Facing Problem on Using Hot Swap upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Sidz

Dabbler
Can anyone please help me on the following:-
1). when I upgraded my freenas server with new LSI9211-8i and flashed it to IT mode with P20 and installing istar BPU305 with 5 in hotswap 2TB Drives and 3 internal 1TB drives and tring to create a zpool with Raidz2. I getthe following errors.

• WARNING: Firmware version 17 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0
  • CRITICAL: Device: /dev/da4 [SAT], 62 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
  • CRITICAL: Device: /dev/da4 [SAT], 63 Offline uncorrectable sectors
Questions:-
1) How to sort these?
2) Are they really serious and dangerous to data stored.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
  1. Firmware can be corrected, there is a lot of posts about that in the forums
  2. Is this a new pool you are trying to create and the drives have no existing data?
  3. Sure it looks like da4 has issues and should be replaced
You stated that you are trying to setup a RaidZ2, so technically that will permit up to two drive failures. But, don't wait and get da4 replaced.

When was the last time a smart check was ran on these drives?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Is /dev/mps0 connected to any of your drives? I ask, because you said you upgraded your LSI9211 to P20, but freenas is reporting something at p17, and furthermore, freenas must not have been updated in a couple months, because it's still on p16 (P20 came out on freenas ~Sep/Oct 2015).

The other issue is the failing da4. Look at the smart results 'smartctl -a /dev/da4'. Expect to replace it soon.

Lucky Sidz

Dabbler
  1. Firmware can be corrected, there is a lot of posts about that in the forums
  2. Is this a new pool you are trying to create and the drives have no existing data?
  3. Sure it looks like da4 has issues and should be replaced
You stated that you are trying to setup a RaidZ2, so technically that will permit up to two drive failures. But, don't wait and get da4 replaced.

When was the last time a smart check was ran on these drives?

I didnt get the exact link and process for p20 whereas p17... etc were there
yes its a new pool
sure will get that replaced right away
earlier I was getting the SMART check errors but after I installed the new drivers (Which I tries... :) I am not getting that error but still it says "
  • WARNING: Firmware version 17 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0
"

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
P20 came out on freenas ~Sep/Oct 2015

Per depasseg, it seems like you may not be running a recent version of FreeNas since it would support P20. Can you please let us know the FreeNas build version you are running or perhaps have it check for updates?

Lucky Sidz

Dabbler
Is /dev/mps0 connected to any of your drives? I ask, because you said you upgraded your LSI9211 to P20, but freenas is reporting something at p17, and furthermore, freenas must not have been updated in a couple months, because it's still on p16 (P20 came out on freenas ~Sep/Oct 2015).

The other issue is the failing da4. Look at the smart results 'smartctl -a /dev/da4'. Expect to replace it soon.
I am not that tech expert... can you suggest how to check if that is connected to any drive? on the other hand people have discussed on p20 is running on Freenas 9.3.1

Lucky Sidz

Dabbler
Per depasseg, it seems like you may not be running a recent version of FreeNas since it would support P20. Can you please let us know the FreeNas build version you are running or perhaps have it check for updates?
I am running the most stable FreeNAS 9.3 stable

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I am running the most stable FreeNAS 9.3 stable
Can you post the exact version from the system tab? If you are on the latest version of freenas, you shouldn't be getting a warning about p16.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I am not that tech expert... can you suggest how to check if that is connected to any drive? on the other hand people have discussed on p20 is running on Freenas 9.3.1
Umm, it sounded like in your original post that you upgraded and added a new LSI card. What were the drives connected to before the upgrade?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm 90% sure FreeNas still runs P16 because it's the most stable driver. It does not run P20.
You are incorrect. FreeNAS has used the P20 driver for the last several months.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I feel like that's only used for the newer controllers, not his older LSISAS2008 one. Not 100% sure.
No offense, but since you haven't been here long enough to see all the posts related to when p20 hit, I'd suggest you do a quick search. My money is on danb35.

EDIT: I just noticed the unread thread above this one is the P20 thread with over 1100 views and was started in July 2015:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...er-version-20-for-dev-mps0.35552/#post-257962
upload_2016-1-19_22-19-22.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't know that there's any need to put money on either of us. My understanding is that there are various LSI chips, each one (or perhaps each family) with its own driver. I'm only aware of one chip family for which P16 and P20 are relevant. If my understanding is correct thus far, then I would be correct in saying that FreeNAS has been on the P20 driver, and thus requires the P20 firmware, for the last 4+ months. For @TheKiwi to be correct, there would need to be at least two different LSI P16 drivers, for different chipsets, in the original 9.3 release. I don't believe this is the case, but I'm certainly not claiming exhaustive knowledge.

Mlovelace

Guru
I have the 9211-8i card and it uses the p20 firmware/driver combo, has for several months now.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My understanding is that there are various LSI chips, each one (or perhaps each family) with its own driver.
Correct. The 3008 family is at p9 but the LSI9211 uses the 2008 chip which is at p20.

TheKiwi

Explorer
No offense, but since you haven't been here long enough to see all the posts related to when p20 hit, I'd suggest you do a quick search. My money is on danb35.

EDIT: I just noticed the unread thread above this one is the P20 thread with over 1100 views and was started in July 2015:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...er-version-20-for-dev-mps0.35552/#post-257962
View attachment 10095
Yeah, that post popped back up just after I made my posts in here. It must have been buried pages deep before : p. I read a lot of threads on the LSI controllers (I plan to get one) but evidently they were all older outdated ones.

Anyway, you are correct, it's P20 now.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(or perhaps each family)
Family.

LSI SAS2 HBA/entry-level RAID controllers are all at P20, at the moment. They all share the mps driver, with each controller having its own firmware. There's the plain ol' SAS 2008 (LSI SAS 9211, IBM M1015, LSI SAS 9240, etc...), the SAS 2308 (LSI SAS 9207, Supermicro X10SL7-F) which is an update to the 2008 with PCI-e 3.0 x8 and the SAS 2116, which provides 16 ports instead of 8 (think LSI SAS 9201).

Status
Not open for further replies.