Docker socket issues and tab complete through ssh

musicderp

Cadet
I know it's still early days, but when trying to install portainer with docker using this command

docker container run -d \
-p 9000:9000 \
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock portainer/portainer

the docker.sock file actually doesn't exist there. Another issue I've been having is that I don't get any sort of tab auto completion when ssh'ed into the machine. Tab literally just puts a tab and while obviously not a necessity, it's quite an inconvenience not to have it. If anyone knows what I may have done wrong, please let me know.

Thank you so much and I am looking forward to running this on everything!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Tab completion is handled by your shell. I'm not sure if the TrueNAS settings are being applied, but it won't hurt to check what your user's shell is set to.

Kieeps

Dabbler
I know it's still early days, but when trying to install portainer with docker using this command

docker container run -d \
-p 9000:9000 \
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock portainer/portainer

the docker.sock file actually doesn't exist there. Another issue I've been having is that I don't get any sort of tab auto completion when ssh'ed into the machine. Tab literally just puts a tab and while obviously not a necessity, it's quite an inconvenience not to have it. If anyone knows what I may have done wrong, please let me know.

Thank you so much and I am looking forward to running this on everything!
Try this:
find / -name "docker.sock"

musicderp

Cadet
Thanks so much for the advice on the shell, that fixed it! Now just having the docker issue, I guess not having portainer isn't the end of the world but I'd like to be able to run that.

musicderp

Cadet
Whoops, looks like docker just wasn't running and I had to start it... yikes. Thanks everyone!