Easy hardware for freenas

xames

Patron
I want to build a simple freenas for my house, i try with all pc but seems to many errors, i don't know if cables or power supply or hard drives, all toghether, anyone can link a simple mini case with all in on amazon.es for me? thanks. With 8gb ram is sufficient and new ssd, thanks.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You should see if the FreeNAS Mini is available on amazon.es. iX has already pre-integrated everything for FreeNAS, and all you would need to do is to select your desired SSD.

xames

Patron
I can't see on amazon.es, only in usa.

And some bad comments on usa:

These units use the ASRock Rack c2750D4I motherboard, which has a known hardware flaw related to the Intel Atom C2xxx chip that results in basically bricking the device after a couple of years. IXsystems extended the hardware warranty from 1 year to 3 years on these because of it. But, if you were unfortunate enough that yours survived past three years before it bricked (as mine did), you are seemingly SOL. Don't expect any longevity out of this expensive piece of hardware.

Last edited:

Tony-1971

Contributor
Maybe you find the old model. The new ones have Intel Atom C3xxx.
See https://www.FreeNAS.org/FreeNAS-mini/
You can try with Supermicro (see my system), Dell Txx, HP Microserver, etc if FreeNAS Mini is not on amazon.es

Last edited:

xames

Patron
Ok supermicro, dell, hp, good, but i need a finished one, can u share a link? And proved to work on freenas, nextcloud and all the stuff.

Why is not in amazon.es? if you send me some i can distribute in spain on amazon, i don't know exactly how amazon works, but could be easy, maybe some other spanish people could buy it.

Last edited:

Tony-1971

Contributor
I don't know why but also not present in amazon.it
But if I search on amazon.com, some FreeNAS Mini will be shipped to Italy (never tried it)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Or you could find a trustworthy local Supermicro distributor/assembler and let them build a system like the "Backup NAS" I have in my signature.

HP Microservers were a good cheap alternative for quite some time, but the current Gen10 is really expensive. If you can get your hands on a Gen8 Microserver that would get you a great small and quiet system. Make sure to use an SSD and e.g. an M.2 to USB adapter for the boot drive and not a standard USB key, should you go with the HP. They have an internal USB port for boot drives, but the standard keys just wear out too fast with FreeNAS.

xames

Patron
Thanks patrick, i don't understand at all over the usb problem, Hp don't accept usb sticks to install freenas then?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
USB sticks will die really quick when used as a FreeNAS boot drive. Better use an SSD. There are adapters so you can use an M.2 SSD and the convenient internal USB port of the HP machine.

If you go for the Supermicro system you don't need an adapter, you can just plug in an M.2 drive.

xames

Patron
I finally buy this Hp Microserver Gen10.X3216, with 2 ssd cruzial mx500 of 1 tb. (go fine this brand with freenas?)
FreeNas could be installed there yes? I see old post 2017 with problems with that, but...

The boot Drive wich size is recommended, only for nextcloud and some dhcp and dns services and thinks like that.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Minimum boot volume size is 16 GB. Anything larger is fine, but the space will be wasted.

xames

Patron
but ssd of 16gb isn't out there? I figure that i need and adapter to put my 2 disks of 1tb ssd inside this machine, true? a cheap kingdian ssd go fine to boot freenas? or is not good brand to work?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The hard disk trays are for 3.5" disks, so you will need some adapters, yes. The new "plus" model of the Gen10 offers a 2.5" conversion kit, if I remember correctly. The standard version of the Gen10 was touted as "trayless" so you might want to double check if you can somehow fix 2.5" SATA SSDs in there. Search for and download the maintenance manual for example ;)

For your boot device you can use a cheap SSD like these:

And an enclosure like this:

Essentially building yourself a "deluxe" robust USB drive. Take care to pick a SATA SSD and a SATA enclosure or an NVME SSD and an NVME enclosure.

xames

Patron
To run nextcloud over freenas with https fine the best option is danb35 script yes?

xames

Patron
How i boot the system, i burn iso image on the boot device itself?

Samuel Tai

Burn the ISO to another device, which will become the install disk. Boot from the install disk, and you can start your installation then.

xames

Patron
Yeah i know how but normally i use USB STICK, i will try with a disk, more difficult to burn iso there maybe.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer