SOLVED DNSMasq fails to start in 11.2-U2

I'm attempting to migrate DNSMasq from a Warden jail under 11.1-U7 to an IOcage jail under 11.2-U2. DNSMasq has been working successfully for me as a DNS/DHCP server under Warden. I've managed to install DNSMasq and get it started successfully in an IOcage jail. However, when I run it against the same configuration file (dnsmasq.conf) that I successfully used under Warden, DNSmasq fails to start with the error:

Code:
dnsmasq: cannot create DHCP BPF socket: No such file or directory

It appears that this issue (Bug# 53334) has, within the last few months, been resolved for 11.2-U2, but I'm still getting the error.

Anyway, I've isolated the trigger for the error to just one line of the 180 lines in the configuration file.

Code:
dhcp-range=10.1.1.51,10.1.1.100,255.255.255.0,24h

Am I missing something? Any thoughts of where to go from here?

Last edited:

colmconn

Contributor
did you set bpf on on the iocage managed jail? IIRC, the command is something like
Code:
iocage set bpf=on <jail_name>

@colmconn Thank You! iocage set bpf=yes <jail_name> did the trick.

Am I correct in saying, not all properties are visible or can be altered when editing the jail via the WebUI?

D

dlavigne

They should all be there. The fun part is finding which expanded tab contains the knob you need as there are so many:

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 422
@dlavigne That's what I would have thought too, but not finding it is what prompted me to put up this post. I've looked yet again (...and again ... and again) and still can't see it.

D

dlavigne

Ha, that one is more obvious (sorta). It's in the Basic Properties but spelled out as Berkeley Packet Filter.

@dlavigne Is that what it stands for?! I've learnt something new. Thank you!

Last edited: