emby plugin - no playback error

milesnorth

Cadet
I'm a freenas novice who just updated to 11.2 (no problems) and thought that I'd install my first plugin ever (like the new interface). I installed the emby plugin, set mount points, and defined the emby tv and movie libraries. At the emby web interface I selected a tv show and got the following message: "Playback error, No compatible streams are currently available." Is this a permissions problem?? A ffmpeg problem?? Or some other direction?

Thanks

RSVP

Explorer
This plugin has issues and doesnt work. I have been trying to fix it for months following the myriad of paths to do so. no luck. really frustrating.

indivision

Guru
Has anyone been able to fix this? I just installed with default settings and have the same issue.

Maybe it can be fixed with permissions changes?

Been working for me from 11.x up to current. After you have deployed the Emby plugin have you stopped the jail and added the mount point? Here's the process I have followed:
  • Deploy the Emby plugin
  • ssh into your FreeNAS/TrueNAS server
  • Once you have logged onto the server enter the emby jail using iocage console <name_of_jail> (you can get the list of jails using iocage list)
  • Create where you will be mounting your media (e.g., I use Music, Movies, TVShows off of the jail's root)
  • Log out of the jail
  • Stop the jail in the FreeNAS/TrueNAS GUI (you can do this all on the command line, but this way is easiest for me)
  • In the jail properties, click the Mount Points button - add where your media is located (Note: Jail must be stopped to do this - FreeNAS/TrueNAS won't let you do this on a live jail)
  • Start the jail.

indivision

Guru
Thank you. Good to know it can work.

I have set up the mount point. I set up the libraries and it scanned them properly. It shows all media with thumbs, etc.

But, when I try to play any video it says no stream available.

One difference from your setup may be that I am also accessing the same media files with Plex (that works). So, I may need to do something to get cross-permissions right. I also read something about mount points not working unless they are one-level deep with Emby?

Hmmmm... Does Plex (I never set it up - I don't need the complexity) and Emby both use the same IP address and stream on the same port?

indivision

Guru
Hmmmm... Does Plex (I never set it up - I don't need the complexity) and Emby both use the same IP address and stream on the same port?

No. They each have their own IP and different ports.

I don't need the complexity either. I've used Plex for a long time. But, it has started to perform oddly with annoying stutters, etc. So, I wanted to test Emby to see if it does better.

I went into the jail and added the emby user to the same group that plex uses for file access. So, it seems like permissions should be ok now. But, same error...

indivision

Guru
I tried the second entry for the emby plugin (not sure what the difference is). But, that resulted in the same error.

A potential new clue: I notice that the jail release for the emby plugins is different than all of my other jails and the others can't be upgraded to the version used by the emby plugin. It's using "12.2-RELEASE-p4" while the others use "12.1-RELEASE-p13".

I'm using TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE - Release Train.

Is it possible that this plugin is using a new jail from the nightly build or something and has some compatibility issue with my OS train?

RSVP

Explorer
My Emby stopped working after being prompted over and over for an update in Alerts. It still askes for updates even though the last one snapped it so I no longer could get into the gui. I have tried to install both plugins. emby never gets gui. emby server gets the playback error. Manual install wasnt able to either following their instuctions from their page. So just curious what the best practice is for everyone.

Mmx_py

Cadet
It seems it no longer installs ffmpeg which is what caused the issue for me, I was searching and searching for a fix on a fresh install of emby 4.5.4.0 on truenas 12.0-U2.1 and I kept getting this no compatible streams error when trying to play a video, I fixed it by going to my jails and dropping into a shell for the emby jail and running "pkg install ffmpeg" then rebooted emby and after that my videos played fine both locally and externally both through the app and browsers, I now have no issues

indivision

Guru
It seems it no longer installs ffmpeg which is what caused the issue for me, I was searching and searching for a fix on a fresh install of emby 4.5.4.0 on truenas 12.0-U2.1 and I kept getting this no compatible streams error when trying to play a video, I fixed it by going to my jails and dropping into a shell for the emby jail and running "pkg install ffmpeg" then rebooted emby and after that my videos played fine both locally and externally both through the app and browsers, I now have no issues

Hey! That worked. Thank you for taking the time to post. Hopefully, it can help others in the same place.

How did you figure out that was needed? It seems like it must be the ffmpeg version or one of its dependencies. Because, without this step, it still generates "ffmpeg log" entries.

Mmx_py

Cadet
I was searching around forums for a fix and came across a forum that was talking about ffmpeg and transcoding and it led me to wonder if ffmpeg was even installed and it wasn't, I searched for a few days for a fix and this just happened to be it, I tried everything including reinstalling following emby's website freebsd install instructions, nothing however led me to checking if ffmpeg was installed, it was really just a shot in the dark that I tried it cuz everything else I tried didn't work from every forum talking about fixes, glad I could help and hope other people who are having this issue with truenas and emby find this forum and fix!

djdaveyg

Cadet
Thank you Mmx_py, couldn't find a solution until I came across your post, worked for me.

bigFan

Cadet
Thank you Mmx_py. Was driving crazy after updating truenas to 12.0. This solved my problem.

sirknight115

Dabbler
HOLY SHIT !!! IT WORKED !! I BEEN TRYING FOR DAYS! AND pkg install ffmpeg worked !!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Saba

Cadet
¡Olé! Two days with this problem and it was so simply to solve. THANKS MAN! Mmx_py You´re the boss!!!

LLeo

Dabbler
Just further serving the "for dummies" crowd--of which I'm a a charter member--for those who are unfamiliar with Shell commands, you can use the first couple of steps from a previously posted updating script for Plex found at: https://www.ceos3c.com/freenas/manually-update-plex-freenas/ modified here for the ffmpeg install described above:

In the Truenas Shell, type in:

jls [enter] (This will show you the jail numbers for your plugins). Next, type in:

jexec [jail#] csh (for us dummies, jexec 1 csh or whatever #)

Then as described above:

pkg install ffmpeg

Emby is working fine now thanks to the smarter people above helping us "dummies" out and for that we are thankful! Good work!