Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Fails to boot - Can't import boot-pool

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE

brando56894

Neophyte Sage
Edit: turns out that it's failing to import the boot-pool by name but continuing to attempt to boot up, so the screen is flooded with it trying to initialize my 16 HDDs

Ok this one confuses me... I installed SCALE on my home server so I could help with testing. It installed just fine, but when I went to boot up the installed system it crashes citing something about a SATA error or timeout but it goes by too quickly for me to see. It initializes the other devices connected to my HBA and then hangs 16 seconds into the boot process citing two SATA links are down. Pressing enter drops me to the initramfs shell.

I've been using the same HBA on Arch Linux for years as well as other distros, so it should have no issues. I did move things around to shoehorn my GTX 1070 back in there, thinking that maybe a cable came loose or something, I booted into Arch and everything works as expected.

HBA: Broadcom / LSI SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] (rev 02)
Arch Kernel: 5.4.64-1-lts also 5.8.8.arch1-1
Motherboard: Asrock Rack X399D8A-2T

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Not-very-passive-but-aggressive
Are you using the latest firmware, P20.00.07?

groveraus

Neophyte
I think there are some quirks that happen in the build that get rectified for the next build, as an example I was humming along nicely having installed over a month ago, applied a new nightly every couple of days and then the last one wouldn't respond after a reboot. I attached a screen and KB then rebooted again, it was having trouble with GRUB, UEFI and then some of the modules. Frustrated I waited a day or two, boot to the last known healthy from the list and then tried applying the latest Nightly from a new download, all works fine, humming away nicely again. Considering the stage of development the product is in I can live with that, slightly annoying but liveable. Obviously I'd be really concerned if this was the behaviour when in a production state.

brando56894

Neophyte Sage
Yeah things definitely get broken in each build.

Are you using the latest firmware, P20.00.07?
yep

[bran@server ~]$ sudo systool -a -v -c scsi_host | egrep "Class Device|model|version|proc_name|info|fwrev"
Class Device = "host0"
Class Device path = "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:0c:00.0/host0/scsi_host/host0"
proc_name = "mpt2sas"
version_bios = "07.23.01.00"
version_fw = "20.00.07.00"
version_mpi = "200.23"
version_nvdata_default= "14010006h"
version_nvdata_persistent= "14010006h"
version_product = "LSISAS2116"

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I think there are some quirks that happen in the build that get rectified for the next build, as an example I was humming along nicely having installed over a month ago, applied a new nightly every couple of days and then the last one wouldn't respond after a reboot. I attached a screen and KB then rebooted again, it was having trouble with GRUB, UEFI and then some of the modules. Frustrated I waited a day or two, boot to the last known healthy from the list and then tried applying the latest Nightly from a new download, all works fine, humming away nicely again. Considering the stage of development the product is in I can live with that, slightly annoying but liveable. Obviously I'd be really concerned if this was the behaviour when in a production state.
We agree with you... the NIGHTLY train is a different DEVELOPER experience from the USER release experience.

brando56894

Neophyte Sage
I recorded the boot messages just so I could see what it was saying and it looks like the actual issue is that it can't import the boot pool because it says it can't be found. My first install was on a flash drive and the second install on a SATA SSD.

Command: /sbin/zpool import -N 'boot-pool'
Yet when I boot back into Arch and do a zpool import -a -d /dev/disk/by-id it imports it without issue, zpool import -N 'boot-pool' didn't work though

[bran@server ~]$ zpool status
pool: boot-pool
state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
the features. See zpool-features(5) for details.
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
boot-pool ONLINE 0 0 0
wwn-0x5002538d403f22e9-part3 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors