Editing the Transmission Config file in FreeNAS 11.2

Mark Holtz

Contributor
Just in case anyone needs this...
  1. Make sure your plug-in is running.
  2. Go to Jails → transmission → three dot menu → Shell
  3. Type in service transmission stop . This is important otherwise your changes to the settings files will be discarded when the transmission process is stopped.
  4. Type in vi /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json to edit your settings.
  5. Type in service transmission start to restart transmission.
  6. Type in exit to exit your shell.

gparaskevas

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am trying to migrate my transmission jail to iocage (*new jail and migrate the settings and storage).
I am almost able to do so but there are some minor issues. I moved all the transmission settings from the old jail to the new and mounted the storage to /Downloads and not to home/Downloads.
Now the issue is that the settings.json always says that download directory is /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads nomatter what i type there after restart its the same. This also creates issues with the Transmission GTK UI when I add a new torrent it says the download dir is c:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads.

I know I can mount my storage to home/Downloads but then I have to set all torrents location to that as well. Also this will leave still the issue with new torrents always point to c:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

Anyone got any solutions or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
George

pololoo

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am trying to migrate my transmission jail to iocage (*new jail and migrate the settings and storage).
I am almost able to do so but there are some minor issues. I moved all the transmission settings from the old jail to the new and mounted the storage to /Downloads and not to home/Downloads.
Now the issue is that the settings.json always says that download directory is /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads nomatter what i type there after restart its the same. This also creates issues with the Transmission GTK UI when I add a new torrent it says the download dir is c:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads.

I know I can mount my storage to home/Downloads but then I have to set all torrents location to that as well. Also this will leave still the issue with new torrents always point to c:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

Anyone got any solutions or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
George

I have the exact same issue. Dont know why but it doesnt allow me to change the download path. I tried by shell editing the settings.json file and nothing..... I change it and when i enter again to the file.... pufff gone!

its like a nightmare

1548470116607.png

Last edited:

pololoo

Cadet
Hello George,

I had the same problem a few days ago, add this line to /etc/rc.conf file:

transmission_download_dir="/home/Downloads"

that worked for me.
how you did it?? because when i changed it and tried to start the service again....

1548469976855.png

Neon

Dabbler
I've documented the installation I did:

Code:
#Mount Points:
#
#Source:                                 Destination:
#
#/mnt/Storage/Downloads                  /mnt/iocage/jails/transmission_2/root/data/downloads
#/mnt/Storage/IncompleteDownloads        /mnt/iocage/jails/transmission_2/root/data/incompletedownloads
#/mnt/Storage/Torrentfiles               /mnt/iocage/jails/transmission_2/root/data/torrentfiles
#
#

pkg install transmission-cli transmission-daemon transmission-web

ee /etc/rc.conf

# add these lines

transmission_enable="YES"
transmission_download_dir="/data/downloads"

# press Escape to get to the menu to exit and save.

service transmission start

# wait a few seconds

service transmission stop

ee /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

# change lines to:

"incomplete-dir": "/data/incompletedownloads",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,

# add lines:

"watch-dir": "/data/torrentfiles",
"watch-dir-enabled": true

# press Escape to get to the menu to exit and save.

service transmission start

# access transmission: http://IPADDRESS:9091/

dramenard

Cadet
Good job!!

Bjureus1

Dabbler
Just in case anyone needs this...
  1. Make sure your plug-in is running.
  2. Go to Jails → transmission → three dot menu → Shell
  3. Type in service transmission stop . This is important otherwise your changes to the settings files will be discarded when the transmission process is stopped.
  4. Type in vi /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json to edit your settings.
  5. Type in service transmission start to restart transmission.
  6. Type in exit to exit your shell.

Hi Mark

New to the forum and quite new in freenas.
Having some trouble with transmission after upgrading from Frenas 11.1 to 11.2.

After installing transmission I cant access it.
Noticed that the transmission plugin in freenas 11.2 use another ip address and the same port as earlier, 9091.

After the transmission plugin install I try to access it but get the message:

403: Forbidden
Unauthorized IP Address.
Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.
If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.
If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

Why is that?

Tried to config the settings.json but dont understand how to save the changes, so cant really say if this fixes the problem or not.

Can you help me explain?

Regards Erik

Have some trouble with unauthorized ip after installing transmission in

Supa

Patron
Hi Mark

New to the forum and quite new in freenas.
Having some trouble with transmission after upgrading from Frenas 11.1 to 11.2.

After installing transmission I can't access it.
Noticed that the transmission plugin in freenas 11.2 use another IP address and the same port as earlier, 9091.

After the transmission plugin install I try to access it but get the message:

403: Forbidden
Unauthorized IP Address.
Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.
If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.
If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

Why is that?

Tried to config the settings.json but don't understand how to save the changes, so can't really say if this fixes the problem or not.

Can you help me explain?

Regards Erik

Have some trouble with unauthorized IP after installing transmission in

- Stop the Transmission Jail

- Go to shell --> edit /mnt/(v1 - insert yours)/iocage/jails/transmission/root/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

Edit the settings.json and just set rpc-whitelist-enabled to 'false'.

Or set rpc-whitelist to "127.0.0.1,192.168.*.*"

1574631902410.png