Expanding system

nemisisak

Explorer
Hello,

My existing system is in my sig. I wish to increase my storage capacity with another 10 disk pool. Thinking about the situation I see that I have four options (if you can think of a better option please do say):

1) Just replace existing 10 disk pool with larger capacity disks

2) Build a second server

3) direct attached storage - no experiance with this and dont know where to start

4) buy a server case that can house 20+ disks

My requirements make things a bit more difficult.

I need my system to be reasonably quiet, this makes argueably the cheapest option of getting a server case a bit problematic. I could switch the fans out but then there is still the PSUs fans which I have no experiance in changing and particular desire to start opening things like that up to rewire. I would also need to purchase a cabinet. I cannot find a tower to house 20 disks though this would be a much simpler option.

Replacing the existing pool with larger disks seems a bit of a waste of my existing disks seeing as there is nothing wrong with them.

Building a second server also seems a bit of a waste as im not limited by RAM or processing power and also means managing two seperate systems.

DAS seems to be the most appealing option but i don't know too much about how it works and whats required. I guess it needs its own PSU, some sort of back plane & HBA?

I do recognise any option is going to be expensive with the disk quantity but this is a hobby therefore value for money is a requirement as much as reasonably possible.

Any thoughts on how best to attack this problem?

Cheers.

Jessep

Patron
How old are your disks? Power on hours?
Chances are they are reaching the end of useful life anyway.
I would change the disks for 6X10TB or 10X6TB giving you about double the space, maintaining the Z2.
If you shuck you likely might be able to swing 10X10TB though that gets spendy.