Dropped Connection using AFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmac3144

Cadet
I have just built a FreeNAS box using 5 x 2 Tb WD SATA2 drives and a ASUS M4A89GTD motherboard (Realtek 8111E Gigabit LAN).

I'm using ZFS single-parity. I have both AFP and CIFS shares set up and working. Transfer speed is generally great (120 Mb/s). In general it seems to be doing well with one major problem: connection drops whenever I try to do any long-running operation. This seems to affect only OSX/AFP so far, but I haven't used the Windows share quite as much yet. The worst situation is trying to move my iTunes library. iTunes is dirt slow to start with, and it takes many, many hours to move files from an existing machine to the FreeNAS. Problem is that I get disconnected routinely. Just clicking on the freenas in Finder brings it back, but it FUBARs the whole iTunes process.

I've seen other threads on another forum about this general issue, but no suggestions that made much sense.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this? Should I consider using a different NIC? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to really like freenas except for this one pretty serious problem.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.