Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

Prasanth

Contributor
Prasanth have you had any luck with getting the service to start? I am encountering the same problem on my end as well.
unfortunately no luck here...I don't even know how to take a look at the log files for this service properly

Pentaflake

Explorer
Curious @Pentaflake why you install Plex then lock the package and use the pmsupdater script. Why not install the plexpass version via pkg pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass and keep it up to date with pkg?

@Jailer The pkg version generally seemed to be days late at getting updates sometimes after they were available on plex. That said I haven't tried using the pkg version in sometime (at least a year or 2). I'll have to recreate that using the pkg and see how long it currently takes to get the latest plexpass version. If its fairly quick now, I'll update the guide.

@lordofchance and @Prasanth I missed adding 2 lines when I was copying stuff over

to Create the user:
pw useradd ombi -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin -c "ombi service account" -u 819

also need to take ownership of the /config folder
chown -R ombi:ombi /config

That should resolve the issues both of you are having.

I should actually get updates again on new posts in this thread.

Pentaflake

Explorer
@Jailer I did some testing this evening and confirmed both the plexmediaserver and plexmediaserver-plexpass packages have still not been updated for an update that was released over 2 days ago in the past it still took longer time then that. This delay in package updates is part of the reason I use the manual update. I get notified by plexpy as soon as updates are available and after I read the changelog and reactions online I run the update script. I'd personally not rather wait for the repo to be updated especially if there are security fixes or new features being added.

That said I will update the guide in a day or so to include both ways to install and update Plex. Hopefully this will give people more choice to choose which method works best for their workflow.

Prasanth

Contributor
@Jailer The pkg version generally seemed to be days late at getting updates sometimes after they were available on plex. That said I haven't tried using the pkg version in sometime (at least a year or 2). I'll have to recreate that using the pkg and see how long it currently takes to get the latest plexpass version. If its fairly quick now, I'll update the guide.

@lordofchance and @Prasanth I missed adding 2 lines when I was copying stuff over

to Create the user:
pw useradd ombi -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin -c "ombi service account" -u 819

also need to take ownership of the /config folder
chown -R ombi:ombi /config

That should resolve the issues both of you are having.

I should actually get updates again on new posts in this thread.

thanks this worked for me

danb35

Hall of Famer
I did some testing this evening and confirmed both the plexmediaserver and plexmediaserver-plexpass packages have still not been updated for an update that was released over 2 days ago
Oh, good Lord! The packages are two days out of date! Is this really a problem?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That update script was created to manually update the FreeNAS plex plugin. It may not be a problem but I would worry a bit that it might break dependencies if your doing something to skirt something installed via pkg. I'm curious to see what version of plexmediaserver pkg reports after a manual update via pmsupdater has been run.

Pentaflake

Explorer
I've gone ahead and updated to the guide to just be the best practices. I've used the way I had it initially since I first setup this box around mid 2014 without ever having an issue. pkg still reports the version initially installed when I setup this jail once moving to FN11 with v1.9.1.4272-b207937f1 actually installed currently. I personally just prefer to have the most updated version as its available. Worst case if something goes wrong I'll just recreate the jail and be on my way it takes less than 10 minutes.

As of 9/25 plexpass version is now 2 updates behind and normal version is 3 updates behind.

Last edited:

Bern

Cadet
I took your guide and put it into Notepad++ so I could use folding (makes it easier to focus on what you're currently on) with a few extra bits and a config for NZBGet if you want to add it to your guide. Thanks again!

Attachments

• MediaStack_setup.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 974

Pentaflake

Explorer
@Bern NZBget has been added to the guide I made a few changes. using the pkg version for easier updates using cyberjocks update script, using the torrent dataset for storage as it where downloads would likely be kept before being moved by sonarr/radarr to the video dataset and this matches the setup used for other jails in the guide. In addition I removed the Umask setting as this will vary based on what method people are using for their permission method.

For reference the precmd block seen in the rc files is only required on applications that use mono.

Thanks for the information on the config settings required to get nzbget running.

Edit: I also setup folding of each application in the guide for better readability as more items get added. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bern

Cadet
@Bern NZBget has been added to the guide I made a few changes. using the pkg version for easier updates using cyberjocks update script, using the torrent dataset for storage as it where downloads would likely be kept before being moved by sonarr/radarr to the video dataset and this matches the setup used for other jails in the guide. In addition I removed the Umask setting as this will vary based on what method people are using for their permission method.

For reference the precmd block seen in the rc files is only required on applications that use mono.

Thanks for the information on the config settings required to get nzbget running.

Edit: I also setup folding of each application in the guide for better readability as more items get added. Thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed your changes and actually slapped my hand against my head and deleted that jail haha. The nice thing about this whole setup is it's really simple to get everything back up and running. I like a lot of the ways you approached each app, I think I over-thought everything for NZBGet because it was 4am when I was working on it (in reference to rc files and such)... I'm on the same boat wanting the most up-to-date version of my apps which is why I went the port direction, but I hate the overhead of ports (space mostly). I agree with the Umask removal, I basically just put in there so I wouldn't glaze over it in my setup.

The only small thing I would change, is "NZBGet as a Transmission alternative". I would say it's more like an addition to your toolkit in an automated HTPC. I prefer NZBGet (SABnzbd is a close second) for usenet files, and transmission for torrents. I don't have the need to have the NZB downloader behind a vpn (SSL is fine) so I prefer to have them seperate and unless I've missed something, I wasn't aware that Transmission could handle nzb files.

Anyways, solid work. The next thing I'll probably add to my personal stack is probably Organizr and documenting my nginx setup. When I do I'll post them here if you want to include them.

Bern

Cadet
@Pentaflake I would also add in there that if you use pkg install nzbget that you'll want to also install python27 if you want to use extension scripts.

EDIT: scratch that, I didn't realize it is included...

Pentaflake

Explorer
Organizr has been on my to test out / preview list for sometime now but I don't really need any of its features as a simple jail with nginx configured with ssl and basic reverse proxies by url has served my needs for years, so it has been on the back burner.

I used the term alternative loosely mainly as most people I know use either torrents or usenet. Transmission is just for torrents.

aberg83

Cadet
For sabnzbd, I installed using 'pkg' with a mount of a dataset containing sabnzbd.ini, etc. to /usr/local/sabnzbd. Seems to work nicely. Would you agree with this approach? It's similar to how you setup plex.

Pentaflake

Explorer
For sabnzbd, I installed using 'pkg' with a mount of a dataset containing sabnzbd.ini, etc. to /usr/local/sabnzbd. Seems to work nicely. Would you agree with this approach? It's similar to how you setup plex.

Sabnzbd has a switch when running as a daemon to select the config directory which will allow you to put just the config files in its own folder. That directory can be specified with a setting in rc.conf. Try this it worked fine in a test jail but I don't have a usenet account with a provider to actually test with. If it works I'll pretty up the directions for the guide.

Code:
Mount
/mnt/tank1/apps/sabnzbd   >>>  /config
/mnt/tank1/torrents   >>>   /mnt/torrents

pkg install sabnzbdplus

mkdir -p /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd/incomplete
mkdir -p /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd/complete

chown -R _sabnzbd:_sabnzbd /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd /config

sysrc sabnzbd_enable=YES
sysrc sabnzbd_conf_dir="/config"

service sabnzbd start
service sabnzbd stop

vi/nano/whatever   /config/sabnzbd.ini and change these 3 things
host = 0.0.0.0
download_dir = /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd/incomplete
complete_dir = /mnt/torrents/sabnzbd/complete

service sabnzbd start

http://jailip:8080/sabnzbd/

Last edited:

Pentaflake

Explorer
Pentaflake updated FN11 Jails setup for Plex, PlexPy, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, Ombi, Transmission, Nzbget and Organizr with a new update entry:

Updated Plex directions to move plex data to /config

Updated Plex directions to move plex data to /config to make it consistent with every other application's jail setup.

If you had it setup the old way you can easily migrate if you like by stopping plex:
Non Plexpass:
service plexmediaserver stop
Plexpass:
service plexmediaserver_plexpass stop

In the freenas web gui create a new mount for the plex jail under the Jails > Jails Storage tab
/mnt/tank1/apps/plex >>> /config
then remove the old mount either for the plex...

Read the rest of this update entry...