Download to a different pool

Jerren

Explorer
The problem i have is that i only seem to have 2 options at the moment:

A) download to the jail pool in the home/downloads folder of transmission and then move it myself to where i want the file.
B) download to the jail pool in the home/downloads folder of transmission, but by using a mount point and setting a source destination, it moves it to the other pool once download is complete.

In itself option B isn't bad except that my jail pool is on SSD's and i don't want to wear those out by torrenting on it.

So i try to set a new location which is basically otherpool/downloads. I can do this in the webgui np but when i start the torrent download it will download like 4mb and then say permission denied, try again. I don't understand why permission would be denied since there is a transmission user with ID 921 full control settings on the otherpool ACL. That user works when i use option B because then it has no problem moving files to the new spot.

As i named the thread, how do i get transmission to download to a different pool? Or is there no way and should i relocate my jailthing to the otherpool that doesn't consist of SSD's?

diedrichg

Wizard
Sounds like permissions aren't correct on the desired pool/dataset

Jerren

Explorer
That part is obvious yes, what isn't obvious is why. Like i said i made a user for transmission with the ID 921 with full control settings AND applied settings recursively as most manuals indicate to do. So the user with the approriate settings exists, so does a group for it.

Now i followed a guide for this but in that guide he says the ACL is for share permissions, which i interpret as. You are allowed acces to this pool with these rights.

And that is also why i asked if it's possible to download straight to a different pool or not?

diedrichg

Wizard
Did you select "Inherit" on the ACL screen?

Jerren

Explorer
So since it's been awhile now. I haven't found anything permission wise, i'm gonna assume i have to move my jail group to my data pool so transmission has rights to the folders in that pool. Might have to be careful with losing data on my emby install, gonna be interesting.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No need to move the jail. That's what jail mounts are for. You can mount the other dataset inside your jail.
1598751078820.png

Jerren

Explorer
I know you can do this and i have set that up to work in the past. But the thing is my transmission jail is on SSD's. So i if i use the mount point thing, the torrent will download to the ssd pool first and then move it to the place i pointed to in the mount points option.
I wasn't sure it worked like this at first but i've kept an eye on it and the torrent doesn't show up in the folder i pointed to in the mount points option until the download is complete. So if i do it like that then i'm basically gonna ruin my ssd's way too fast by downloading torrents to it.

That's why i think my only option is to just set up a jail dataset for transmission on my HDD pool.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
FreeNAS only allows you to have one jail pool.

Jerren

Explorer
Ah didn't know this, but like i said a few posts back. I'm gonna have to look into moving the jail pool from one disk pool to another disk pool. Haven't really found anything yet though.

Jerren

Explorer
Just a quick update but i seem to be able to have a 2nd jail pool. I now have a jail pool for transmission on my HDD pool and a jail pool for emby on my SSD pool. Still testing if it all works as it should but seems good so far.

Appearantly when you have transmission jail on the same pool as your data pool the mount point mechanic lets you download straight to that folder, which doesn't happen like i had it first where tranmission was on another disk pool because in that case it downloads to the diskpool first and then transfers to the other diskpool.