Emby jail not seeing subdirectories

SteveRS

Cadet
First is the issue I am having. I have FreeNAS 11.2-U3 and the Emby plugin 4.0.2.0_1. After updating the FreeNAS and re-installing the Emby plugin, the jail can no longer see subdirectories in the pool at the given mountpoint. For example, I used the pool SharedMedia and mount it at /media in the jail. It should have several subdirectories (Movies, Music, Shorts etc), but they do not show up. I think this might be a permissions issue, but I have not found where to correctly change the permissions. Also, if I open a shell in the jail, the directory /media does exist, but there is nothing under it.

Second, how I got here. Last week the Roku Emby client failed to login, saying that the user or password was incorrect. A few weeks earlier it worked fine. I checked the FreeNAS machine and everything looked good, so I removed the Emby plugin and reinstalled it. The reinstall hung the machine for 30 minutes so I was forced to do a powerdown. After that I noticed that an update from 11.2-U2 to 11.2-U3 was available, so I installed that. I removed the Emby plugin again and reinstalled it and it loaded fine. However, ever since this point I have had the above problem. I also installed the Plex plugin and it has the same problem.

Although I have been running FreeNAS for over a year now, I have not really dug deep into it, so any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated.

anmnz

Patron
After updating the FreeNAS and re-installing the Emby plugin, the jail can no longer see subdirectories in the pool at the given mountpoint. For example, I used the pool SharedMedia and mount it at /media in the jail. It should have several subdirectories (Movies, Music, Shorts etc), but they do not show up.
If those subdirectories are separate datasets, you would need to mount each one explicitly in the jail.

SteveRS

Cadet
If those subdirectories are separate datasets, you would need to mount each one explicitly in the jail.
You are correct. I thought that I had tried that, but I tried it again and it works now. However, I have found another associated issue. I have one dataset named "TV Shows" with a space. When I try to mount it I get the following error when starting the emby service:

Run Time Error
jail: mount.fstab: Shows: not an absolute pathname

I assume that it is having problems with the source dataset having a space in it. I seem to remember that you can give it the space character as a special character, but I don't remember how.

Baenwort

Explorer
If you create the mount via the cli you can still use spaces in the mount string via the \040 string as a replacement for space. I don't know anyway since the move to iocage from warden to use mounts with spaces in the via the GUI.

According to this: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/37802 bugfix from 8 months ago it should be possible somehow via the GUI but I've only ever gotten it to work via the CLI.

Last edited: