Error getting available space (volume)

poobear85

Cadet
Hi,

I have a freenas system running 11.1-U7, it has 4 volumes, each volume is created from dedicated disks using raid-z2 with an additional spare per pool.

A disk failed in one volume, I identified the disk and the serial number, shutdown the system, replaced the failed disk and when it turned back on three of the volumes were unavailable and freenas reported that a disk was missing. So I shutdown the system again, replaced with the original disk and one of the three failed volumes came back online.

I am now left with two of the four volumes in an error state and no idea of how to proceed.

I also don't understand how a single failed disk can take any raid-z2 with a spare offline let alone three. I'm at a loose end on this and could do with some help please!

I also don't understand how a single failed disk can take any raid-z2 with a spare offline let alone three. I'm at a loose end on this and could do with some help please!
To start, could you post your full system hardware including exact model numbers? If it is related to hardware it would help folks to know the hardware up front.

Also, can we see the output of zpool status?

Did you run any SMART shote|long tests on your drives? If so what is the output for the offending drive?

Is it possible some cables became loose when you replaced the drive initially? Double-check connections to drives, the motherboard or HBA, power cables etc.