File transfer slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrueresistance

Dabbler
Hello all,

I have a simple question for some of you more advanced Freenas users. I'm running 8.0.4Multimedia and have everything working. I use Handbrake to rip my DVD's and Handbrake places them in one dataset, "HandbrakeRip". The question I have is when I move files from one dataset, "HandbrakeRip" to another, "Movies" I can only get a transfer speed of only 1.8 +- .2Mbs. Even when I ssh into the machine and use mv it takes quite a long time. If I have the movie ripped to my local desktop hard drive and then transfer it directly to "Movies" I end up with speeds around 70+-10Mbs.

Is there something that I can configure to increase the write speed when moving from dataset to dataset, or is there no way around the huge performance drop?

Kimba

Dabbler
The only things I can think of is to change the time you use Handbrake, though handbrake does take a long time so that will be hard to do. The other is to have the files local (source & dest) and when done move it to the NAS.

When I do it my machine performance sucks -- I see this as more of a handbrake issue than freeNAS

ProtoSD

MVP
Is there something that I can configure to increase the write speed when moving from dataset to dataset, or is there no way around the huge performance drop?

Yes, but I don't remember specifically what it is at the moment ;)

There was a time about a month ago when I was really messing with the settings and I hit some magic setting that really improved copying between datasets, but that wasn't my goal at the time and I didn't keep track of which setting it was.

Currently it's still better than it was originally, but not as good as those other settings.

I've got a busy afternoon, but I'll see if I can dig up some settings for you to try.

-- Proto

atrueresistance

Dabbler
When I do it my machine performance sucks -- I see this as more of a handbrake issue than freeNAS

I'm not specifically worried on the time Handbrake takes to convert the file. I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about about the time it takes to transfer a COMPLETE file. I am just trying to understand the difference in speed between

COMPLETE{local desktop} -> FREENAS dataset 70Mb/s
COMPLETE{freenas dataset} -> FREENAS dataset 1.8Mb/s

Status
Not open for further replies.