Error with PLEX plugin after expanding pool

taekwonjudo

Dabbler
Firstly I'd like to say hi & thank you for this great community. I'm not a new FreeNAS user but certainly not an advanced user either by any means.

I've had a FreeNAS server running for... I think almost 10 years now. Started way back in 8.6 I believe! :)

Anyways, with this isolation situation, I finally had time to sit down & play around and try to build a new system on the 11.3 platform. Everything seemed to go smooth, installations went well, copied files over to the pool of 2x 8TB drives I had, even installed & set up PLEX without much headache at all! (Kudos to the development team! This is by far the best system I've worked with yet!)

I think I might have gotten a little over zealous at that point or maybe thought I knew more than I did... I had another couple of 8TB drives I wanted to add to the pool since my data put me at about 90% capacity (I know, bad idea).

I googled quite a bit, pretty sure I did everything as I was supposed to, expanded the pool with the new drives, they came in & gave me 2 sets of zvols (is that the correct terminology here?) mirrored in the pool. COOL! Just what I wanted to have happen. Storage space doubled in size, everything looked great.... but something happened with plex where the web app couldn't access the server anymore.

I stopped & restarted the plugin a few times nothing seemed to work.

At this point I figured, ok. uninstall the plugin & reinstall. Here's where things went south fast.

Now the plugin wouldn't install anymore giving me an error (sorry, I should have wrote that one down but didn't). I thought ok, the Jail must be causing an issue (I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the error). So I decided, let's disconnect & blow the jail away as well & start clean & fresh.

So... now I have no jails setup, when I try to install PLEX from the plugins, the installer get's 50.00% -ffmpeg, and then I get the error:

"Error: imedia had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: No default interface found Partial plugin destroyed"

At this point I couldn't remember if I needed to setup the jail first, so I tried that.... attempting to create a jail I get the following:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 157, in _new_conn
(self._dns_host, self.port), self.timeout, **extra_kw
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/connection.py", line 61, in create_connection
for res in socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, socket.SOCK_STREAM):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/socket.py", line 748, in getaddrinfo
for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):
socket.gaierror: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 672, in urlopen
chunked=chunked,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 376, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 994, in _validate_conn
conn.connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 334, in connect
conn = self._new_conn()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 169, in _new_conn
self, "Failed to establish a new connection: %s" % e
urllib3.exceptions.NewConnectionError: <urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x8350b1850>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 449, in send
timeout=timeout
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 720, in urlopen
method, url, error=e, _pool=self, _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2]
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 436, in increment
raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x8350b1850>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known'))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1091, in _call
return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1015, in _run_in_conn_threadpool
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__ws_threadpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1003, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 658, in releases_choices
choices = {str(k): str(k) for k in ListableReleases(remote=remote)}
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/release.py", line 46, in __init__
self.eol_list = IOCFetch.__fetch_eol_check__()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_fetch.py", line 114, in __fetch_eol_check__
req = requests.get(_eol)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 75, in get
return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 60, in request
return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/raven/breadcrumbs.py", line 341, in send
resp = real_send(self, request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 516, in send
raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /security/unsupported.html (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x8350b1850>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known'))

I know my data is fine, I was able to make a backup back to my old server... but I have a few questions here...

1) How do I get PLEX back up & running with this pool, or have I botched things up completely?

2) In the future if I want to expand the pool, is there something I did in this process that messed up & should I have done something differently?

System specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz
15.9GB Ram
FreeNAS-11.3-U1

Any help & direction would be greatly appreciated.

Output of a zpool status?

Any reason for using mirrors instead of RAID-Z2 (tolerates two disk failure), or depending on your risk appetite, RAID-Z1 (more useable space)?

taekwonjudo

Dabbler
Output of a zpool status?

Any reason for using mirrors instead of RAID-Z2 (tolerates two disk failure), or depending on your risk appetite, RAID-Z1 (more useable space)?

The 2 drives that were brought over were from my old NAS. I imported the drives so I could maintain the DATA.

I'd actually LIKE to switch to RAID-Z2 as I now have a total of 6 8TB drives.... am I better to take this to scratch since I have the DATA backed up & just start all over?

I'd actually LIKE to switch to RAID-Z2 as I now have a total of 6 8TB drives.... am I better to take this to scratch since I have the DATA backed up & just start all over?
Now's the time to do it, if that's your preference.

taekwonjudo

Dabbler
Ok... so we got everything back up & running, created the new pool using Raid-Z2, Started adding the Data back. I was able install Plex, configured the jail, everything LOOKS right... except when I try to add to my library in PLEX, where I pointed my jail (the media folder in the plex web app) is greyed out... I can't select it to pull in my media.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I look as to what's happening now?

taekwonjudo

Dabbler
Strange... Ok a Google search I found that Windows was causing the issue....

I had to change the permissions for "Everyone" through windows on that folder to full access to gain access.

Once I did that... back in business.

In case anyone else has the same issue, this video helped me solve it: