Error "[MiddlewareError: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada1": gpart: geom 'ada1': File exists ]"

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
Ok, I'm new to FreeNAS. And I like it. But this wasn't what I thought I would be doing following my first install. I have a single 3TB Drive installed as our bucket drive. I'm running FreeNAS v11.1-U4. The install was standard, nothing special or notable. However, I'll be honest and say I didn't know what I was doing and went into the drive manufacture process like a RAID device. Not really understanding the backing of the NAS. Needless to say, I then created a volume. I then had a DCHP issue and had to restart the server. When it came back up I went back to where I was and removed the volume and went to the wizard (I thought better). Well I now receive this error below. I'm hoping it's a simple issue. I've tried to destroy the disk but I'm told it's busy. So I'm at a stalemate. Please help !! I'm sure it's a simple fix.

Request Method:

Request URL:

http://x.x.x.x/system/wizard/

Software Version:

FreeNAS-11.1-U4 (89e3d93bc)

Exception Type:

MiddlewareError

Exception Value:

[MiddlewareError: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada1": gpart: geom 'ada1': File exists

]

Exception Location:

./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py in __gpt_labeldisk, line 359

Server time:

Wed, 23 May 2018 20:04:52 -0400

Traceback

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U4 (89e3d93bc)

Request Method: POST

Request URL: http://x.x.x.x/system/wizard/

Traceback:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner

42. response = get_response(request)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response

249. response = self._get_response(request)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response

178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view

162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view

23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view

68. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch

237. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch

88. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post

300. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done

357. **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/system/forms.py" in done

481. _n.create_volume(volume, groups=groups, init_rand=False)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in create_volume

752. vdevs = self.__prepare_zfs_vdev(vgrp['disks'], vdev_swapsize, encrypt, volume)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __prepare_zfs_vdev

687. swapsize=swapsize)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __gpt_labeldisk

359. raise MiddlewareError(f'Unable to GPT format the disk "{devname}": {error}')

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /system/wizard/

Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada1": gpart: geom 'ada1': File exists

]

Request information

GET

No GET data

Variable

Value

initial_wizard-current_step

'confirm'

__form_id

'dijit_form_Form_5'

FILES

No FILES data

COOKIES

Variable

Value

csrftoken

'********'

sessionid

'gjbuwor5h9yhoykpho5is7u1zp7sqkup'

fntreeSaveStateCookie

'root%2Croot%2F63%2Croot%2F63%2F64'

META

Variable

Value

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
Good check, but no, there want any other option messing prior to this. This is my first FreeNAS experience. I'm use to Enterprises class storage servers lol.

Redcoat

MVP

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
Please keep in mind this is one drive, not a raid drive system. I do understand the difference between a raid in a zfs format. The issue is whenever he command is issued within freenas regarding the main storage Drive I receive the are listed above. I am unable to destroy it within the platform. It would seem like all that needs to be done is that the drive needs to be formatted. However I'm unable to do that because I received the are listed. Unless I'm missing something here. Thanks for the help guys.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
First, is there any information on that drive that you want to keep?
Second: realize that there is no redundancy on a one-disk volume. It would be possible to add another drive later to make it a mirror, but until then, if that drive fails, all the information goes with it.
If the data is backed up separately, it is possible to manually dismount and destroy the remaining partitions on the drive so it can be used again.

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
First, is there any information on that drive that you want to keep?
Second: realize that there is no redundancy on a one-disk volume. It would be possible to add another drive later to make it a mirror, but until then, if that drive fails, all the information goes with it.
If the data is backed up separately, it is possible to manually dismount and destroy the remaining partitions on the drive so it can be used again.

Thank you for the contact.

No there isn't any information needed. It's a brand new drive just put into service.

And yes, I understand that there is Zero redundancy. Our idea is to send this off site to BackBlaze.

Again any help is usefull. Thank you for the utility link.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Okay... be warned that this will destroy data. It is best done on a FreeNAS or FreeBSD system with no other drives connected to avoid accidental erasures. Make a backup first of any data you want to keep. Repeat, make a backup first.

The problem is that swap is still in use on that drive. The drive in this case is ada1. Verify that it is the correct drive before continuing. The easy way is to have no other drives connected, but also diskinfo -v ada1 might help.

After verifying that ada1 is the correct drive to erase and that all valuable data has been backed up, use the shell:
Code:
# swapoff -a
# geli detach ada1p1

Then create the pool as desired.