Drive space still used but files not locatable

chrisch

Cadet
Hi,

First time poster but have been using FreeNAS for around 4 years now. Running a pretty standard setup with an HP Microserver 54L with 3x 3TB drives in RAIDZ1 and FreeNAS running from a USB stick, I'm running FreeNAS 11.2 U5.

I have some data which is no longer there after a power cut, specifically a music collection made up mostly of FLAC files. The pool still reports that the space is used however. Running du -h -d1 in the shell in the root folder of the share shows most things as expected except for an entry which is given solely as a "." rather than a folder name and has a size of 1.9TB which is the same size as the lost music collection.

Is there a way to access and retrieve this data. It seems very odd that it is reported under "." and the size being the same as the missing data makes me hope its retrievable.

Thank you for any help.

Fredda

Guru
Running du -h -d1 in the shell in the root folder of the share shows most things as expected except for an entry which is given solely as a "." rather than a folder name and has a size of 1.9TB which is the same size as the lost music collection.

Is there a way to access and retrieve this data. It seems very odd that it is reported under "." and the size being the same as the missing data makes me hope its retrievable.
The "." folder is the folder you started the du run in. So the 1.9TB you see is the sum of all the other folders listed.
If you add an additional -c switch, you'll see an additional total value, which has the same size as the "." folder.

iammattjones

Cadet
I'm having the same problem. Power outage caused my mp3, movies, etc to disappear from the freenas host. I think the Plex VM that had the share mounted killed it. That VM is also non-operational due to HDD corruption on the host. That outage really wreaked havoc on my lab. Have you had any success?

Hi,

First time poster but have been using FreeNAS for around 4 years now. Running a pretty standard setup with an HP Microserver 54L with 3x 3TB drives in RAIDZ1 and FreeNAS running from a USB stick, I'm running FreeNAS 11.2 U5.

I have some data which is no longer there after a power cut, specifically a music collection made up mostly of FLAC files. The pool still reports that the space is used however. Running du -h -d1 in the shell in the root folder of the share shows most things as expected except for an entry which is given solely as a "." rather than a folder name and has a size of 1.9TB which is the same size as the lost music collection.

Thank you for any help.