FN 11.2 Nextcloud Database

noob_noob

Cadet
Still not fixed. The only reason to use a plugin is to not have to deal with all the details like this. It's a case of yes I (others) want this on my network, but no I don't have time to mess with it. Going to try dan35's script. The only thing that I don't like about that is that I have to update manually. Eff I'm lazy.

mruby

Dabbler
Glad I found this, I was able to get past the setup screen that asks for DB creds. I am having other issues though.

For one, the suggested setup for jobs is to use cron. Seems like a simple thing to include in the plugin, but to solve, just do this:

Code:
=> crontab -u www -e
# Add the following entry:
*/5  *  *  *  * php -f /usr/local/www/nextcloud/cron.php

Now I am reviewing the overview page here:
/index.php/settings/admin/overview

and I get all these errors:
There are some errors regarding your setup.
  • Some files have not passed the integrity check. Further information on how to resolve this issue can be found in the documentation. (List of invalid files… / Rescan…)
  • PHP does not seem to be setup properly to query system environment variables. The test with getenv("PATH") only returns an empty response. Please check the installation documentation ↗ for PHP configuration notes and the PHP configuration of your server, especially when using php-fpm.
  • MySQL is used as database but does not support 4-byte characters. To be able to handle 4-byte characters (like emojis) without issues in filenames or comments for example it is recommended to enable the 4-byte support in MySQL. For further details read the documentation page about this.
  • Accessing site insecurely via HTTP. You are strongly adviced to set up your server to require HTTPS instead, as described in the security tips ↗.

Integrity check failure shows:
Results
=======
- accessibility
- FILE_MISSING
- l10n/mk.js
- l10n/mk.json

Why isn't SSL setup? Why are files missing from the nextcloud install? Why isn't 4-byte support in MySQL enabled?

This sounds like a lot of complaining about something someone took the time to do. Basically if a plugin is half done, there should be a way to indicate this, or maybe we just remove it till its ready.

At this point, i'm thinking this is just too much work to use this plugin. I may just nuke this and try owncloud instead. It was not the 1-click install I had hoped for :(

danb35

Hall of Famer
and I get all these errors:
Those aren't really errors, they're warnings--they're ways the setup could be improved, but they do not keep the system from operating as designed.
Why isn't SSL setup?
Because there's simply no way to do that in a trusted manner within the constraints of a plugin. My script does it, but it requires user input that plugins don't appear capable of asking for. It could probably be done with a self-signed cert, but that doesn't really get you anything.
Why isn't 4-byte support in MySQL enabled?
I don't believe the installed version of MySQL supports it. In any event, it doesn't keep the system from working (unless you need emojis in filenames, I guess).
Why are files missing from the nextcloud install?
Not sure about this one. Curiously, my PR to the plugin resolves this, though I can't see any reason it should. They don't affect functionality in any way I can see though.

Edit to add:
For one, the suggested setup for jobs is to use cron.
I don't think it's the intent of any of the plugins to provide a "reference" or perfect installation of the software in question, but rather to get something working (at which this plugin also fails) that you can then adjust to suit your needs. But you're right, this could be done in the plugin pretty easily. I may do a separate PR for that, if the first is merged.

Last edited:

sunnyli233

Cadet
Just ran into the same issue. Transpires the database credentials are in text files in the root directory of the jail. To access from the UI go to the Jails from the sidebar, then click the 3 vertical dots to the right of your Nextcloud jail to open the menu, then select "Shell".

Once in the shell, type "ls" (without the quotes) and you'll see the dbname, dbuser and dbpassword files. To get your credentials, just cat them (e.g.: "cat dbname").
Thx. This helps me a lot

chravis

Contributor
I stumbled upon this thread because I'm also having issues. After installing the plugin, it pops up some information including the db name and password, so that's all good. However, when I try to enter those into the initial Nextcloud configuration screen, I'm getting the error:

Code:
Error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occurred in driver: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory

It seems as though either the plugin did not create the database or the database is not up and running. The little popup after the plugin install leads me to believe it did create the database, so I'm not sure what is going on. Here is the info from the popup:

Code:
Install Notes:
nginx_enable: -> YES
mysql_enable: -> YES
php_fpm_enable: -> YES
Performing sanity check on nginx configuration:
Starting nginx.
Performing sanity check on php-fpm configuration:
Starting php_fpm.
Starting mysql.
Stopping php_fpm.
Waiting for PIDS: 33681.
Starting php_fpm.
Stopping nginx.
Waiting for PIDS: 33670.
Starting nginx.

chravis

Contributor
I was never able to solve this problem either. I guess I'm DOA for now unless someone has a suggestion.