Drive activity every 5 seconds

rayeason

Cadet
I am sorry I wasn't clear: what I want to say is that your newer faster 7200rpm HGST drives are just making more noise. Try to replace them with slower quieter drives if you don't need the performance.
The drive is silent when its not in the nas. I ran a disk check on it and didnt hear a peep out of it for 3 hours.

It sounds like its reading and writing to the drive.

Is this still a newer, faster drive problem?

The HGST is not the newer drive. The Maxdigitals are.

The HGST was the first drive I replaced (about a year ago) and it was doing the same thing until I reduced the speed of the fans.

It's been silent ever sense. This was over a year ago.

The Maxdigital is the one with the issue.

melonion

Dabbler
Regarding switching the System Dataset to the boot pool, is this also possible for TrueNAS SCALE?
I am also quite annoyed by the constant lighting up and noise and power draw - the NAS should be idle most of the day, and energy costs are a real concern these days...

NugentS

MVP
Yes it is. Wether its a good idea depends on your hardware

melonion

Dabbler
But where? I have not found the settings sections mentioned here before.
Can it really be a bad idea to spin down a drive when it is sitting idle for hours?

NugentS

MVP
System Settings / Advanced

nedo

Cadet
Hello,

I had the same issue on my TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3

I recently demoted it to barebone NAS, since I was disappointed with both its Kubernetes and VM capabilities. Although those features are a nice to have, I found that it's better to have a dedicated server for those things. (My experience with Truecharts was abysmal).

Anyways, I noticed disk and CPU led activity every 5 seconds, and it was very annoying to hear in the evening in my living room.

I tried everything that had been suggested in this thread, but no joy.

However, I finally managed to fix the problem:
I unset the pool under Apps -> Settings (I no longer have any apps, but that was still left on).
After doing that, the drive activity stopped immediately. Silence!

I also found that I could restore the S.M.A.R.T. tick on the drives, which I had disabled while troubleshooting. System Dataset Pool is set to boot-pool of course.

Power consumption dropped from 32W to 24W (I use a smart plug to measure it), the disks are spinning down now! Yuppie!

Hope this helps someone else.

nestor_78

Dabbler
Hello,

I had the same issue on my TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3

I recently demoted it to barebone NAS, since I was disappointed with both its Kubernetes and VM capabilities. Although those features are a nice to have, I found that it's better to have a dedicated server for those things. (My experience with Truecharts was abysmal).

Anyways, I noticed disk and CPU led activity every 5 seconds, and it was very annoying to hear in the evening in my living room.

I tried everything that had been suggested in this thread, but no joy.

However, I finally managed to fix the problem:
I unset the pool under Apps -> Settings (I no longer have any apps, but that was still left on).
After doing that, the drive activity stopped immediately. Silence!

I also found that I could restore the S.M.A.R.T. tick on the drives, which I had disabled while troubleshooting. System Dataset Pool is set to boot-pool of course.

Power consumption dropped from 32W to 24W (I use a smart plug to measure it), the disks are spinning down now! Yuppie!

Hope this helps someone else.
Can confirm your report for truenas scale.

System Dataset Pool set to boot-pool alone was not sufficient. Unset the pool as described by you and silence.

However, after starting a vm (debian) the disk activity returned (maybe somehow less frequent / less loud). I assume that the syslogd / journald running in the vm is the cause. After shutting down the vm again silence.

Maybe I add a ssd for vms and apps. Will report on power consumption in this case. For the moment pool consing of two hdds will be used only for smb purposes.