Enabling dtrace support for zilstat.ksh

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan_rw

Guru
Hi.

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or under devel / freenas.

I'm wondering what's involved in getting dtrace support in 8.3.1-p2 so that zilstat.ksh can be run? It seems it's designed to show zil activity to help you determine whether you could benefit from a dedicated zil device.

I know for testing, you can simply disable sync on the dataset and see if speeds improve. I'd like to actually see zil activity though. Even if performance is not being affected by sync writes, I'd like to know what kind of sync write load I have under certain workloads.

I imagine freenas would have to be recompiled to get dtrace in the kernel? I've read [url]https://wiki.freebsd.org/DTrace[/URL]. I'm not sure how I would modify the freenas config / build scripts to accomplish what they say to do for freebsd.

Plus I imagine you need a freebsd 8.3 vm to compile freenas 8.3? I have already setup a freebsd 9.1 vm for compiling freenas 9.1. I take it freebsd 9.1 can't compile for a freenas 8.3 build?

Thanks in advance.

paleoN

Wizard
I'm wondering what's involved in getting dtrace support in 8.3.1-p2 so that zilstat.ksh can be run? It seems it's designed to show zil activity to help you determine whether you could benefit from a dedicated zil device.
The chances of this are likely near zero unless you plan to do it yourself. I believe 8.3.1 will only see security & possibly bug fixes at this point. You could make a feature request for 9.1. Not sure how heavy dtrace is or how likely it is to get added though. Of course this is just my opinion. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.