Downtime unacceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems I have a sickness, I'm just a filthy casual home user but for some strange reason the thought of having my server off for any amount of time makes my skin crawl. What's the deal? there is only my family using it occasionally and I use the hell outta it obviously.

Does anyone else have this sickness?

The reason I even noticed this is my 96gigs of ram on my server somehow turned into 88gigs of ram, so one stick is no longer registering. I know I need to shut it down and diagnose the problem but i just can't bring myself to do it.

seanm

Guru
Damaged RAM could end up causing you ever worse downtime, sounds worth investigating.

garm

Wizard
I feel your pain man.. my home lab accidentally became a document management solution for a lot more people then just the household.. downtime is a pain but RAM is no joke.

I’m half seriously looking at redundant VPS and object storage for most of the things I use my FreeNAS box for just because of this, i just have to ignore all the reasons I’ve been using lab servers for the past 15 years...

I just crawled my logs and it looks like it's been running like this for over 200 days. I log into my gear occasionally for work but I strongly oppose that kind of thing since I know my employer can easily afford anything I have at my house. I'm seriously debating a ram upgrade while I'm at it since I know at least 11 slots are good but that will introduce even more down time while them memory is tested.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This might be corrected with a quick remove and reinstall of the memory. It is almost half the time just a dirty electrical contact. Shut it down. Blow the dust out and see what happens.

Shut it down.
see and there lies my sickness

Would this work be doable on a TrueNAS HA unit? shut down one head do hardware maintenance then bring it back up and do the same on the other head? or is that not really how they work?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
see and there lies my sickness

Would this work be doable on a TrueNAS HA unit? shut down one head do hardware maintenance then bring it back up and do the same on the other head? or is that not really how they work?
Yes. The HA heads will allow you to pull a controller and the storage moves to the other controller. Here is a video demo:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What do you think? Ready to jump into one of the TrueNAS systems?

lol I was ready when I picked up this 36bay machine but there was a communication break down (appeared my emails were being filtered out) and I ended up with this instead. I can't imagine iX will be hearing from me this year. It'll be a while yet before I fill this up and I was just looking at Quartz Coins lol

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
My mistaken comment to this thread initial post duplicated by probable spammer:

This is when you setup redundancy and failover. :D

By the way, I have always wanted this "sickness" but since everyone else here is of low comprehension (and focused on Windows), I have not had any success of even getting them to avoid wifi thereby supplanting with ethernet and a good (OPNsense) firewall. Not to mention that they'd also benefit from a caching web proxy I'd have on the OPNsense box-- they do all primarily web browse and play silly facebook games afterall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.