Finally Building New Server

Devilstompa

Dabbler
Hello im finally building a Real server I got a X8DTL-iF, LGA 1366 Motherboard am going to be running 2 Xeon E5620 4 Core Each. Is this a good setup ?

Funny, I just came across an X8 supermicro board recently. Haven't built anything on it yet though.

Whether those are good parts or not depends on what you plan to do with the server and what your budget is.

Devilstompa

Dabbler
I was wondering if you are able to overclock xeon cpu's on the motherboard I bought

xcqn

Cadet
Ofcourse it will work!

Beware, these old Xeons are power hungry! Sure you need dual Xeons? Fun, but do you really need? :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was wondering if you are able to overclock xeon cpu's on the motherboard I bought
No. Supermicro did make a gaming board that had some overclocking capability, but not in their server boards and most Xeon processors are only capable of a tiny amount of overclock even if you have a board that can do it. In the end, it would simply be better to buy faster processors.

For that particular board, it takes a relatively large amount of power because it is around ten years old. Dated technology that consumes a lot more power than more recent gear. I would suggest you look at newer equipment, but this will work if you are on a super tight budget.

Here is a link to a build that you can do for under $600 if you have the desire and money:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...anges-to-upgrade-as-high-as-512gb-of-ram.110/

file_haver

Explorer
I also just got a X8 board (X8SIL to be exact) but i have a L3406 in it so it only pulls ~60 watts for the whole machine when i am running plex server and not really anything else from it. I can't imagine the higher TDP CPU's of that era are going to impact performance so significantly the L Xeon should be avoided. It does fine for me, speaking as a single user non-enterprise use case.