Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Expanding Capacity via extra drives

Pabs

Hi,

In a QNAP I am able to add more drives to an existing Array and then just expand the Array's capacity.

To confirm, is this not supported within FreeNAS/ZFS?

Asking as I started with a 4 Bay server, now have an 8 Bay one and would love to start using my remaining Bays and so far haven't been able to find a straight answer other than creating another pool and putting disks over there and what not...

Thanks,

blueether

FreeNAS Experienced
Last edited:

PhiloEpisteme

FreeNAS Guru
Asking as I started with a 4 Bay server, now have an 8 Bay one and would love to start using my remaining Bays and so far haven't been able to find a straight answer other than creating another pool and putting disks over there and what not...
Hi @Pabs. Check out the User Guide for Extending a Pool by either resilvering each drive in a vdev with a larger drive or adding a vdev to a pool.

EDIT: Or read the post above by @blueether. I let my browser go stale and missed the reply above.

PhiloEpisteme

FreeNAS Guru
@Pabs I think either you are misunderstanding us or we are not understanding your issue. You are correct, you cannot expand a vdev once made. But you CAN extend a pool.

For example, if you start as follows
Code:
pool1
  raidz1-0
    disk0
    disk1
    disk2
    disk3

You can stripe another vdev as follows

Code:
pool1
  raidz1-0
    disk0
    disk1
    disk2
    disk3
  raidz1-1
    disk4
    disk5
    disk6
    disk7

I believe the User Guide covers this some place.