First build report (for 4k video editing)

durup

Cadet
Hello, I am a freelance filmmaker.

It has been for 3 months with these builds, and I've just finished and rendering my final episode on my documentary project so came here to write some report.

First, I would like to thank you all of the members in this forum. I've searched and found a lot of infos and hints so that I could build and used these for production and it was such a pleasure.

the build is like below (as my signature says)

*Main NAS - Dell Poweredge T620
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2650, 2.0GHz 6 Core (12 thread)
Memory: 128 GB of 16GB sticks Samsung PC3-12800R, DDR3 Registered ECC
HBA: Dell Perc H310 (LSA9211-8i, 6Gbps SAS PCI-E 2.0 HBA) - flashed to IT Firmware
Additional NIC: Emulex OCE11102

Storage pool: 2 vdevs
vdev-0 = 2 x 256GB drives in mirror (2 ADATA SU800 SSDs) for jails
vdev-1 = 6 x 8 TB drives in striped mirror (6 WD Red HDDs) with 960GB nvme SSD for L2ARC (HP EX920) / 58GB nvme SSD for SLOG (Intel Optane M10)
Jails: running 3 jail (Plex, Nextcloud, Postgresql) originally from the plugin

Boot pool: 1 vdev with 2 x 256 GB SSDs in mirror (2 drives total - ADATA SU800)

*Backup NAS - HP proliant microserver gen8 (replicates main Nas every day)
Processor: Intel Pentium G1610, E5-2650, 2.0GHz 2 Core (2 thread)
Memory: 8 GB Hynix brand PC2-5300, DDR3 Non-registered ECC

Storage pool: 1 vdevs
vdev-1 = 5 x 8 TB drives in RAIDZ (5 WD White HDDs from WD elements) for backup
No jails running

Boot pool: 1 vdev with 2 x 32 GB USB thumbdrives in mirror (2 drives total - Sandisk cruiser)

I was using HP gen8 and syno ds414 till last year.
What I wanted to do was : fast, reliable, budget-friendly(?), more bay.
Synology / QNAP solutions were way to expensive and I wasn't busy before projects, started to plan and collected parts.

I bought a NIB T620 for 450USD without drives and memories, 10 bucks for e5-2620, 300bucks for used memories from local resellers.
other parts were mine or newly bought.

Install and setting was so easy. I had to modify some tunables for faster ARC fills though.

I and my 2 coworkers (video editors) are connected with 10Gbe, using Premier Pro, Davinci Resolve and After Effects with 4K footages without any problem.

ARC hit ratio comes almost 90~95% normally.

Actually I don't know everything about what I've done and even thinking this is an overkill for the purpose but my first priority was redundancy and safety so I think this isn't too bad.

Since I am happy with freenas and successfully made my project done, I'll build a new one with Asrock rack x470 Mobo just for fun. Maybe it will replace my gen8 cause I found that I need more bay for the backup Nas...

Sorry my english isn't good and I normally don't write on the internet. I thought i got so many helps from here so this is more like a small contribution to forum.

Feel free to correct my setup, and any other recommendations / tips are so welcome. Ask me anything. Thanks!

davidpsplace

Dabbler
I am just building my system for video editing. I'm waffling between 1X12 RAIDZ3 and 2X6 RAIDZ2. I Don't know if it matters but I'm editing with Davinci resolve. My files are mainly from GH5 and Atomos NinjaV. Some of the NinjaV files can be over 500MB/s. I'm leaning toward RAIDZ3. Any opinions?