SOLVED Finally updating from 9.3...

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
1551672440530.png

Looks like I gotta bump to 9.10 first though. Wish me luck!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Yeah, my main holdback was all my VirtualBox VMs, but I moved most everything to other VMs and can lose the one I didn't without too much pain (I was thinking of using zoneminder in a jail for that one). Here's to hoping it installs properly ( wonder what my jails will do. 'twill be interesting...)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The VirtualBox jail will not survive well because of changes to the networking.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
The VirtualBox jail will not survive well because of changes to the networking.
Yeah, that's why I spent a lot of time getting everything off VirtualBox. Especially since bhyve will definitely not play nice....

'twill be interesting...

Oh dear, looks like the docs must have disappeared between 9.10 and 11.3?

Code:
Mar  3 21:36:44 storagesrv updated.py: [freenasOS.Configuration:417] Package docs is not in database
Mar  3 21:36:52 storagesrv updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:1289] Update got exception during update: Unable to remove contents for package docs
Mar  3 21:36:52 storagesrv kernel: <118>Mar  3 21:36:52 storagesrv updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:1289] Update got exception during update: Unable to remove contents for package docs
Mar  3 21:36:52 storagesrv manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: Unable to remove contents for package docs]
Mar  3 21:52:08 storagesrv updated.py: [freenasOS.Configuration:417] Package docs is not in database
Mar  3 21:52:15 storagesrv updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:1289] Update got exception during update: Unable to remove contents for package docs
Mar  3 21:52:15 storagesrv kernel: <118>Mar  3 21:52:15 storagesrv updated.py: [freenasOS.Update:1289] Update got exception during update: Unable to remove contents for package docs

Hrmm....

Edit: Let's try going to 11.2 stable first...

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Wait. 11.3 is a nightly and you would are skipping over a couple of intermediate versions. Why?

If you're upgrading your computer from Windows XP to 10, do you first go through Vista, then 7, then 8, then 8.1?

I'm riding from the 9.3 nightlies all the way up, but regardless of that nightly status the upgrade from major revision should still be compatible (if at all), minor version should not make a difference.

In any case, it's a checkpoint that going from 9.10 to 11.3 (currently) does not work. ‍♀️

And to answer the question why I was on 9.3 nightlies, well this was the server I was using when CyberJock and I first got the VirtualBox jail running, and once you're on the nightly train you can't easily back out, so there it stayed.

Edit: And going to 11.2 also did not work. Hmm....

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In any case, it's a checkpoint that going from 9.10 to 11.3 (currently) does not work. ‍♀️
I didn't write the instructions for fun. I guess you don't care if you break it. Good luck.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
I didn't write the instructions for fun. I guess you don't care if you break it. Good luck.
Considering your instructions are technically impossible for me to follow, I fail to see why you're so snarky and sarcastic at me. 11.1 is not a selectable option on 9.10 (unless you mean FreeNAS-11-STABLE, which is not indicated this is the version you intended).

For that matter, since you're recommending to do a manual installation with the tar files (why?) perhaps I'll force it with that instead, except wait, that's not an option in 9.10 and I'm not going to shove a new USB stick into the system because that's the way you said so.

This isn't the I Need Help subforum, I was just documenting in off-topic my foibles. Sorry if I somehow led you to believe otherwise.

Edit: And also FreeNAS-11-STABLE similarly did not work. So, upgrading using the UI is not a supported path then. Now I know, and can log a ticket.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Oh dear, looks like the docs must have disappeared between 9.10 and 11.3?

More accurately, the docs package disappeared going from 9.3 to 9.10, but it was still being expected to be deleted (hence the error message), and since you can't successfully delete something that doesn't exist (I guess), it was failing the update.

So, I bodged a return True in the package delete function (essentially "If the package doesn't exist, we must be done deleting it because it doesn't exist, move along comrade") and now I'm chugging onward to 11.3!

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
now I'm chugging onward to 11.3!

Well that failed spectacularly. Somehow the update didn't apply correctly and broke the shiny new boot environment (thank $deity for that feature, fixing was a simple selection in the boot menu!).

Sadly, couldn't get it to work right, so ISO download and burn it is...

1551688930268.png

Oh, apparently upgrade is not possible.

Well, good thing I took that config backup...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Have you figured out that someone else might be able to help you yet?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
11.3 is nowhere close to stable. It's not even guaranteed to install or boot or anything at this point.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Have you figured out that someone else might be able to help you yet?
I'll start up a thread in the Help subforum when I wish for help, thanks!

Now, I'm dealing with some magic that seems to be related to this topic, and collectd is magicking RRDTool to crash constantly. Both issues (naturally) do not seem to happen if I don't use my config and start with a bare pool.

Also, PAM seems to have died entirely...

1551763802050.png

I love this magic...

Last edited:

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
11.3 is nowhere close to stable. It's not even guaranteed to install or boot or anything at this point.

I'm well aware of the intricacies of nightly builds.

Interesting to note: if you still happen to have not migrated away your warden jails when upgrading to 11.3 you WILL LOSE THEIR CONFIGURATION and will not work because warden is completely removed.

This should be bolded, embiggened, and surrounded in blinky text if any are detected during the update check...

This is fun for me, because I have jails with datasets that have a space in the name will break during migration (It replaces spaces with \040 I think). Much fun...

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
This is fun for me, because I have jails with datasets that have a space in the name will break during migration (It replaces spaces with \040 I think). Much fun...

Okay, so apparently the correct method of escaping is putting \040 for the space (fine), but the WebUI certainly doesn't like that, and can't cross-translate that when reading/generating the fstab file for iocage. Great.

The backend validation also fails, because indeed the folders' names do not have \040 in them, and so it's invalid, and so it doesn't accept any corrections I make.

I think though, now that the primary jail seems migrated and working fine (it's a namp jail) I'll attempt the nightly again...
Still NFC what's going on with collectd though.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Still NFC what's going on with collectd though.

Still no real clue. I just blew away the RRD folder, told collectd to regenerate the database files (by altering the time scale value, still works in Old UI but for some reason is not present in New UI), and after a reboot all is well.

Now to migrate the dead VirtualBox VM into bhyve...

And figure out why the cifs table columns weren't update. *sigh*

Code:
"[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_netbiosname: cifs_srv_netbiosname field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_netbiosalias: cifs_srv_netbiosalias field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_workgroup: cifs_srv_workgroup field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_description: cifs_srv_description field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_enable_smb1: cifs_srv_enable_smb1 field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_unixcharset: cifs_srv_unixcharset field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_loglevel: cifs_srv_loglevel field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_syslog: cifs_srv_syslog field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_localmaster: cifs_srv_localmaster field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_domain_logons: cifs_srv_domain_logons field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_timeserver: cifs_srv_timeserver field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_guest: cifs_srv_guest field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_filemask: cifs_srv_filemask field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_dirmask: cifs_srv_dirmask field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_nullpw: cifs_srv_nullpw field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_smb_options: cifs_srv_smb_options field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_unixext: cifs_srv_unixext field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_zeroconf: cifs_srv_zeroconf field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_hostlookup: cifs_srv_hostlookup field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_allow_execute_always: cifs_srv_allow_execute_always field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_obey_pam_restrictions: cifs_srv_obey_pam_restrictions field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_ntlmv1_auth: cifs_srv_ntlmv1_auth field not recognized
[EINVAL] datastore_update.cifs_srv_bindip: cifs_srv_bindip field not recognized
"

Last edited:

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Now to migrate the dead VirtualBox VM into bhyve...

Moving from BIOS boot to UEFI was surprisingly painless, once I got a drive emulator that properly proposed the disk as a physical drive to Windows, some copy back-and-forth shenanigans, partition wankery, and installation of virtio drivers for the NIC. and dd-ing it to a ZVOL. Lost activation of course, will talk to the Microsoft robots about that tomorrow.

And figure out why the cifs table columns weren't update. *sigh*
Reinstalling as an upgrade did the trick.

That leaves the Active Directory joining and fixing the openpam_check_error_code(): pam_sm_setcred(): unexpected return value 12 error. I suspect that both will be resolved simultaneously...

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
I suspect that both will be resolved simultaneously...

Ah, apparently activating Active Directory in the ne UI is broken? Doing it in the Legacy UI worked fine, and now I'm happy to say that the important things are all done.

Yay!

Not bad for a hack job...