docker-freebsd in iocage

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetSoerfer

Explorer
I'm trying to install docker-freebsd in an iocage jail. I realise that docker-freebsd is far from stable and currently doesn't even have a maintainer, but I'd still like to try.

I've created a VNET iocage jail:

iocage create --name docker -r LATEST
ip4_addr="vnet0|10.1.1.2/24"
vnet="on" defaultrouter="10.42.1.1"
boot="on" host_hostname="docker"
allow_raw_sockets="1"
mount_devfs="1"
allow_mount_devfs="1"
allow_mount_zfs="1"
allow_mount="1"
enforce_statfs="0"

I managed to fix a couple of errors:
root@docker:/ # docker -d
netstat: kvm not available: /dev/mem: No such file or directory
Fixed by editing /usr/local/etc/rc.d/docker with ${docker_nat_iface=epair0b} in the jail.

WARN[0000] Kernel version detection is available only on linux
INFO[0000] Listening for HTTP on unix (/var/run/docker.sock)
FATA[0000] Error starting daemon: error initializing graphdriver: Cannot find root filesystem tank/iocage/jails/docker/root: exit status 1: "/sbin/zfs zfs get -rHp -t filesystem all tank/iocage/jails/docker/root" => cannot open 'tank/iocage/jails/docker/root': dataset does not exist
Fixed with root@pegasus:~ # zfs jail 32 freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U5.

Question: How do I persist this, as I believe this is undone on reboot? What happens when I update to 11.1-U6 or 11.2?

WARN[0000] Kernel version detection is available only on linux
INFO[0000] Listening for HTTP on unix (/var/run/docker.sock)
WARN[0000] Running kldload pf failed with message: , error: exit status 1
WARN[0000] port allocator - using fallback port range 49153-65535 due to error: open /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range: no such file or directory
INFO[0000] Bridge interface not found, trying to create it
FATA[0000] Error starting daemon: unknown exec driver native
Um, I'm lost here. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
m0nkey said:
FreeNAS does not have the linux-c7 emulation, so it'll make it impossible to get working

Well, that isn't really true as it was done in FreeNAS 10 and I have also done it myself in the past in a Warden Jail (but quickly saw the limitations and gave up with it).

I agree it isn't really a good idea to persist with having docker directly run on FreeNAS/FreeBSD despite the positive benefit of having docker being able to directly access pool locations.

NetSoerfer

Explorer
Docker on FreeNAS requires both Docker and Linux support. FreeNAS does not have the linux-c7 emulation, so it'll make it impossible to get working. In order to use Docker on FreeNAS, you must install a VM.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/vms.html#docker-rancher-vm

There's a docker port called Docker-Container - does that only work on FreeBSD but not on FreeNAS? Has linux-c7 emulation been specifically removed from FreeBSD for FreeNAS?
Well, that isn't really true as it was done in FreeNAS 10 and I have also done it myself in the past in a Warden Jail (but quickly saw the limitations and gave up with it).

I agree it isn't really a good idea to persist with having docker directly run on FreeNAS/FreeBSD despite the positive benefit of having docker being able to directly access pool locations.
I'm curious, what are those limitations? I'm not looking for a lot, I'm not planning to set up a complex microservice infrastructure. All I need is a host for a home use DMS that isn't available for FreeBSD, but for Docker.

I kind of dislike the need for a VM - not so much for its resource overhead, which shouldn't amount to much more than some RAM, but for the need to access storage through the network. Native ZFS for Docker seems promising, and I haven't heard about any specific limitations of Docker on FreeBSD that would prevent me from using it.

Could you elaborate on those, and why you ultimately gave up on it?

sretalla