as well as run it once before you setup the jail. This adds a rule to the default devfs_ruleset applied to all iocage jails to allow them to access tun devices.

devfs rule -s 4 add path 'tun*' unhide

If I didn't run this before I setup the Jail, do I have to blow it away and start over, or is there another option?

From reading other comments on the forum people are getting different results as far as “tun interface”.
I thought the above was repaired in an update, but I have not been able to connect to Airvpn from an iocage jail so I will give this a try.